Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone over 50 here still suffer from being broody?

(91 Posts)
overwhichhill Wed 24-Apr-19 19:49:54

I can't get my head around the fact that I still want another baby.... I am over 50 and in peri-menopause for about 10 years now, but I just wish this longing for another baby would go away. I am not sure whether stopping my periods altogether will help, I am on HRT and they are irratic even with this. So asking the wisdom of Gransnet to help me how do I get my head right!

LuckyFour Thu 25-Apr-19 12:05:47

I am 71 and adore young children. I often stop and watch them when they're playing or as they're tottering down the street. I feel it is a creepy thing to do but I just love to see little ones. My GC s are strapping young people now, not as cute as they used to be. I miss that.

leeds22 Thu 25-Apr-19 12:18:09

Definitely not. Not sure I have ever felt broody but I do love DS.

BusterTank Thu 25-Apr-19 12:33:34

I,ve always wanted another baby but it didn't happen . Even the pain of child birth would be worth every minute . I,ve always wanted that chance to breast feed again . Also being that bit older your out look on life changes . To have another baby would be all my dreams come true.

Sheilasue Thu 25-Apr-19 12:34:44

Noooooo

Saggi Thu 25-Apr-19 12:56:12

Overwhichill.... my advice for what it’s worth .... settle for grandchildren. The relief when they go home is worth every minute yiu spend with them. And a double brandy helps. My mother in law was pregnant unexpectedly at 47 and my husband (her son) was 26.......she gave birth to a daughter when she was 48, and with a pretty useless husband who was of course still working, she struggled to cope. She continued to struggle with her daughter for the next 15 years and 5ben she died ... way too young. Her husband followed her 6 months later leaving daughter alone. Now maybe things are changed and you feel able to cope. You underestimate or forgotten the demands on your body and time and future health. I’ve seen it firsthan. Please don’t do it .

DotMH1901 Thu 25-Apr-19 13:07:58

I was 24 when I had my second and last child. I did get broody when my niece in law started her family (there is only a two year age difference between us) but that passed. I became a Nan before my menopause started and, although I looked after my three grandchildren from when they were only a week or so old, having them stay over to give my DD a break, it didn't make me want a baby myself. My DH died before there were any grandchildren and I do miss the mischief he would have got up to with them.

grannyactivist Thu 25-Apr-19 15:09:57

After losing my third baby I never felt my family was complete and went on to have three more. When baby number five was born I looked at him and knew he would be my last. I have since been content to allow grandchildren to fulfill my desire for contact with babies.

Annaram1 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:12:19

Occasionally you see articles in the newspapers about women in their 50s or 60s who have had a baby. Usually by some sort of artificial means. They are pictured looking happy. Will they still be happy 15 years later after all the work involved, the ruined nights, the school runs, the sneers of younger mothers, the loss of their looks... broody women have forgotten all that, all they want is the cute little mite who is always good and sweet.

jura2 Thu 25-Apr-19 15:13:17

In short- NO. Loved it, been there, done that - went on to do other things. Love being a Granny.

Bazza Thu 25-Apr-19 15:18:56

Noooooo! ? I promise I can cure these feelings if you spent a day with my adored but full on gc. There is a reason our fertility stops, thankfully.

nannypiano Thu 25-Apr-19 15:30:44

I became a foster mother at age 60. Best thing I have ever done. I did take older children though who are harder to place. I did it until 70, 3 years ago. I'm so glad I did. It stopped any broody feelings.

notanan2 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:10:21

Being broody doesnt mean you actually want to be an older mother in the practical sense.

I know I couldnt manage to go back to that stage now. I still miss it though.

cupcake1 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:37:12

Bloody hell NO!! Had 2 DS and a DD and later a hysterectomy at 37 and never once have I felt broody. Love my 4 DGC to pieces and would do absolutely anything for them - but at the end of the day you can hand them back!!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:39:31

I'm not exactly broody, but I do still feel that it was so unfair that I wasn't able to have the large family I wanted so badly.

One dearly loved adopted son, and no likelihood of grandchildren, so yes, sad at times.

EthelJ Thu 25-Apr-19 16:44:18

overwhichchill how old are your children? Sorry if you have said already and I've missed it.
When my youngest was about 6 I wished I'd had another one. And sometimes I wondered what it would be like to have another and what he/she would be like. And when going through the menopause those feelings came back for a while. BUT I have 3 gorgeous grandchildren now and they are more than enough for me.
Maybe you can do some volunteering in a school or nursery, I did that for a while and it did help.
You will feel better in time. Good luck.

Aepgirl Thu 25-Apr-19 16:58:30

No. Just spare a thought for the children of older parents, and don’t be selfish.

Millie22 Thu 25-Apr-19 17:44:40

Noooo as I wonder how older mums really cope when they have the difficult teenage years.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Apr-19 17:53:16

Good god - no! Absolutely not. I can't think of anything worse than going back to sleepless nights, nappies, breastfeeding and so on.

notanan2 Thu 25-Apr-19 18:03:45

No. Just spare a thought for the children of older parents, and don’t be selfish.

There is nothing selfish about admitting to feeling broody FFS.

JackyB Thu 25-Apr-19 18:21:59

I had a hysterectomy in my early 40s and have dreamt of pregnancies and newborns on and off ever since.

It's the pregnancies and the contented feeling and the joys of breastfeeding I hanker after though.

I'm not too keen on small children as such. I think I would happily have borne babies for other people.

tiredoldwoman Thu 25-Apr-19 18:48:02

Have you told your husband about your feelings , did he run a mile ?

notanan2 Thu 25-Apr-19 19:11:26

For me I think its the intensity that I miss. In late pregnancy and early newborn stage your world turns inwards to your little family and there is something very special about that time. You become a very close unit...

Then kids get older and its business as usual, you are still a family but outside life takes priority again

rafichagran Thu 25-Apr-19 19:58:07

No never,could not think of anything worse.

Iam64 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:20:37

No no no.
Our four under 4 year old grandchildren went home about 6, the first arrived at 7.45 am. I've had a glass of restorative wine and I'm now drinking camomile tea and looking forward to an early night.

I love those 4 little ones more than I can put into words. I enjoy their company, love being with them listening to them chatter. Its wonderful to be surrounded by little ones who are learning about the world, who have a sense of wonderment, belief in all things magical. I even loved revisiting belief systems when the 3 and 4 year olds asked me on several different occasions "where did X go grannie". X was one of our dogs who sadly had to be put to sleep recently, much too young and very poorly. The children noticed he wasn't here and are in that mode where one will often ask "why did X die". "where has X gone". "when X wakes up again, will he come home". It so life affirming to go through this kind of Big Stuff again.

Getting up at 5.45 am every day, never being able to take your eyes off them and so on - no thanks, I've done that. I can do it one full day a week, fairly regular sleep overs of various combinations but, I've no desire to be a parent again.

overwhichhill Thu 25-Apr-19 20:21:44

EthelJ - No I didn't say the ages of my children, I was very late having children, I was 40 having my last nearly 12 years ago. Then I had miscarriages up til age 45, and then everything went into shutting down mode!

But it does mean that because I started late, it will be a long while before I get to have the pleasure of being a grandparent. I enjoy being a great-aunt to my sisters grandchildren, but don't see them nearly as much as I wish I could. My husband would have been happy to have another baby, but he did find all the losses difficult at the time too.

I love still having a pre-teen in the house, and at the moment we have two extra teenagers living with us as well as our own teens, so I think I must love raising children as well as the wonderful baby stage!