Gransnet forums

Chat

St. George's Day

(51 Posts)
Nico97 Tue 23-Apr-19 09:02:12

Happy St. George's day everyone ! Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for today's dinner grin

Callistemon Thu 25-Apr-19 13:44:25

Perhaps any republicans may not like it hmm

Primrose Day perhaps?

trisher Thu 25-Apr-19 13:29:40

Should we start a campaign to bring it back?
Thanks Callistemon

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 15:13:10

I just had to look it up grin

Restoration Day, more commonly known as Oak Apple Day or Royal Oak Day, was an English public holiday, observed annually on 29 May, to commemorate the restoration of the English monarchy in May 1660. In some parts of the country the day is still celebrated. It has also been known as Shick Shack Day, or Oak and Nettle Day.
In 1660, Parliament passed into law "An Act for a Perpetual Anniversary Thanksgiving on the Nine and Twentieth Day of May", declaring 29 May a public holiday "for keeping of a perpetual Anniversary, for a Day of Thanksgiving to God, for the great Blessing and Mercy he hath been graciously pleased to vouchsafe to the People of these Kingdoms, after their manifold and grievous Sufferings, in the Restoration of his Majesty..."
The public holiday was formally abolished in the Anniversary Days Observance Act 1859, but the date retains some significance in local or institutional customs. It is, for example, still observed as Founder's Day by the Royal Hospital Chelsea, which was founded by Charles II in 1681.

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 15:11:44

Actually, I now have a vague recollection of my mum saying something about Oak Apple Day

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 15:09:44

I haven't heard of Royal Oak Day before now! Could that be revived and we all congregate at the nearest Royal Oak Pub?

Did you all celebrate Primrose Day last Friday, 19th April?
smile

SueDonim Wed 24-Apr-19 12:28:41

Trisher, I mentioned the story about your mum to Dh and he remembers it from his childhood as Oak Apple Day! I promise you that he's not so old that he dates back to Victorian times. grin

He vaguely remembers pupils having something pinned to their clothes at school, oak leaves or a paper version of, to commemorate it.

trisher Wed 24-Apr-19 11:55:11

Thanks Maizie D I wish I could have found out more about it. It was just one of the stories she used to tell. I did hope someone else might have heard it. But then mum was 94 when she died last year so not many people around who know much about it.

Gransooz Tue 23-Apr-19 22:33:50

Gosh, I’ve just found this, from The Telegraph:
“When the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition took to social media to wish the nation a happy St George’s day, they failed to realise that they got the date wrong.
The patron saint of England is celebrated on April 23. However, this year the celebration, also known as the Feast of Saint George, will be delayed until next week as the Church of England says it is literally a “movable feast”.
According to church rules, no feast days are allowed to be marked during Easter week. If a saint’s day does end up falling during this period, it is “transferred” to the Monday after the Second Sunday of Easter. The last time this happened was in 2011”
So it looks like my “Happy St George’s day” is for next week ????????????????????????????!!! ?

MaizieD Tue 23-Apr-19 22:03:30

I like the story about your mum, trisher. It shows the power of folk memory.

MaizieD Tue 23-Apr-19 22:01:29

Me too nanaa it should certainly be a day off for us.

Perhaps you should vote Labour at the next GE, lemon. St George's day is one of the days they propose for an extra Bank Holiday grin

Happy Birthday to Mr W Shakespeare, too...

Gransooz Tue 23-Apr-19 21:59:31

Happy St George’s day ?????????????????????, from a Scot! Jura2 you’ve put a row of Union Flags which are not the English flag! I once had an argument in a shop America who were advertising the Union Jack as the flag of England. It’s not. (They couldn’t understand ?)

Harris27 Tue 23-Apr-19 21:54:16

It's our 42nd wedding anniversary ! Love st George's day! X

BradfordLass72 Tue 23-Apr-19 21:48:10

~*~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY ~*~ angelic

phoenix Tue 23-Apr-19 18:27:14

Too many bank holidays close together, after the August one, there is nothing until Christmas shock

Perhaps have one in early November (Armistice Day?)

phoenix Tue 23-Apr-19 18:19:07

St, not "At" damn auto correct!

jura2 Tue 23-Apr-19 18:18:50

Ah well, at least we will be in England to celebrate smile cream tea here we come smile

Callistemon Tue 23-Apr-19 18:17:14

Cheers wine
(very quietly as I am in Wales)

phoenix Tue 23-Apr-19 18:16:40

Apparently this year At George's day has been moved to April 29th confused so they just said on Radio 4

lemongrove Tue 23-Apr-19 18:11:44

Too late! grin We have celebrated it today the 23rd as always,
Cheers! wine

Callistemon Tue 23-Apr-19 17:42:03

in England and Wales the Catholic calendar celebrated Saint George on Monday 24 April 2017
I read that in disbelief - presumably celebrated the life of the saint but not as the patron saint of England - not anywhere in Wales anyway!
shock

jura2 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:05:02

I was as surprised as you are btw:

"hen the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition took to social media to wish the nation a happy St George’s day, they failed to realise that they got the date wrong.

The patron saint of England is celebrated on April 23. However, this year the celebration, also known as the Feast of Saint George, will be delayed until next week as the Church of England says it is literally a “movable feast”.

According to church rules, no feast days are allowed to be marked during Easter week. If a saint’s day does end up falling during this period, it is “transferred” to the Monday after the Second Sunday of Easter. The last time this happened was in 2011."

jura2 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:03:29

Petra: 'Jura2
BTW. IT'S TODAY.
And yes, I know I've written in shouty. That's exactly how I meant it. '

No need to shout - for sure. My info comes from the Telegraph- a good explanation why, this year, according to our Anglican/Christian tradition- it is indeed next Monday.

angelic Tue 23-Apr-19 16:52:58

Thank you Lemongrove

lemongrove Tue 23-Apr-19 15:12:41

Me too nanaa it should certainly be a day off for us.

lemongrove Tue 23-Apr-19 15:10:54

Oh Happy Birthday angelic ?????