Gransnet forums

Chat

Were the 1960s a great time to be alive?

(78 Posts)
Jacinta55 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:57:32

My daughter has mentioned that Mumsnet has a topic discussing being alive in the 60's, and asked me my thoughts. I was born in the late 40's, so was a teenager in the 60's. Things were certainly changing in terms of music and culture, and there was more freedom. Sex outside of marriage was frowned upon, and no pill until later. I used to enjoy dressing up to go to dances and parade for the boys. I remember wearing net underskirts with lovely flared skirts, strapless longline bras, girdles and stockings. The house was generally pretty cold as there was no central heating, and we didn't have a car until the late 60's. Now look how many there are.

sluttygran Fri 19-Apr-19 02:52:47

It was a wonderful time to be young, with the country shaking off the shackles of wartime, and with a huge change in social attitudes and mores.
I guess the decades of youth are always the most fun, so long as you have the essentials of life.
Sadly the youngsters of today have a terrible struggle if they try to afford further education, and far too many of them lack sufficient food and clothing, live in poor housing and have little if any chance of a decent job.
We seem to be rapidly returning to the ‘hungry thirties’ - I hope we soon rotate through another sixties type era very soon!
Before anyone else says it, I know that all young people have giant TVs and expensive mobile phones - it’s been said before, but I have not observed it to be true, and in any case those items are no substitute for a decent and fulfilling life.

boat Mon 22-Apr-19 16:48:15

Sluttygran.

I grew up in the late forties and early fifties as a child of a family who were part of the, "Undeserving Poor".

Looking back at family history I can see why my mother and father were so bad at parenting; I just resolved, as a seven year old, not to be like them if I had children when I
I grew up.

Taking History O Level in 1961 I somehow thought that, "Reform",meant making things better; now I realise it just means changing things, often for the worse for ordinary people.