Gransnet forums

Chat

Would/did you ?

(32 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 15-Apr-19 11:07:32

I was chatting to a good friend on Saturday about family.
She said she had never let her children sleep with their partners at her house even when they were living with their respective partners (they both went on to marry these partners)
I allowed this, if they are living together, and you know about it, what's the point in saying no. I wouldn't allow it with any random guy.
Also, she asked me something about DD's personal life and I said "I don't know, she's an adult, why would I ask her that" Oh, if it was my daughter I would definitely ask.
Opinions please.

crazyH Mon 15-Apr-19 18:14:30

Yes - but gave them separate rooms. I did hear the floor boards creaking though ?

Sara65 Mon 15-Apr-19 18:49:26

All of my children were allowed to sleep with their partners at home, if you’re aware they are in a sexual relationship there’s really no point in putting them in separate rooms. I admit, like one of you ladies, I did start putting my sons young girlfriend in the spare room, when she frequently stayed, only because she was only seventeen, and I felt I had a duty of care. Their rooms were close together, and some way away from the other bedrooms, so I assume a bit of bed hopping went on, at least I’d tried!
In the seventies I was living with my boyfriend, we were never married, but we had a child, when we stayed with my parents, he had to sleep on the sofa! Why on earth did I put up with it?? It seems ridiculous now

LullyDully Mon 15-Apr-19 20:27:56

In the 70s my parents couldn't face us sharing a room even though we were living together with our own house and mortgage.
( We let them sleep together when they came to stay and we stayed in our bed. ) Mr LD's mother wasn't worried and was open minded.

I was always liberal with my sons and they never abused it, only bringing home long time girlfriends. C'est la vie.

notanan2 Mon 15-Apr-19 20:58:08

when DH and I were young and dating trust me NOTHING killed the mood quicker than now MIL telling us to take the big room adding with a wink that she would be turning her radio up winkgrin

By friends parents were the opposite and she got a right kick out of finding sneaky ways to DTD..

So well played MIL

Tangerine Mon 15-Apr-19 21:07:16

My parents wouldn't have allowed it and I wouldn't have wanted to upset them. Things were different in the 60's.

I would have been different from them but it never occurred.

I wouldn't have allowed them to bring casual one night stands home and sleep with them. It would have had to be a definite relationship.

Anja Mon 15-Apr-19 21:21:27

I knew my son and his girlfriend (now my DiL) were ‘together’ but they always had separate rooms when they stayed over at our house...until the Christmas I had unexpected visitors (another story, blame the weather) and ran out of rooms/beds.

You should have seen my son’s face when I said ‘do you and XXX (girlfriend) mind sharing your room tonight?’

Laugh! I nearly wet myself! After that, of course, they always shared.