Gransnet forums

Chat

Churches I love

(98 Posts)
maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:52:44

The ND fire got me thinking of churches I love - not the grand cathedrals but small jewels. My two favourites are All Saints in Tudley Kent because of its Chagall windows and Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamp - Le Corbusiers Church built as a symbol of reconciliation after WW11

Kim19 Thu 18-Apr-19 12:03:39

My two lingering favourites are in complete contrast. One is lovingly cluttered and hewn out of a rock face in Idas-Oberstein. The second is enormous but magnificent in it's simplicity and is the cathedral in Rekjyavik. I have found that Scandinavian churches tend to go for the unfettered look. Beautiful.

KatyK Thu 18-Apr-19 09:51:10

*Overthehills" yes the one in Lisieux is wonderful. It's been many years since we went but it has stayed in my memory. I had a Catholic upbringing and was always fascinated by the Carmelites and and St Theresa. There are many artefacts re the Carmelites at Lisieux - well there were when we visited.

Mamo Thu 18-Apr-19 09:00:37

Putting in a mention for a beautiful Carmelite chapel in my local village in Wicklow, Ireland, which sadly closed its doors after 140 years for the last time a few weeks ago. The final Mass was so sad.... the remaining two nuns spoke with tears in their eyes, the church was stripped bare at the end and all processed out carrying the various altar cloths, crosses and paintings, and the heavy old doors were then locked. I loved that church and wonder will the building company just demolish it

Bellanonna Thu 18-Apr-19 08:40:52

Thank you for the link on “angels and pinnacles”, chocolatepudding. Reminds me of the lovely Fenland church at March with its carved angels roof.

fiorentina51 Thu 18-Apr-19 00:06:48

DH and I often visit churches when out and about. Often we have accidentally stumbled on some little gems by accident. We both admire the architecture but for me, it's the often fascinating stories one can discover.
An example was the time we passed Shipton Church in Shropshire. It's well known for it snowdrops but whilst looking inside we saw a small memorial to the lost children of the Mayflower.
The story unfolded of an unhappy marriage, adultery and a husband's revenge.
www.discovershropshirechurches.co.uk/south-east-shropshire/shipton/

I can't list my favourites...I have too many!

Graso Wed 17-Apr-19 23:24:11

Another vote for the ‘Hidden Gem’ in Manchester.
The Cathedrals of York and Lincoln.
The Fisherman’s Church in St. Brelade, Jersey.
The Chapel in Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire.

Overthehills Wed 17-Apr-19 22:12:17

The Italian Chapel on Orkney.
St Martha’s in Guildford.
The hidden gem in Manchester. All so different but oases of peace.
KatyK - the basilica in Lisieux is somewhere I would so love to visit so a big thank you from me for putting it on your list.

jura2 Wed 17-Apr-19 20:44:30

wow paddyann, only just seen this 'Jura theres a little church in Devon that has the names of my OH 's anscestors..it too is a very uncommon name ,that originated in the village and it 's said that everyone in the world who carries the name can be linked back there'

so are our OHs related?

rosecarmel Wed 17-Apr-19 20:30:41

I honestly can't pick a favorite ..

GinJeannie Wed 17-Apr-19 19:21:05

Having lived near Paphos, Cyprus, for me it has to be St Pauls church where there is a pillar in the churchyard where St Paul was sadly beaten, but on a much more happier note, where I took part in several Flower Festivals. A truly stirring experience within those walls.

Grandma70s Wed 17-Apr-19 18:53:18

The Catholic Cathedral in Liverpool has wonderful John Piper glass (as does Coventry), but I think the exterior is a bit cheap-looking. The Anglican one is a huge space inside, and looks very impressive and permanent.

Annaram1 Wed 17-Apr-19 18:09:50

Oh yes, Paddy's wigwam in Liverpool, the beautiful big Catholic Cathedral, built in recent times. In my opinion nicer than the Anglican church built in traditional style. . I went to Spain in November last year and there is a wonderful modern cathedral in Javea. Absolutely stunning.

Bellanonna Wed 17-Apr-19 17:56:32

I love the churches with round towers to be found in East Anglia. Flint was local to the area and apparently easier to form into a round shape. There are many lovely examples across Norfolk and Suffolk. Lots of large, traditional churches too built during the wool trade period.

Bellanonna Wed 17-Apr-19 17:50:06

Maiden Lane

Bellanonna Wed 17-Apr-19 17:49:46

Not architecturally, but from a peacefulness point of view I love Corpus Christi in Maisen Lane, Covent Garden. It’s a real oasis of silence in a very busy tourist area.

LullyDully Wed 17-Apr-19 17:12:46

Yes jess the Lalique church in Jersey is fabulous. Everything made of his glass including the font.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Apr-19 16:59:36

Another vote here for St.Peters in Bradwell, Essex.

There is a tiny church in Mijas, Andulcia, Spain which has a place in my heart.

Nannyxthree Wed 17-Apr-19 16:58:55

There is the most beautiful little church in St Just, Roseland, Cornwall. It would be a privilege to be buried in that churchyard.
Also very impressed by the Italian POW chapel on Orkney.
If we are including cathedrals then Salisbury is hard to beat.

reelashosser Wed 17-Apr-19 15:55:10

St Giles Church in Cheadle, Staffordshire is lovely to visit. It was designed by Pugin, and when you go in, the lights come on and show the lovely interior. The main door is painted scarlet. We love going there.

As someone else has mentioned : Paddy's Wigwam in Liverpool, especially on a sunny day when the reflections of the coloured glass are beautiful.

kathyd Wed 17-Apr-19 15:32:09

One of my favourite churches is the Church of Brou in Bourg-en-Bresse in eastern France.
It has an interesting history being built by a woman for her beloved husband. It is small with a roof decorated in a green and yellow tiled pattern.
Inside there are effigies of the couple on their side by side tombs. Wonderful wooden carvings are hidden under the seats in the choir stalls and a stone rood screen which is so delicately carved it looks like lace.
I love it.

Sheilasue Wed 17-Apr-19 14:43:26

There is a lovely church in Trottescliffs Kent, we always like to visit when we are there. The have a little table as you go in where the sell home made jam, pickles etc. They have a honesty box.

KatyK Wed 17-Apr-19 14:23:58

I was brought up as a Catholic and our church in Birmingham was rather beautiful.

elfies Wed 17-Apr-19 13:52:40

Montreal's Basilica(?) Notre Dame ,so beautiful !

red1 Wed 17-Apr-19 13:49:22

st melangell mid wales, st Thomas mellor, both in rural areas the 'silence ' and 'presence' is overwhelming.

BonnieBlooming Wed 17-Apr-19 13:09:55

I love the little Church of Ireland church at Saul in Co Down. It is built on what is thought to be the site of St Patrick's first church in Ireland. It is tiny and very simple which is one of the things I love. No grandeur, no gilt, no statues, just a peaceful place to pause and reflect.