Gransnet forums

Chat

Nobody to do nothing with

(151 Posts)
MawBroonsback Sun 28-Apr-19 11:09:18

I thought of putting this in “Bereavement” but it applies equally to those who may be divorced, caring for partners with life limiting illnesses or dementia.
I have always reckoned myself good at going to things on my own, PawBroon (DH ) worked away from home Mon-Fri for several years but even before that he was often away on audit for the best part of a week.
But now that “on my own” has become my default position, it is more of an effort as I do not wish to appear needy to friends when I email round to see if anybody feels like going to a play or a film or even a coffee.
Can’t quite understand this. I now have the freedom to do more or less as I like, but there are still some occasions where I feel like the fifth wheel on a wagon. Or indeed sometimes find it hard to make the effort.
Anybody shared this feeling?
I am off to see “Red Joan” by myself this afternoon, on the basis that I need to push myself or I will vegetate in front of rubbish TV
It is proving harder than I thought though when I lost Paw ?

Gonegirl Wed 04-Dec-19 10:18:06

Yeah. Cos that's all I read. "Ladies" mags. hmm

Rufus2 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:01:21

remember reading once that older folk go outdoors less than younger ones
Fake news! Was that in one of the seriously out-of-date ladies mags found in doctor's waiting rooms? hmm

Elegran Tue 03-Dec-19 13:44:38

Now that I have read through ALL this thread, I see that many posters have suggested that Gransnet start a way for people to advertise to meet others in their area. But a way to do that exists already, and has done for years!! Go to www.gransnet.com/forums/meet_ups_where_are_you and read the posts there!

Perhaps this should be repeated frequently so that new members know of it.

Elegran Tue 03-Dec-19 13:24:54

Mypennyfarthing41 How did you word your feelers about meet-ups, and under what topic title did you post them?

There are so many posts on so many threads on Gransnet that unless someone's eye is caught by a title like "How about meeting for lunch in XXXX round about YYYY {give a possible date} people just don't realise that it is local to them. If they live in XXXX they will read the post through and maybe respond - they may not be able to meet on the date suggested, but on a different day.

The PLACE to post a meet-up suggestion is under the "Meetups and where are you?" topic heading. If you are new to GN, you can find all the topics listed if you select "Forums" from the headings across the top of this page - they are
Forums
Grandparenting
Christmas
Books
Competitions
Life
Food
Style & Beauty
Legal & Money
Go to the topic you want, and choose to start a new thread, which you will then name "Meetup in XXXX in early January" or something similar, and start it off with a post suggesting when and where and what kind of meetup - coffee, lunch, a walk, a musem visit, or whatever. Go back to see who has replied and answer them and arrange for it all to happen. Enjoy!

Charleygirl5 Tue 03-Dec-19 13:18:43

Gonegirl I totally agree, it is a huge effort for me. Something I am wrestling with as I type!!!

Gonegirl Tue 03-Dec-19 13:07:30

As I get older I seem to care less and less about going out. I think it's natural. I remember reading once that older folk go outdoors less than younger ones.

Gonegirl Tue 03-Dec-19 13:04:50

Not everybody wants to do meet-ups. I don't for one. Just cba.

But I enjoy chatting on Gransnet, which is what it primarily is for.

Mypennyfarthing41 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:52:40

Charleygirl15

Could you kindly tell me just How you get replies from others. Ive put out feelers for meet-ups locally, and with two exceptions had no response. Im firmly of the opinion that Gransnet, like mumsnet is hugely cliquey. Rather a lot of regulars, chatting back and forth to each other, clearly ignoring other would be participants in the thread.

I live near Haywards Heath in West Sussex, it's a very convivial place, next to Lindfield which is delightful - lovely old fashioned teashop, and modern, clanking coffee shop, great meet up for dog lovers...that's me....But mainly for the under 40's.

What, is the point of Forums for meetups without willing participants, one Needs participants.
As l said in another thread, l've other things to do. I also have a husband, lovely man, who has Alzheimer's, and for whom l need to stay, as his carer, interested and alert. But, l've wasted enough time on Gransnet now. I give up.

I'm joining UV3A.

H1954 Thu 28-Nov-19 00:52:54

Mypennyfarthing41, I have sent you a private message.

Mypennyfarthing41 Thu 28-Nov-19 00:30:13

It's strange, l've been posting on here and a couple of other threads...but never get any response. Quite what I'm doing wrong is a puzzle. But, as l have a husband who has Alzheimer's, and needs much companionship...and whom l adore, l not wasting my time on gransnet any more...

Charleygirl5 Tue 24-Sep-19 20:36:13

Maw I do not know what you have against coffee mornings. I have been meeting up with three people locally for nearly 5 years now.

Mypennyfarthing41 Tue 24-Sep-19 09:53:16

MawBroonsback,
Where do you live
Im sure that others including myself would be happy I meet with you
If we can

Alexa Tue 07-May-19 12:36:56

Good idea Jean. Will do.

Jean66 Tue 07-May-19 04:33:50

Can I recommed the red hat society, it's a social club for older ladies, they are all over the UK and the world, just Google them, it's about the poem by Jenny Jones, When I grow old. Cheers Jean

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 13:51:00

"We used to go round to Granny's to read the Sunday Post because, for some unexplained reason, my dad wouldn't have it."

Annodomini, please tell more about your interesting dad!

grannyticktock Sat 04-May-19 12:33:20

Oh yes, we were brought up with the Sunday Post as well. Dad used to pass the Broons etc pages to my brother and me, which brightened up an otherwise tedious Sunday routine.

annodomini Sat 04-May-19 10:08:18

We used to go round to Granny's to read the Sunday Post because, for some unexplained reason, my dad wouldn't have it. We never missed Oor Wullie and the Broons, and there was a joke page which made us giggle. Even in later life, I never asked my dad why he wouldn't take the Post. After all, it was just a bit of fun.

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-May-19 10:04:52

That brings back memories- it was one of our Sunday newspapers when I was a child- I loved it.

aggie Sat 04-May-19 10:00:13

I haven't seen the Sunday Post for years , does Maw still feature ? I loved it as a child and Dad got it here after we moved , it was surprising how many copies our Newsagent sold on a Sunday after Mass

ReadyMeals Sat 04-May-19 09:51:20

So
Why not MawBroonsReturned ?
or MawBroonComeAgain ?
or MawBroonTheTerminator ?

We still don't know what you did with MawBroon.

MawBroonsback Sat 04-May-19 09:18:44

Because Maw was away and now MawBroon’sBack

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-May-19 08:56:08

I'm intrigued by the new name 'MawBroonsback*

Why not MawBroonslegs ?
MawBroonsarms ?
MawBroonsfeet

And what have you done with MawBroon ? grin

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 20:53:52

Thank you kitty you are right, it’s nothing to do with meeting new people, volunteering or (heaven help me) coffee mornings.
Enjoy having the bed to yourself tonight though (cat/cats permitting grin )

annodomini Fri 03-May-19 20:52:54

I miss the days when the DC were young and I was working part-time in several different jobs as were other young(ish) mums so that we could drop in on each other and chat over a brew. We didn't need to make an appointment to meet up and I could meet a friend regularly to play squash. Not that I could do that now. sad

aggie Fri 03-May-19 20:44:04

the cherry is hanging onto flowers