Gransnet forums

Chat

Next customer took my supermarket points

(51 Posts)
shandi6570 Wed 08-May-19 17:01:01

At the checkout in my local supermarket this morning I had a strange happening. About two thirds of the way through the process and before all my shopping had been scanned, the man behind me gave the Assistant his points card. I didn't notice as I was busy packing and the checkout woman thought he was with me and processed the card. Immediately after she realised that he was the next customer, not with me, and tried to delete the action, without success. I did not make a fuss, the poor woman was so apologetic, I didn't have a very large shop and I think they would have had to cancel the entire transation and start again if I had insisted that I had my points which would have been unfair on the queue of people behind us.

Afterwards it occurred to me that the man who caused the problem didn't seem very bothered which has left me wondering if he does this on a regular basis to add to his own points.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? It makes me think that I had better give my card to the Assistant at the beginning of the transaction and not at the end when I pay, as I usually do.

phoenix Wed 08-May-19 17:11:39

No, but I have been tempted when the person on the till asks the customer in front of me if they have a card, and the answer is " no" to but in and say "I have!"

Never had the front/nerve though!

NfkDumpling Wed 08-May-19 17:25:34

I’m terrible. I have offered my points to the person behind as I don’t have supermarket cards (DH usually does the shopping so I don’t bother with one), I’ve offered BOGOFFS to the nearest person with children if I have no need of whatever it is and do the same with school tokens.

grannyqueenie Wed 08-May-19 17:27:33

I’m glad I'm not only one who’s been tempted to do that, phoenix, never been brave enough!!

bikergran Wed 08-May-19 17:32:44

Sounds like hes one jump ahead and as he would surely know his shopping hadn't yet been put through...sneaky.

Urmstongran Wed 08-May-19 17:35:05

He was super sneaky. Not the assistant’s fault but you let him off lightly! Some people have no shame.

bikergran Wed 08-May-19 17:37:52

wonder how many times a week he does that!!

Slowcookervegan Wed 08-May-19 17:44:54

Unbelievable, i wish i was that bold.

crazyH Wed 08-May-19 17:48:47

The blooming cheek of him ?

Telly Wed 08-May-19 18:03:20

Seriously though, points are worth very little now, not worth worrying about.

acanthus Wed 08-May-19 18:08:36

I would have hung around until he was ready to pay and given my card to the assistant.

Calendargirl Wed 08-May-19 18:14:24

Always do the card bit at start of transaction.

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-May-19 18:28:10

Cheeky devil! If he hadn’t meant to nick your points, he’d surely have offered to let you have the points on his shop!

Bathsheba Wed 08-May-19 18:43:20

The poor woman was so apologetic

Blimey, it wasn't her who should have been apologising, but him. The nerve of the man! angry

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-May-19 19:23:57

Decades ago, driving down the M6, I stopped to top up with petrol.
A bit of a queue to pay, some with shopping and a man behind me was in a hurry and pushed in front.
After confusing the assistant (who spoke very little English) as to which pump he was on and paying for my top-up (which was only £26, the amount seared into my memory) he legged it. When I stepped back to the counter I was presented with his bill of £80.
No amount of talking could make the night assistant understand what I tried to explain.
I dived out, got in my car and drove like mad after him.
Luckily, my Beemer was able to eat the miles effortlessly and I was able to find him and note the reg plate.
Rang police, he was caught and ultimately fined a lot more than the two bills. I got my overpayment back and it transpired that he'd tried the trick before.
I've avoided green cars ever since. winkgrin

Bathsheba Thu 09-May-19 08:07:17

An £80 fuel bill 'decades ago'? Crikey, that must have been one flippin' outsize fuel tank he had hmm

H1954 Thu 09-May-19 08:14:10

I'm with acanthus on this one; I would definitely have waited and claimed his loyalty points! Alternatively, I would have claimed a complete refund at the till and started from scratch! That awful man had obviously done it before and no doubt makes a habit of touring local stores, identifying the ideal opportunity and pouncing! "Supermarket Stalker strikes again"!!!

polnan Thu 09-May-19 10:20:15

oh dear! there is no stopping scams where ever we go is there.

I offer my points and things to people, never had anyone pinch mine

I give my loyalty card to the checkout person first! habit... and mostly at our local Morrisons the check out person, will ask for card first

perhaps they have already encountered such sneaks!

Jaye53 Thu 09-May-19 10:41:06

Really?? How nasty can a person get? Yes you should have given your card for that sneaks shopping. Ps I would have kicked up a stink about it to him.

LindaJ Thu 09-May-19 11:13:05

I had the opposite experience, gentleman in front of me had a huge shop and when asked if he had a points card he said no and then asked if I had one, when I said yes he then said that I could have them as he did want them to go to waste!

sandelf Thu 09-May-19 11:21:57

Bit sneaky but we are talking pence so not a big deal. Have a look at how much points are worth - becleverwithyourcash.com/loyalty-card-points-worth/

Katek Thu 09-May-19 11:51:05

FIL did that with dh at the petrol station! Wouldn’t have been so bad, but it’s over 200 miles round trip to visit him so a few Nectar points might have been nice!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 09-May-19 12:09:26

sandelfMy loyalty points number is on my credit card which is what gives me more points and no matter how small my purchase they all add up.I have yet to find a retailer that doesn't take this card.Every little helpswink

Newatthis Thu 09-May-19 12:12:52

Once again - if people are allowed to behave badly - they will. I wouldn't have minded holding up the queue - it would have named and shamed him!

4allweknow Thu 09-May-19 12:17:16

Goodness, that's theft! He has taken something knowingly that did not belong to him. If that had happened to me I would have told him he also has to pay for my shopping! The man's a rat. Yes I have given tokens/vouchers I know I won't use to other folk too. Some though are issued to be used only in conjunction with the points card used at the time so can't be passed on.