Gransnet forums

Chat

How to have a delightfully aromatic home...

(59 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Mon 13-May-19 15:02:32

I am certain I have saved a fortune because I have not used conditioner for around 15 + years. It appeared to take a few months before the conditioner was eventually washed out of all of my clothing- now I do not know the difference and I am certain I have saved myself a few pounds.

Rosina Mon 13-May-19 14:21:01

Perhaps there was a message for me in that incident; reading various posters opinions, and wanting to do my bit for the planet, I will now abandon conditioner, as sometimes it doesn't really appear to make any difference . Every cloud.....

janeainsworth Mon 13-May-19 13:59:13

Oh Rosina I feel for you!

I don’t mind doing ordinary cleaning but there’s something particularly annoying about having to clean up big spills which happen when you least expect them and usually when you need to be doing something else.

I do have one helpful tip to pass on.

I never use fabric conditioner and guess what, my laundry always smells and feels nice!
Save your money and save the planet!

Craicon Mon 13-May-19 13:59:07

Goodness, poor you!
The thought of cleaning up all that liquid after it’s seeped everywhere... it must have been hellish.
Thankfully, I’m less likely to suffer a similar catastrophe as I don’t use fabric conditioner any more. I didn’t notice much difference in the clothes and I prefer to limit my encounters with artificial smells nowadays as they tend to make me sneeze.

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-May-19 13:55:18

But you can cry over spilled conditioner ?

Oh dear Rosina at least you have a good sense of humour.
On the bright side it is lovely lovely and clean under our cooker and fridge etc.
A horrible job ticked off.
?

EllanVannin Mon 13-May-19 13:52:46

I clean the bathroom floor/tiles using conditioner, also the tiled kitchen floor too. It's a versatile liquid.

GabriellaG54 Mon 13-May-19 13:34:46

Milk is much easier to wipe up.

Calendargirl Mon 13-May-19 13:29:13

At least it wasn’t a huge container of milk! Be thankful for small mercies.

Rosina Mon 13-May-19 13:25:38

I thought I might pass on this little tip; when arriving home almost on your knees with several bags of extremely heavy shopping, unpack same and place giant size bottle of fabric conditioner on worktop. Remove jacket, and in doing so ensure that you catch giant bottle with elbow and send it crashing onto tiled floor, where it will split from end to end and a tidal wave of conditioner will surge across your shoes, the kitchen floor, and into the dining room.
Spend the next hour or so trying to clean up slippery liquid which does not want to be absorbed into any kind of cloth or kitchen paper. Then keep filling bucket with hot soapy water and repeatedly mop slippery finish from floor. Lastly, with help, pull out cooker, large and heavy fridge, and dishwasher, and remove all kick boards on kitchen units in order to repeat the above over the next hour or so. Try to ensure that grandchildren, who arrive in middle of exercise, do not hear what you are muttering.
Your home will smell wonderfully of 'Clean Cotton' .
Alternatively, light a scented candle.

Anyone else have any household tips learned in similar manner?