Gransnet forums

Chat

Debenhams....do you use it?

(51 Posts)
Lily65 Tue 09-Apr-19 14:04:15

It's sad if people lose their jobs.

luluaugust Fri 31-May-19 20:00:55

I agree Septimia if only they would put all the same clothes together. I wondered if M& S have finally begun to realise this as I noticed a lot of the dresses were together last time I was wandering around. We have a Debenhams here and we are crossing our fingers they are staying, the only Department store left here.

Septimia Fri 31-May-19 09:56:17

I don't like people to lose jobs and think it's a shame if store have to close. However, I hate department stores for shopping simply because of all the stores within stores. You have to keep going from one to another to find anything. I think it's much less frustrating to have e.g. all the coats together because then it's easier to make comparisons. My other pet hate about them is that you usually have to go through the perfume and make-up section to get anywhere - asphyxiating!

Sara65 Fri 31-May-19 06:43:36

Always like Debenhams for the cleanliness of their toilets! But can’t remember the last thing I bought in there, I think John Lewis are way ahead

Abigailmckd Fri 31-May-19 06:01:45

Scary how shops are closing.every week there's more.i do like Debenhams but not a regular.

sodapop Fri 12-Apr-19 08:36:33

I used to like Debenhams as well but even before I left UK 14 years ago the one near me was like a jumble sale. It didn't seem to improve over the years and had shops within a shop. Completely lost its identity. I tend to agree with Watermeadow that department stores have had their day sad though that is.

JessK Thu 11-Apr-19 22:09:23

I do quite like Debenhams too. Prefer to shop there rather than Marks. I do feel these large stores need to change as they all sell the same things. it's a shame but we need diversity on the high street.

watermeadow Thu 11-Apr-19 20:27:46

I hate to see local shops closing but I’ve never bought anything in a department store. They seem very old fashioned and have definitely had their day.
I wish independent shops could be helped, their huge rents and business rates kill them off despite people valuing them way above chain stores.
If only Amazon was taxed fairly to stop them taking over the world!

Urmstongran Wed 10-Apr-19 13:45:09

There will be more yet.

THE global economy is slowing sharply as manufacturers struggle, trade growth slumps and political turmoil besets much of the world, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned.

Growth is slowing across 70pc of the world economy forcing its analysts to slash their forecasts almost ­everywhere.

gillybob Wed 10-Apr-19 13:02:08

I do like Debenhams although as others have said their customer services/ staff are diabolical. I wanted to buy a particular brand of makeup and was told by the lady on the nearby counter that the counter was closed and would be open on Monday ! I said I knew exactly what I wanted and could she just get it for me or could I go into the drawer and get it myself. I was told "no" . Needless to say I didn't go back on Monday and went to Boots instead where the service was just the opposite. On another recent occasion I asked an assistant if all the jeans were out on display as I wanted a particular brand and size that I know they usually stock. Again I was met with a very unhelpful "if they are there we have them, if they are not then we don't" Great service eh?

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 12:34:18

My nearest store is in Guildford and trying to find the right assistant for any particular concession is a nightmare.
No-one seems to have any interest in helping customers, it's all a bit lacklustre and 'bitty'. Because each concession is, of necessity, small, it follows that their range of sizes and styles is limited.
Not a shop I'd want to spend time in.

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 10:00:49

For me the trouble with Debenhams is, I see something I like, have a little wander round to check out other items before I buy, then can never find the thing I saw in the first place. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the layout. I'm usually just glad I can find my way back to the entrance.

harrigran Wed 10-Apr-19 09:59:43

We have a Debenham's in our town centre, it is the only place I can buy Clarins skincare without shopping online. We lost WH Smith and if they close M&S then it will become a ghost town.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-Apr-19 09:59:39

I think Debenhams is ok for children's wear, bedding and household goods (towels, kitchenware, photo frames and bedding etc).

The cosmetics section is good as it does a lot of vegan/not tested on animals products unfortunately they are often under staffed and those staff available are not always "product knowledgeable)

As for the perfumery and female / male clothes they are so behind the times even my Mother when she was alive aged 84 would often comment they were catering for "Grannies" and she was not ready to dress like one!!!!

I do feel sorry for the employees, as it was the asset stripping by previous owners/investors that have left Debenhams in this dire financial position.

GrandmaMoira Wed 10-Apr-19 09:57:04

I do use Debenhams and like some of their clothes. It is the only department store near me so nowhere else to buy those branded clothes. I agree it looks run down and lacks staff but House of Fraser which I can also get to isn't much better but its clothes are very expensive. There's no JL near here.

Teetime Wed 10-Apr-19 09:50:08

Well strangely I have just started going there more often as our local store in Leicester has been considerably improved with much better stock, lovely changing rooms and much more tidy - staff could still do with some customer care training. I would be sorry to lose it.

glammanana Wed 10-Apr-19 09:46:22

It will be such a shame to loose the Debenhams at Liverpool One it is such a great store so bright and clean throughout,the staff are very friendly but then all Liverpool Sales staff are friendly and helpful to everyone.
I will miss it if it goes as it is my go to Store for special presents and clothes.I feel so sorry for all the staff concerned as there is no other employment out there at the minute.

Oldwoman70 Wed 10-Apr-19 09:29:43

I used to shop there a lot, but now find my store store is dowdy, scruffy, lacks knowledgeable staff and poorly stocked. I now only use it as a cut through to get to the bus stop!

eazybee Wed 10-Apr-19 07:59:09

I don't use it, because the nearest branch is situated in a town I never visit because of exorbitant parking fees; (holiday resort).
I am sorry to see the demise of the high street and the closure of department stores and regularly visit John Lewis; free parking and helpful staff.

Grammaretto Tue 09-Apr-19 22:32:20

I think all the traditional department stores' days are numbered. That includes M&S and John Lewis.
Mark my words.....
The newer cheapo H&M , Primark, TK Max etc may have a slightly better prognosis but all the young women in my life buy online.
It's sad.

1inamillion Tue 09-Apr-19 21:30:52

Debenhams store in Swansea is in a bright clean shopping centre. Staff are very nice. Always buy something when I visit. It is very sad when people lose their jobs.

mcem Tue 09-Apr-19 17:59:41

A friend of DD has been a department manager for several years. When his branch closed a year or so ago, he was transferred, sold up and moved here. Just about to move into a lovely new build flat but now is anxious to find out if he has a job at all!

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 17:18:49

Willow The money saving expert is advising that people spend their vouchers asap. He said it will probably be OK but that's his advice. My sister has some so we looked it up.

kittylester Tue 09-Apr-19 17:16:21

Our Debenhams is a dark, messy, understaffed shop and John Lewis is not far away.

Mycatisahacker Tue 09-Apr-19 16:59:40

I have to agree with urmsrtongram it’s just life but sad about job losses

Willow500 Tue 09-Apr-19 16:38:16

I like Debenhams - we have two new stores within a 14 mile radius so I don't know what will happen to them. My family gave me a voucher for my birthday on Sunday so I have to go tomorrow to spend it assuming they will still take it. It's very sad if they actually close them.