Gransnet forums

Chat

Lifting the spirits

(91 Posts)
NanKate Fri 03-May-19 11:40:21

I’ve been feeling rather down lately but having read some of the very sad situations of our GN members I decided to take myself in hand and improve matters.

I have gone out into the fresh air for a walk each day.
Reduced my time on the internet and returned to reading a book by one of my favourite authors.
Saved the life of a grasshopper who was crawling up the window in the lounge. ?

What do you do to improve your mood ?

Alexa Thu 09-May-19 11:39:00

I feel the same about uncut grass, Gonegirl. Grass at this time of year is so enthusiastically alive.

Gonegirl Sun 05-May-19 23:03:43

Watching our grass turn into a hay meadow does it for me. Something very peaceful about uncut grass.

kwest Sun 05-May-19 22:58:41

Do something on a voluntary basis regularly. You will hear enough tales of other people's difficulties to make you very grate for the life that you have.
Pottering in my greenhouse is very calming.
Noticing other people's kindness and trying to be kind at all times.

bikergran Sun 05-May-19 17:40:10

Minerva it must be so stressful and worrying for you.

Daisyboots Sun 05-May-19 17:21:43

A virtual hug for you Minerva you must be really suffering for your son.
To cheer myself up at the moment is reading GN although the other day I just had to look at the titles on the newsletter to know that that day reading would just make me more down. Just 24 hours to go and I should know what is wrong with me and what treatment they are planning . I cant think of much else at the moment and I know that it also isnt helping my DH who suffers with PTSD. As walking is difficult at the moment. I just ask him to drive to the sea 10 miles away. Just sitting there watching the mighty Atlantic rolling in just seems to put everything into perspective and how small we are in the scheme of things

BradfordLass72 Sun 05-May-19 00:04:35

Minerva You must be going through hell right now. Is there anything they can do to help him?

Kandinsky I don't wonder you went up in smoke after a whole bottle of gin.

My spirits were very much lifted by the kindness shown by a PM to me of bluebells in Emmetts Garden.
Memories of childhood days gathering them also made me feel better. Thank you Juliet. flowers

annep1 Sat 04-May-19 23:36:08

Minerva remembering you in my prayers flowers
I have been reminded to count my blessings.

Destin Sat 04-May-19 23:07:50

If the weather isn’t good enough to spend an afternoon in my ‘happy place’ which is tending my (rented) allotment plot, then I head to the gym ..... and take a spinning class or a body fit class - both have great music. Both, or either, can quickly lift my mood if I am feeling a bit “blue”.

Minerva Sat 04-May-19 22:32:35

Thank you for all the flowers and kind thoughts. I was very touched.

NanKate Sat 04-May-19 20:58:01

Minerva how tragic. ?

Thank you folks for all your great ideas. It’s so good to have GN friends and acquaintances to share problems with. You are such a sensible lot and have helped me get things into perspective.

Grandmama Sat 04-May-19 20:21:15

Garden. Play the piano. Go for a walk. A little retail therapy. A bout of tidying up for example turning out a cupboard.

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 19:30:06

I go to sleep or try to drink a lot of water.

bluebirdwsm Sat 04-May-19 19:26:46

Sometimes it's an effort but I force myself out for a walk somewhere where there is greenery, fields, trees, by a river or at a beach, and away from traffic. I feel better afterwards.

I did it today. People said 'Hi'...I saw a heron and a teenage boy asked what it was so we had a chat about herons...I saw a mother duck with 7 tiny ducklings... stroked a couple of dogs...found a lane to explore at another time. And decided to get a folding bike as the whole area is flat and traffic free. I enjoyed it all and the sunshine was lovely.

On cold, wet days I would go to a bookshop and then I'm in a different world browsing through the books. Or read at home and treat myself to something nice to eat. I would also eat out or go for a coffee and cake usually at a garden centre where the plants and flowers cheer me up.

I often go through the local paper and note down exhibitions, dog shows, flower shows, fairs or fetes, open days, coffee mornings, films at the cinema, evening talks etc...in my diary. Things to look forward to.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 04-May-19 19:20:03

If the weather is dry a lovely cycle ride away from the roads. It use to be long walks and hikes but health problems make cycling easier. If its a bad day then I sit and sew or read.

GrannyLondon Sat 04-May-19 19:04:08

I am very sorry to hear about your Son Minerva.

granh1 Sat 04-May-19 18:52:40

Get outdoors, be creative with art and crafts, try to look on the positive side - but still get bouts of depression. I think trying to ignore Brexit will help, but that is difficult.

rosecarmel Sat 04-May-19 17:36:09

I like having enough sense to not rush for shelter when it begins to rain - It softens hair and skin, washes away anxiety and lifts the spirits all at the same time -- and it a FREE activity!

jennyvg Sat 04-May-19 17:07:51

Listen to a Dolly Parton CD

dorcas1950 Sat 04-May-19 16:23:44

Minerva flowers

whywhywhy Sat 04-May-19 16:09:15

I do watercolour painting during the day when the light is good and knit in front of the TV on a night. I battle depression on a daily basis but it never wins!

GabriellaG54 Sat 04-May-19 16:07:23

How nice sluttygran thank you.
I felt a bit horrible typing your name, as if I was being rude to you (although I know it'sa nickname and you're quite very houseproud)
Enjoy your weekend. grinflowers

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-May-19 15:30:26

It depends what the reason is, but usually I spring-clean if I am feeling down or sad. That way at least I achieve something and it passes the time better than sitting waiting for something horrible to happen.

sluttygran Sat 04-May-19 15:16:35

That’s such a lovely thought, Gabriella , I agree with you and shall remember your wisdom!
A walk always cheers me up, especially if it’s sunny, but I know that I’ll have to spend the rest of the day sitting down because even a short stroll knackers my knees and ankles.
I’d rather have sore knees than cabin fever however, so I keep on trekking.
Big hugs and soothing thoughts to those of you suffering low spirits - I do hope you find peace and comfort! flowerscupcake brew

GabriellaG54 Sat 04-May-19 14:35:03

I'm never 'down' in mood but, in contemplative moments, thinking about my children from their earliest years to today, always makes me smile with grateful thanks for the pleasure they brought and still do bring into my life.
Nothing equates to that serenity.

cupcake1 Sat 04-May-19 14:15:14

Minerva flowers and a virtual hug Xx