Gransnet forums

Chat

Widdy on telly.....cringe

(121 Posts)
Lily65 Thu 25-Apr-19 09:45:53

She is on Jeremy Vine now.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Apr-19 12:27:57

Well put maryeliza about the WASPI situation.
Spot on.
??

Ramblingrose22 Fri 26-Apr-19 12:28:46

AW has joined the Brexit Party because she is very pro- Brexit and very to the right of Genghis Khan.

Farage is bound to attract these types. I wonder where she'll feature on the candidates list. That will indicate whether she really wants to be an MEP.

I found her suggestion whilst number two to Michael Howard that he had "something of the night" about him ridiculously pretentious. Why not be direct and say he was dishonest or whatever!

Whilst I don't share her views I note that she doesn't dissemble these days. I enjoyed hearing her say on Newsnight recently that Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn are the worst PM and LoO ever. So true!

maryeliza54 Fri 26-Apr-19 12:35:09

Rambling I’m sorry but I have to say that I think your comment is a little unfair to GK

GillT57 Fri 26-Apr-19 12:44:56

I think that she hates women, which is rather weird. She left the CofE and joined the Catholic Church in response to the proposed ordination of women in the CofE, we all know about her permitting the shackling of women in labour and her policy of no abortion whatever the circumstances. Then when you hear her rude dismissal of concerns about women's retirement age and I have to say that if she was a man there would be claims of sexism. For the record, I have no problems with the equalisation of retirement age, just with the huge leap involved, other countries have managed to make the equalisation more gradual.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Apr-19 13:10:03

sassenach512 says "Did you see the bit where she sneaked the pen she was using on the panel into her bag when she thought the camera wasn't on her smile"

I would have loved her for that! grin

Gonegirl Fri 26-Apr-19 13:13:21

I think this is the interview in question. on Jeremy Vine this morning

Gonegirl Fri 26-Apr-19 13:16:10

It's more about the other woman though. confused

sassenach512 Fri 26-Apr-19 13:23:31

Gonegirl pen swiping is one of my guilty pleasures too winkgrin

JenniferEccles Fri 26-Apr-19 13:47:43

After watching that video link, if I am going to strongly dislike anyone on it, it would be that other awful woman (I think she said she is from Uganda)

She was so rude and completely dominated the discussion.

Anne Widdecombe however, I have always liked as she is such a rare breed in politics these days - someone who is not afraid to speak her mind and who doesn't subscribe to all the usual politically correct nonsense. Good on her.

I'm delighted that such a high profile figure has joined Farage's Brexit party.

maryeliza54 Fri 26-Apr-19 14:05:36

Delete ‘not subscribe to all the usual politically correct nonsense’ and insert ‘subscribe to forcing raped children to give birth or a woman to go to term with a foetus with a fetal abnormality.’ Nice JE

AcornFairy Fri 26-Apr-19 14:11:14

Ann is a breath of fresh air and it is good to see her back in the political arena. Another woman in politics is always welcome, particularly one who is not afraid to say things that she and so many others believe in. The vitriol that has been directed at her in this post is most unpleasant but as we are thankfully entitled to free speech in this country I suppose it is par for the course. I’m looking forward to hearing more of Ann’s free speech in the approaching election campaign. She is a wise and strong woman and we could do with more like her.

maryeliza54 Fri 26-Apr-19 14:13:43

Wow acorn you nearly had me there - I thought you were serious ?????????????????

maddyone Fri 26-Apr-19 14:14:46

I didn’t see AW say very much on that clip, and I didn’t see the interview.

I did see the other woman, she was almost the only one speaking on this particular clip, so it’s impossible to form an opinion on AW from this. The other woman, I don’t know her name, always behaves like this when she’s on television, she shouts everyone down and drowns them out. For her rudeness I dislike her. As I said before, it’s impossible to form an opinion on AW from this.

Re the shackles on pregnant women giving birth, can someone enlighten me please? I’ve obviously missed this in the news, but it seems AW defended it. I didn’t know it happens, and am appalled by the idea.

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 14:18:02

Not the ‘raped children ‘. Do stop using this to attack. How many cases of children raped and pregnant do you know of?
One is one too many but it’s wrong to speak of it as if the majority of abortions are carried out for raped, pregnant children.

How come we don’t hear of these rapists being prosecuted ?

She doesn’t agree with women priests, is this dishonest ? No,
It is her right.

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 14:25:07

maddy Widdie defended women prisoners being chained when leaving the prison for hospital, there was a claim a woman in the early stages of Labour was chained, I have never heard this woman speak of it. Widdie did not say women prisoners should be chained when giving birth.

She said a woman could escape, as she had never had a child I doubt she would have any idea what trying to do a runner when nine months pregnant would be like,

maryeliza54 Fri 26-Apr-19 14:25:35

No I won’t stop ab . Anyone and especially a woman who wants a society where females are forced to give birth against their will is a wicked evil person. It’s not just raped children but raped women, women with babies with FFA. To be fair to JRM despite his anti abortion beliefs he has never introduced a bill to restrict abortion like AW did. And drawing a parallels with her views on women priests is frankly disgusting. Not agreeing with a woman being a priest = a forced pregnancy. Get real.

maryeliza54 Fri 26-Apr-19 14:26:51

And you are wrong yet again about her believing in women being chained during Labour.

maryeliza54 Fri 26-Apr-19 14:28:56

* maddy* the shackles issue is from way back when she was Prisons Minister.

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 14:33:53

And women who have healthy babies aborted because the baby would be inconvenient. Let’s not forget these.

Anyway this thread is not about abortion it’s about Anne Widdicombe

maddyone Fri 26-Apr-19 14:39:31

Thank you for enlightenment AB and ME.
I certainly do not think anyone should be shackled as they give birth. Re the shackling on the way to the hospital, still don’t agree with it, but Annie you did make me laugh with your comment about being nine months pregnant and trying to make a run for it! I truly think it would be impossible, and whilst in labour too!

maryeliza54 Fri 26-Apr-19 14:47:50

For me as a radical feminist anything about AW is predicated upon her views on abortion ( I could add homophobia, gay conversion therapy as well of course . Most misogynists are homophobic ) Its only when women have full control over their bodies including access to contraception and abortion that women can ever begin to approach having full human rights and equality. There is not one society on earth where women are refused bodily autonomy and have full equal rights . It’s logically impossible. So judging a politician on their beliefs on abortion is fundamental afaic.

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 14:59:32

maddy as someone who had to be hoisted onto the labour bed trying to get to the loo would have been physically impossible ?

Bridgeit Fri 26-Apr-19 15:03:22

I attended a talk given by AW , I have to say I was very disappointed by her narrow vision on many topics. I had believed her to be intelligent & down to Earth but the reality is that she has little understanding of the complexities of many peoples lives.
Even more shocking was the speed at which she gave her opinion followed by her ruthless & obvious aim to sell her book to as many people as possible, she would make a very good salesperson!

Lily65 Fri 26-Apr-19 15:23:46

the " woman from Uganda" is Yasmin Alibhai-Brown,

She is senior research associate at the Foreign Policy Centre,[18] an honorary fellow at Liverpool John Moores University,[14] and honorary visiting professor at Cardiff[2] and Lincoln[14] Universities.

a highly regarded journalist, and Instrumental in bringing the paedophile Stuart Hall to justice........for starters.

varian Fri 26-Apr-19 15:30:00

Widdecombe and Farage are like a pair of pantomime villains, only not as funny.