Gransnet forums

Chat

Spending money

(79 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 19-Apr-19 20:30:19

I’ve always been hard up and manage only by being careful about money. I’m never impulsive or extravagant. This has given me a reputation as a skinflint.
At the moment I have the proceeds of a sale, which is all intended for doing up my scruffy little house.
Now, when I actually don’t need money, I’ve inherited £5000.
Shall I a) Blow the lot on my family.
b) Add it to the funds for the work on the house.
c)Buy Premium Bonds to help keep me in the future.
I have a large family and don’t suppose there will be anything for them to inherit when I die as my house will be sold to pay for my care.
Tell me what to do with my little windfall.

mumofmadboys Sun 21-Apr-19 09:00:08

I am another fan of Premium Bonds. Interest rates are so low at the moment. You can get your money back very quickly.

M0nica Sun 21-Apr-19 18:35:02

It all depends how much you will have in the bank once the work is done. If it is a penny less than £20,000, keep it.

As soon as a house is done up, it will start deteriorating, in a few years, you may need to redecorate, replace the boiler, buy a new fridge. You may need a buggy, or a slope to make the house accessible or a stair lift.

Only 1 person in 10 goes into care, and that amount again need care in the home. Looking around I have family and friends who have gone into care and some have had carers, but most have stayed successfully living independently in their own homes, possible with a fortnightly cleaner or gardener before dying from an acute illness in less than a year, or even overnight.

So make your will assuming that you will live in your 'little house' until the end and be able to bequeath to your children their share of the proceeds of selling it.

Magrithea Mon 22-Apr-19 17:28:31

Premium bonds don't give a very good return on your investment - prizes are few and far between if you have small amount in bonds, even if you have maximum holdings you don't get much - and £25 is now a common 'prize'

Use it do your house up and maybe treat your family to a nice day out