Gransnet forums

Chat

Lifting the spirits

(90 Posts)
NanKate Fri 03-May-19 11:40:21

I’ve been feeling rather down lately but having read some of the very sad situations of our GN members I decided to take myself in hand and improve matters.

I have gone out into the fresh air for a walk each day.
Reduced my time on the internet and returned to reading a book by one of my favourite authors.
Saved the life of a grasshopper who was crawling up the window in the lounge. ?

What do you do to improve your mood ?

Ilovecheese Fri 03-May-19 11:46:00

I sew.

joannapiano Fri 03-May-19 13:12:43

I sing with a lovely local choir, which always lifts my spirits, plus it’s good for my asthma.
I also like to walk everyday.

dragonfly46 Fri 03-May-19 13:14:21

I too like to walk.

Oldandverygrey Fri 03-May-19 13:15:01

Knit, knit, knit

Wobbles Fri 03-May-19 13:28:21

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling this way NanKate.
I luckily live near the coast, so a walk along the beach always brings me the peace I need.

NanKate Fri 03-May-19 14:20:41

Thank you folks for the suggestions.

I don't want to go into too many details but I know why my spirits are low, this time last year I was told that something dreadful was going to happen to one of my close relatives. It never did, but all the feelings of hopelessness and terror have flooded back to me. I know it will pass and things are a lot better now for my family. I will get myself back on track very soon.

Namsnanny Fri 03-May-19 14:30:33

Nankate...I’m sorry you are felling low, and I hope you do soon feel more like your normal self ?

I buy myself some scented flowers, pull up a few weeds, write a little note to my gs...(but don’t send it), or knit something, especially for my gchildren. Just to be doing something for them cheers me up a bit!
But sometimes nothing helps so I just hibernate and cry, let it all out until I can go back and pick myself up and do all of the above again!!???

Namsnanny Fri 03-May-19 14:33:28

Maybe ‘felling’ is a subconscious attempt to describe how you feel....but it should read feeling ?

Fennel Fri 03-May-19 16:35:33

Walking and gardening do help. But if I'm feeling lazy I listen to music on youtube. Certain tunes help a lot eg the Holberg Suite, and this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1UC-vCUZY

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-May-19 16:43:58

If I'm feeling down I try to achieve something - whether it's tacking a household chore or doing something creative depends on how I feel. Those little things help mo te feel better.

Squiffy Fri 03-May-19 16:53:45

Thanks for the link Fennel, I've got it playing now. Proper foot-tapper and it's making me smile - how does music make one do that?!

KatyK Fri 03-May-19 17:18:22

I walk along the canal towpath at the back of our house, watch the ducks and geese and occasional narrowboat. Or just go out into the garden.

Fennel Fri 03-May-19 17:26:53

Squiffy that one never fails for me smile.

Greenfinch Fri 03-May-19 17:39:11

I phone a friend and arrange to meet for coffee and a chat at some point in the following few days.

EllanVannin Fri 03-May-19 18:00:06

Listening to the birdsong first thing in the morning-----knowing I'm alive ! I just love nature at this time of the year with all the colourful flowering trees and shrubs. Magic ! I don't ask for much.

Sara65 Fri 03-May-19 19:11:30

Good book, light the fire, scented candles, cup of tea, always does it for me!

Tangerine Fri 03-May-19 19:56:20

I find a walk in the fresh air can lift my mood but appreciate that this advice is not suitable for anyone who can't get out and about.

Also TV. If you search hard enough, there are some very good programmes which take you out of yourself.

If you have a real problem, this advice won't work but it can get someone out of the doldrums.

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-May-19 00:39:49

Walking is out for me due to disability. I can't drive or use buses and unless someone takes me out, I'm confined to my home and often get 'cabin fever' grin

I sing sometimes - alone and with the doors shut so the neighbours don't complain.

I go to an elders group, but not if I'm feeling miserable; swim therapy is good (there's a shuttle to the pool but it has to be booked 24 hours ahead) but again, if I am very down, I have no impetus to do it.

I live near the bush so birds are lovely but if I'm really miz, none of this can cheer me.

There's no one I can ring to come for coffee, so I just have to wait for it to pass - and it usually does. smile

I'm not really the 'sad sack' this makes me sound, it's just that due to a visual handicap, I cannot do any of the things which used to cheer me up, such as getting out of the house, going to the beach, taking a picnic to the park etc.

crazyH Sat 04-May-19 00:50:13

Nankte. Bradfordlass ....so sorry you are feeling down. And all the others who are feeling low.
For some reason I am on a high and can't settle down to sleep even though it's 12.46. I am a bad sleeper at the best of times. But today i just can't relax. Nothing particularly has happened today...oh yes I won on the premium. Bond , for some reason I can't type the numbers, won twenty five pounds. Anyway must try and sleep , goodnight x

Lyndiloo Sat 04-May-19 01:08:03

Oh, go to the woods! The bluebells are out. Had such a lovely walk last weekend. The 'lift of my spirit' has lasted me all week.

oldgaijin Sat 04-May-19 07:20:43

A daily walk in the woods with my foster mutt usually works for me, especially when he meets more doggie pals for a romp and chase. We both come home smiling.

NanKate Sat 04-May-19 07:27:37

Your foster mutt sounds great company Okdgaijin.

Yes lyn I will try and spot some bluebells today.

NanKate Sat 04-May-19 07:28:10

Oldgaijin

DanniRae Sat 04-May-19 07:46:02

Thanks crazyH - I just checked and I have won 2 x £25 on the Premium Bonds!! grin