Gransnet forums

Chat

Jury service

(31 Posts)
Scribbles Mon 13-May-19 11:40:09

I've had to do it twice. The first time in the 1990s and then about 15 years later. I absolutely hated the experience both times. A lot of tedious sitting about when, even with a book or knitting or whatever, you're just thinking of the useful everyday things you ought to be getting on with at home or at work.

Both times I did it, the weather was warm and the courtrooms got very hot so it was difficult to stay awake and attentive for much of the time. Some of my fellow jurors wanted to make a political point about everything when discussing the evidence; in one case two of them were determined we should acquit two burglars who'd been caught "bang to rights" because it was "obvious" (they said) the accused came from deprived backgrounds. In another, one juror was convinced the accused was only charged because he was black and nothing to do with the 2kg of skunk found in the footwell of his car and the hunting knife down his coat lining. (That case was dismissed on a technicality and sent for retrial so we never found out the truth).

I really, really hope I never have to do it again!

allassinsane Mon 13-May-19 08:45:46

I did about six or seven years ago. There is a lot of sitting around so take a book or something, though ofcourse you can have a chat with other jurors. Where I did it there was a basket with balls of wool and knitting needles that you could use if you wanted, so there were a few unfinished bits of knitting you could carry on with. I didn't but some did, even a couple of the young blokes had a go with a bit of tuition!

M0nica Sun 12-May-19 21:32:32

There was a thread on this very recently.
www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1260871-Why-not-me-or-my-family

NanKate Sun 12-May-19 21:29:18

Yes I did a week at the Reading Crown Court. Very interesting.

On one of the cases I was elected the Foreman and had to announce someone was guilty. All of us jurors were allowed out of the building early so that we didn’t come across any of the guilty person’s relatives in the foyer.

Take something to do as you often have to be allocated a case and that may take some time.

tanith Sun 12-May-19 21:25:23

I did about 3 yrs ago I really enjoyed it.

Menopaws Sun 12-May-19 21:17:18

I'm starting jury service tomorrow, fine about doing it but just wondered if anyone else has done it