Gransnet forums

Chat

Next customer took my supermarket points

(52 Posts)
shandi6570 Wed 08-May-19 17:01:01

At the checkout in my local supermarket this morning I had a strange happening. About two thirds of the way through the process and before all my shopping had been scanned, the man behind me gave the Assistant his points card. I didn't notice as I was busy packing and the checkout woman thought he was with me and processed the card. Immediately after she realised that he was the next customer, not with me, and tried to delete the action, without success. I did not make a fuss, the poor woman was so apologetic, I didn't have a very large shop and I think they would have had to cancel the entire transation and start again if I had insisted that I had my points which would have been unfair on the queue of people behind us.

Afterwards it occurred to me that the man who caused the problem didn't seem very bothered which has left me wondering if he does this on a regular basis to add to his own points.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? It makes me think that I had better give my card to the Assistant at the beginning of the transaction and not at the end when I pay, as I usually do.

Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 10:22:00

power of our hormones
BradfordLass; That's not a very flattering caricature of you and if you stuck your tongue out any further you'd be swallowing a swarm of Aussie bush flies. grin For the record, my "guy hormones" otherwise known as testosterones, stopped raging when I reached 90, as I'm sure yours will one day, if they haven't already, so now I preach peace and good will to all men and certain special ladies now in my life, mainly nurses! grin OoRoo

jerseygirl Fri 10-May-19 19:23:45

That is so cheeky!! I'm sure if he had asked you you would have let him have the points. I always give my card to the assistant at the beginning of the checkout process

NannyG123 Fri 10-May-19 15:53:03

I've done it with my friend who hasn't got a card, but only if we've been to the restaurant for a snack and it was het turn to pay. I keep telling her to get a card.

JanaNana Fri 10-May-19 12:41:46

Wonder what would have happened if the shop assistant hadn't realised her error until you started to pay and presented your own points card, probably equally embarrassed and apologetic. In several different supermarkets when various queries arise the assistant rings and a supervisor comes to deal with it. A supervisor would probably have sorted it out or asked you to go to customer service desk. It's not the value of the points only in question but the fact that the other customer knowingly did this and has got away with it. The only lessons learned have been by you and shop assistant, the thief has got away with it.. As you say next time do the points first.

newnanny Fri 10-May-19 12:13:52

I must admit when I was teaching and the customer in front of me did not want her school vouchers I did tell her I was a teacher and our school was saving them, she gave them to me. The checkout operator also gave me some extra ones too that other customers had not taken.

albertina Fri 10-May-19 11:24:49

What a cheek. In my years working on a checkout I saw some odd things but never that !

Sulis Fri 10-May-19 10:39:31

It is called stealing.

Beckett Fri 10-May-19 10:12:33

Whilst I agree with Telly and sandelf that points are not worth much I save mine and use them at Christmas or sometimes to buy something - my last "purchase" was a slow cooker which I use on a regular basis. I know someone will tell me how much I had to spend to get those points - but I would have spent that money anyway!

chris8888 Fri 10-May-19 10:05:32

Wow the cheek of him l would have made a fuss and reported him to customer services

BradfordLass72 Fri 10-May-19 09:59:10

After all, it makes sense really

Course it does Rufus it's the power of our hormones.

Men just can't manage it.

Johno Fri 10-May-19 09:57:54

This is blatant theft. At the very least - total disrespect. Now I expect people to say .. "Oh calm down Johno, its not the 3rd world war".. its the principle. This is wrong and should never be accepted. I would email the branch manager and get this on record, they will then monitor cameras cctv. I would also insist that your due remittance be given to you. Explaining that the employee was caught off guard.

BradfordLass72 Fri 10-May-19 09:55:46

In our supermarket we swipe our cards ourselves a soon as the first item is scanned. That way no one can steal anything.

polnan Fri 10-May-19 09:51:26

well the other post, about how horrible people are now.. this is just the thin end of the wedge, as we used to say... dishonesty, is dishonesty and lack of respect for others is what it is all about...

GreenGran78 Thu 09-May-19 23:29:42

Rufus. Not all females dawdle at the checkout. I always pack quickly, sometimes just putting thing back in the trolley to pack away from the till, if they are busy. My cards are always in my pocket, ready for use.
I admit, though, that some take ages, fiddling about with their shopping bags and purses, and chatting to the assistant. I enjoy a chat if there is no queue, but whizz through if they are busy.
I have never had my loyalty points pinched in such a blatant way, and would have been very annoyed if it happened to me, regardless of how little they are worth. I often pass them on to the person behind if it’s a shop that I don’t have a card for. I also accept any of the free school tokens or collections cards, and give them to a child. They are always grateful.

DawnS Thu 09-May-19 23:17:51

I used to get 90.00 weekly fuel bills when I was running 4 teenagers around over 10 years ago.

notgoneyet Thu 09-May-19 18:16:05

Wouldn't work in our Tesco's, Phoenix. I have had people in front of me saying they don't have a card, and asking me if I'd like the points. The cashier [
always says "We can only put the points on the customer's own card"!!

bikergran Thu 09-May-19 16:22:06

similar to when a certain supermarket used to do price check.

You kept your receipt checked it against other supermarkets if there was a difference they would be a voucher to print out for you to use next time you shopped.

What people were doing was..trawling the car parks/little bins/empty trollies and taking other peoples receipts !! and using them to pricematch.

I had people coming using them (usualy the same people) and paying like 2p or 5p for the amount of shopping.

This to me was a type of fraud as the receipts were not theirs! they had not bought that shopping on the receipt.

The practice has now been stopped! grin

chezza1 Thu 09-May-19 15:32:48

Pity you didn't redeem the points on the card off your bill.

Pat1949 Thu 09-May-19 15:14:30

Btw It can't have been my husband. Letting him loose with my store cards is a step too far. ??

Pat1949 Thu 09-May-19 15:12:42

shandi6570 Yes, exactly my point. Having done all the shopping for the last 50years, it's now falling onto my husbands shoulders and quite frankly he honestly doesn't have a clue. I honestly dread going back to the shops I've always used for fear of what he's actually said or done there. I often have phone calls from him while he's out for some kind of confusion he's caused in a shop. I know I shouldn't moan, he is looking after me, but sometimes it gets a bit much. ?

shandi6570 Thu 09-May-19 14:59:36

It was my local Morrison's and I'm sure that if I had made a fuss they would have done something, but it wasn't worth the aggravation and only afterwards did I think it may have been done on purpose. Sounds as though most of you also have that opinion.

I hope we are wrong and it was just a husband unused to doing the shopping, but remembering his wife saying don't forget to collect the clubcard points as he left the house. ?

moggie57 Thu 09-May-19 13:24:40

if that was me i would have given him a mouthful. or waited till it was his turn and put his points on your card..........if they didnt have a card .i would say nicely can i have your points please.....

Rufus2 Thu 09-May-19 13:08:59

I wouldn't have minded holding up the queue
Newatthis: Blimey! You're brave! shock We had this topic before where it was determined that it was a much better guarantee of getting out of the store quickly by joining a check-out queue of 20 men rather one of a lone woman who invariably has card problems!
After all, it makes sense really! grin

Pat1949 Thu 09-May-19 12:53:46

Maybe some memory problem. Took the card out and gave it to the assistant before he forgot. Having been ill the last few months I've had to send my husband, who has a memory problem, out for the shopping, knowing what he's like at home, I dread to think how many people he's upset whilst shopping.

Camelotclub Thu 09-May-19 12:33:07

In the 1970's my then boss had a Jag XJ6 and I remember it had two petrol tanks. He could switch from one to t'other. I don't know if they still make these!