Gransnet forums

Chat

My 'Things to remember when I'm dead List' for DH

(50 Posts)
kittylester Thu 25-Apr-19 18:47:11

I've been proper poorly this last week and dh has been a superstar. However, there are a few things he hasn't cottoned on to yet.

If you reheat a previously frozen curry in a pan without a lid it will become very dry.

He's a scientist for crying out loud.

And, when making the bed, a quilt will be much better if shaken from the bottom, not the top.

What would your dh need on his list?

Rufus2 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:17:13

I certainly had no problems with house cleaning, cooking, laundry, shopping and general upkeep of all else

Grandad1943; It's easy isn't it? I can't think what all the fuss is about! Hired domestic help is readily available these days, at modest rates of pay, so it makes sense to acquire tech/comp. skills to avoid horrendous techie bills and leave domestic skills to others!

This topic whereby hubbys cop all the blame comes round every 3 months or so when they are all paraded as nincompoops! No matter that they have probably spent their working lives dealing with hi-tech/hi-finance matters, as soon as they retire! Boom! they are incompetents, incapable of working out where to put their dirty underwear, assuming of course that they've been taught how and when to change it! shock
I blame the teachers!; not their mothers! As for leaving "How to" notes stuck everywhere; well, I'm reminded of the modern version of that old adage "Those that can, "do"; those that can't, "teach" and those that can't teach, "inspect". I imagine quite a few GNetters are retired teachers itching to carry on inspecting into retirement. grin

Of course, all postings on this thread are expressions of light-hearted humour, which is a rare commodity these days. Cheers grin

Beechnut Sat 27-Apr-19 07:33:55

Nineteen years with our first automatic washing machine.....”the washing machine has stopped on 16, what do I do”. ❤️

1inamillion Sat 27-Apr-19 07:25:24

I've been incapacitated for the past three months following a foot operation. DH has literally had to do everything around the house. He is a former electrical engineer so has mastered the washing machine.

He's excellent at maths but if he asks me how many grams of rice or pasta again, I'll scream ?
The quilt issue is the same here too Kitty

kittylester Sat 27-Apr-19 06:39:44

Dh isn't lazy at all poppy but there are things that don't enter his consciousness..

Poppyred Sat 27-Apr-19 01:53:47

I’m sorry Kittylester but all the comments have proved me right.... I think they do it on purpose ... lazy sods! ??

B9exchange Fri 26-Apr-19 23:50:37

Littleannie you are so right, no good asking him to put anything he wants to take in the washing bin in time, it is inevitable that he packs at the last minute, and then asks if there is time to wash something, or else packs it dirty!!

Littleannie Fri 26-Apr-19 23:38:29

Clothes required for your holiday need to be sorted and presented for washing at least 3 days before, and not produced dirty from your wardrobe the night before you are due to go.
My husband is so bad at this that I now go through his wardrobe the week before our holiday, and wash everything in sight. He still manages to catch me out though!

jeanie99 Fri 26-Apr-19 23:12:06

My only concern would be he has no idea about finance.
He couldn't even tell me which banks we are with other than the current account.
I have to write everything down for him. just in case I pop off first.
He does all the household things but not keen on cleaning, and a sees to the car but not the insurance of course.

Greenfinch Fri 26-Apr-19 21:17:10

I like it Deedaa wink

Deedaa Fri 26-Apr-19 21:13:02

DH is very unlikely to outlive me (barring accidents) but if he does I will just leave him a note saying "NOW you can see how much I did" grin

SisterAct Fri 26-Apr-19 20:31:07

No problem DH would be good with everything. Me on the other hand mmmmm finance, bills, car would be an issue.

I would like fresh ?next to my photo ?

BBbevan Fri 26-Apr-19 18:16:59

Tomato ketchup is not a vegetable.
A beef burger is not a proper meal.
Fruit is not for decoration.

Otherwise I think he might manage quite well

sodapop Fri 26-Apr-19 17:23:33

My husband will manage perfectly well too. The house may not be as clean and tidy but he won't mind that. Nobody would get Christmas or birthday cards and presents though.
I am sure I would be the one to struggle most if I was on my own.

Mossfarr Fri 26-Apr-19 11:50:14

Sorry missed out that my previous comment is a response to the post by Bradfordlass72. It might make sense now!

Tweedle24 Fri 26-Apr-19 11:49:47

My lovely husband could, and did, most things better than I did. He hated ironing, though, and would send stuff off to be done at the laundry rather than iron it himself. He rarely polished his ‘not special occasion’ shoes either. I think that came from having had a batman while in the army.

Mossfarr Fri 26-Apr-19 11:47:15

Your comment is very idealistic, the reality is my husband absolutely does not want to learn the tasks I carry out.
He's perfectly content to sit back and let me manage our joint finances.

Any attempts by me to try to 'force' him to take an interest is met with resistance and eventually causes arguments.

KatyK Fri 26-Apr-19 11:39:44

Remember birthdays, wipe the hob when you've washed up, change the beds, and the towels, get someone to show you how to use an iron. The list goes on. He's not useless by the way. He keeps the garden nice, makes sure the house is maintained, hoovers etc

notentirelyallhere Fri 26-Apr-19 11:23:13

A list of where 'everything' is, from bed linen to radiator keys to glue to which cupboards foodstuffs and kitchen equipment live in! Oh yes, and a list of duplicate foodstuffs, bought by 'mistake' (by him), the cupboard they're in and instructions to use the oldest items first!!

Nonnie Fri 26-Apr-19 11:18:44

Remember where I told him the list is!

Sara65 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:31:58

He wouldn’t have a clue when anyone’s birthday is, no one would have Christmas presents, he’d have no idea of family finances (just as well) the sky box would probably end up giving him a stroke! But , on a practical level, cooking, cleaning, shopping, he’d be fine

Lily65 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:10:40

We all have these strange habits. I suppose if a space ship carried hubs off tomorrow I'd have to empty bins, deal with leering mechanics,house insurance,talk about football to son,and buy the toothpaste.

BlueSapphire Fri 26-Apr-19 07:50:26

Oh yes, practically all of the above! Particularly finances and house stuff.
Bless him, I am relieved in a way that he went first as he would just not have coped.
Don't think he'd ever used a washing machine/tumble dryer, changed the bed without being prompted, got to grips with online or any other sort of banking, paid a credit card bill. I should have taught him better!
He did know how to wash up, cook(just), use the dish washer, and was a whizz at hoovering. An expert with technical, electrical stuff and the computer, but the everyday running of the house was beyond him.

Grandad1943 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:38:52

I took over all the running of the house for three weeks while my wife was in hospital and then recovery two years ago. I certainly had no problems with house cleaning, cooking, laundry, shopping and general upkeep of all else in including finance etc.

I believe it is within the vast majority of both sexes to cope through change when it is forced upon them, and that's how humans have always survived. There will through the aging process come a time when many find themselves on there own and mentally or physically unable to cope, but until then both genders in the main will manage when they have to.

By the way, we have had many cats as pets all through our fifty-year marriage, and I would assure anyone there is no animal who will be more vocal in letting you know when they consider it has been too long since they were last fed. hmm

GrandmainOz Fri 26-Apr-19 07:32:52

I think I need to leave a list of children and GC birthdays somewhere prominent!
Oh, and bank account passwords!

ninathenana Fri 26-Apr-19 06:26:56

BradfordLass I think most of these comments are light hearted and it's more a case of "why bother, Mary will do it" rather than an actual lack of knowledge.

How to operate the TV and Sky box as anything other than the basics are down to me.
No problems with cooking or cleaning, finance is all done by Direct Debit. He would have to sell the car as he never learnt to drive.