Gransnet forums

Chat

Churches I love

(97 Posts)
maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:52:44

The ND fire got me thinking of churches I love - not the grand cathedrals but small jewels. My two favourites are All Saints in Tudley Kent because of its Chagall windows and Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamp - Le Corbusiers Church built as a symbol of reconciliation after WW11

Septimia Tue 16-Apr-19 18:04:09

I loved the underground chapel at North Cape; it's years since I was there, so I hope it's still as beautiful and tranquil.
I also love our simple little village church, built around 1150, and the views from the peaceful churchyard.
We often visit churches and there are so many 'small jewels'.

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:06:30

Simon Jenkins book is always at hand when we are out and about

KatyK Tue 16-Apr-19 18:08:49

The little church in New York which was next to The Twin Towers was very moving to visit. It was undamaged by the blasts and was used as a resting/eating place for the rescue workers. Also the cathedral at Lisieux in France with the Carmelite convent attached. I also love Liverpool's Metropolitan Cathedral, aka Paddy's wigwam.

MiniMoon Tue 16-Apr-19 18:08:59

I love a small Methodist Chapel in the countryside near Gilsland in Cumbria. It is just a plain little Chapel, the windows are clear glass. When the evening sun is setting the view across the fields is glorious.
Plus, my Dad was baptised there.

Bellanonna Tue 16-Apr-19 18:11:01

I love that church in Tudeley maryeliza, with the Chagall window commemorating a daughter who (I think) drowned. I’ve seen it a few times. I don’t know the other one you mention. I also love the famous church at Kilpek with its wonderful Norman carvings. Greensted church near Ongar is also remarkable as one of the oldest wooden churches still standing. There are so many lovely and interesting churches that have somehow escaped cromwell’s slaughter and I love seeking them out.

KatyK Tue 16-Apr-19 18:14:38

Apologies. Didn't read the post properly. The one at the Twin Towers is a little church though!

dragonfly46 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:17:52

The Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church in Berlin is amazing for its windows and light. Another very small church I love is Onze Lieve Vrouw op Zolder (Our dear Mary in the Attic) in Amsterdam.

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:18:24

Oh katy it doesn’t matter - its just nice to think of any churches we love and why, big or small - I’m sure I’ll be adding some more . I’m also hoping to hear of some I don’t know of

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:20:37

Kilpeck is amazing. We once had a holiday based in Hereford and visited many wonderful churches of all kinds in the area - I remember one in the Arts and Crafts style - stunning.

KatyK Tue 16-Apr-19 18:22:07

maryeliza There are so many. Each one I go to I think 'oh this is wonderful'. Fortunately my DH loves them too and he is a staunch atheist.

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:24:01

Windows can be very special - especially more modern ones. The Chagall window at Chichester is also wonderful and the Millenium one at Southwell Minster is incredible

LullyDully Tue 16-Apr-19 18:25:14

Saint Chapelle in Paris has the most glorious stain glass I have ever seen.

Bellanonna Tue 16-Apr-19 18:26:22

I wonder if you’ve seen St Peter on the Wall nr Bradwell maryeliza? I think it dates from the 600s. We saw it a couple of years ago.

LullyDully Tue 16-Apr-19 18:28:56

Sandham Memorial Chapel is near Newbury...National Trust. It has Windows by Stanley Spencer related to the First World War.

Not to forget the Burne Jones Windows in Birmingham Cathedral! Magnificent red angels in Pre Raphaelite glory.

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:29:28

There’s a church in the middle of Tunbridge Wells where you can go right up and almost touch the amazing plaster ceiling which was created by a pupil of Wrens iirc. We’ve met so many lovely locals on our visits who have spent time with us and given us lots of information.

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:30:19

It’s now on the list - thanks Bella

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:32:15

so many small Churches of East Leics and Rutland - but especially the semi abondonned ones of lost villages- often standing all alone in a field- with the shapes of the lost villages and streets only visible if you really look, and in the right light.

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:35:04

This in a country church somewhere in Norfolk - can’t remember where now

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:36:26

Try again

ffinnochio Tue 16-Apr-19 18:36:41

Not religious, but love architecture.
I fell in love with Talmont-sir-Gironde, Charente Maritime in Nouvelle Aquitaine. Build on a headland overlooking the Atlantic. Such a sense of peace and simplicity.

Am a great fan of Chagall’s work, and saw his beautiful windows in Reins Cathedral.

Grannyknot Tue 16-Apr-19 18:42:05

I absolutely love the church at Minster Lovell near Witney in Oxfordshire. It is on the banks of the Windrush River. For some reason, it gives me the goosies when I go in there. I don't know why I love it so much, but I do:

www.britainexpress.com/counties/oxfordshire/churches/minster-lovell.htm

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:42:12

Not religious at all either. One of my favourites is the tiny Norman Church in Rutland with its massive row of designs in an arch- and ne of the most impressive I've ever visited- for its ancient history- is the massive Saxon barn Church of Brixworth, in Northants.

GrandmaMoira Tue 16-Apr-19 18:45:23

I like visiting the Wren churches in the City of London.

Happilyretired123 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:46:00

St Peter Mancroft in Norwich. Norwich has many lovely churches as well as 2 cathedrals but St Peter Mancroft in the city centre is a beautiful church.