Gransnet forums

Chat

Wellness

(82 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:06:50

Is there anyone out there with no illnesses, issues or disabling problems and not on any meds?
It can be quite dispiriting to read so many threads which almost always contain health issues even when it's not the subject matter.

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 21:11:11

It’s called ‘life’

merlotgran Tue 09-Apr-19 21:13:14

Yes, me which is a bloody good thing because at least two people and a dog are relying on me to keep everything on track.

absent Tue 09-Apr-19 21:13:24

Yes.

Nanabanana1 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:19:06

Yes me I am fortunate health wise. Am sorry for anyone suffering health issues.

Grannyben Tue 09-Apr-19 21:21:24

I appreciate you may find it dispiriting to read about other people's health issues but, I am sure the person responding feels that the information they are providing is relevant to the post and, that it will be helpful to the original poster

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:25:20

The way you wrote it made me laugh merlotgran
Long may your good health continue.
I like that your dog was included. ????‍??

kittylester Tue 09-Apr-19 21:26:48

I'm sure there are lots of us who take meds and have health issues but we don't talk about them.

If someone does talk about them, the must loom large.

Be grateful you are well.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:28:26

Oops! Sorry...those emojis didn't come out in the way I wanted to show a middle aged couple, one son and a dog.

kittylester Tue 09-Apr-19 21:29:33

(((hugs))) merlot.

Carolina55 Tue 09-Apr-19 22:02:21

My husband was always the fittest, healthiest eating of the two of us and I’m a couch potato scoff a lot by instinct but he’s the one who has suffered poor health since his early 50s and I’m never ill (for which I’m grateful, neither of us could cope with me being ill!)

I do believe that genes play a part (I come from a long line of Welsh farming stock apart from my mother who died young of a brain tumour) whereas DH family are not particularly long lived, with illnesses through their middle years until death.

However, now that I’m retired I have become more active - gym, yoga and lots of walking as, although I’m not afraid of getting old, I’m terrified of being ill and/or immobile so I’m not pushing my luck.

I’ve always eaten healthily (if a little too heartily), cook from scratch and mostly eat unprocessed foods. I pay for a flu jab every year (too young and healthy to qualify for a free one - ha ha) with daily use of antibacterial gel in public places.

Out of Health, Wealth & Happiness I’d wish everyone the first before all else.

M0nica Wed 10-Apr-19 21:29:09

I admit to having the dreaded lurgy this winter but that apart I am in rude good health. I am in my mid 70s and I am on no medications, and still think nothing of being on my feet for six hours at a time looking after house and garden, walking and going to pilates or Tai Chi

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 22:43:11

Carolina55
Farming life is jolly hard work so I have seen (This Farming Life series) but I like all weathers and was/am never afraid of hard work.
My path through life sadly never took me down that road but I have worked on a farm during two summer holidays (only 2 weeks each) and had a tiny taste of rising at 5am and being dog tired at 8pm.
I expect that you may have a veg patch and eat well and that, together with an active outdoor life has probably made a big contribution to your continuing good health.
Genes too play a part.
It's an interesting subject as lots of supposedly healthy people die quite young and not through drink or drugs.

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 22:45:30

Yes well, just two and a half years ago I was fit, no 'conditions', able to walk at a good pace, for miles, work in the garden whole days etc. etc. Then, at 75, I suddenly changed. Over the course of a few days. It was like dropping off the edge of a cliff, it hit me so suddenly. Saw the doc, blood tests fine. It was just, out of the blue, the arrival of old age. So don't be so bloody smug anyone. Time's passing for you too. No one stays young forever, and there's no fighting it.

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 22:46:35

Sorry to sound like the grim reaper.

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 22:53:15

By your posts M0nica, I would never have thought you were older than a 'young' 50 something.
I've kind of classed you in the same age group as janeainsworth although I've no idea of her age.
It's funny...the mental pictures you have of people you've never seen.
I always thought AnnieBach would be about 5-2 and 'cuddly but she's 5-7 and very slim, according to one comment she made.
As another poster once said, your health is probably most important as you can't work or be happy if you are plagued by illnesses.

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 23:10:17

Haha...grim reaper. We'll all face that fellow at some time...more's the pity.
Frankly, I was just 'saying' to M0nica that I thought she was in her 50s and now you say you're 75. I can't see you
as that age at all. It might be to do with your username but the tone and vigour of your comments puts me in mind of someone much younger.
Obviously, many of us are grans and even great grans but one can't help getting a mental picture of posters on GN and mine of you and several others is of much younger women.
I think the song A Picture Paints A Thousand Words is back to front.
More like, a thousand words paints a picture.
Agreed, we certainly can't hold back the years...not past 60 anyway.
Like a bowl of fresh tempting fruit. One day, delicious and ripe for eating, the next, wrinkled and past it's 'sell by'. sad

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 23:13:21

merlot long may your good health and fitness continue for you. No one needs, and deserves, it more than you. x

M0nica Thu 11-Apr-19 08:00:01

Gabriella thank you kindly. I always thing of you as tall and slim and beautifully presented and turned out and not much younger (your definition of my age) than me.

Why does anyone saying that life is fine for them at present always get accused of being smug? Should we pretend that things are dreadful, even when they are not, just to avoid this accusation? I do not think any of us are 'smug' about such issues. We are all aware that that could end tomorrow - and have seen others make that sudden transition.

Firecracker123 Thu 11-Apr-19 08:06:24

Yes me, fingers crossed I stay that way.

ayse Thu 11-Apr-19 08:06:52

I’m so grateful that currently I’m relatively fit and healthy and I’m doing what I can to stay this way for as long as possible. I’m amazed at how many of the people on Gransnet manage to stay so cheerful through their struggles.

It’s so good to have support at times of difficulty.

Auntieflo Thu 11-Apr-19 08:20:24

Gonegirl, I could have written your post, word for word, except it was 70 for me. The three score years and ten , hit suddenly out of the blue. But I am still here! and thankful to be so.

Gonegirl Thu 11-Apr-19 09:07:01

"One day, delicious and ripe for eating, the next, wrinkled and past it's 'sell by'. sad"

grin grin grin

I'll let you off that one Gabriella.

77 btw. #everyyearcounts

dragonfly46 Thu 11-Apr-19 09:16:41

I am sorry you feel like that Gabriella and I am sorry for upsetting you with some of my posts. I was like you until November 29th, my husband's birthday, 2018. Your health can turn on a sixpence and I sincerely hope it never happens to you.
As Kitty says if people mention it it is looming large in their lives and maybe a little tolerance is needed, however, I will stop posting from now on in the hope I do no upset anybody else!

Anniebach Thu 11-Apr-19 09:24:13

Dragonfly you mustn’t stopped posting . Please don’t think of it x