Gransnet forums

Chat

Doris Day

(38 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 13-May-19 14:11:10

Doris Day has died , age 97

RIP

Urmstongran Tue 14-May-19 09:15:21

Reading the newspapers she had a car crash of a personal life. 4 husbands, one who beat her, one who stole millions of dollars and estrangement from her only child, a son who predeceased her. Very sad.

annodomini Tue 14-May-19 09:13:27

Thinking of CALAmine lotion?

Witzend Tue 14-May-19 08:34:45

I swear that on the news very early this morning, I heard the presenter pronounce 'Calamity (Jane)' as 'CALAmity', instead of 'CalAMity'.
Whatever is the Beeb coming to?

janeainsworth Tue 14-May-19 01:16:08

Oh that’s lovely notagran.

NotAGran55 Tue 14-May-19 00:34:05

Just back from seeing Eric Clapton tonight and he opened the show with a short version of Que Sera Sera and a mumbled ‘RIP Doris’ It was a lovely touching tribute .

Jomarie Mon 13-May-19 22:51:17

My father's favourite lady (apart from my mother, of course) - he always smiled when she came on the radio or later the TV - "Take me back to the Black Hills" still evokes nostalgia in me - Anne Shelton was another of his favourites - there's a pattern emerging I can see now........ grin

callgirl1 Mon 13-May-19 22:29:33

A lovely lady, wonderful singer and actress, and beautiful with it.
RIP Doris Day

JessK Mon 13-May-19 21:27:13

When I was a teenager I loved the films she did with Rock Hudson. In her latter years she set up an animal trust. She was only nominated once for an Oscar but never won one. She was a fine lady

ginny Mon 13-May-19 20:36:38

Loved her songs and her films.
Secret Love was my first solo public performance.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-May-19 20:19:12

I loved Please Please don't eat The daisies (think that's the correct name), there was another one where she had been marooned on a desert island, presumed dead and her husband had remarried also the one where she shared a "party line telephone" always watch Doris Day films when I find one on tv.

Jacinta55 Mon 13-May-19 20:11:25

I loved Doris Day when I was younger, Calamity Jane probably my favourite. RIP Doris.

Happychops Mon 13-May-19 19:31:45

Oh how I loved Doris Day. I remeber the first time I watched her ,I was a young girl babysitting and calamity jane was on tv. I was hooked from then on and have lost count of the times I have watched this film, I always enjoy it as though it was the first time I saw it. I have watched loads of her films but this was the one for me. I have been a fan ever since, she did bring out a new song the other year to raise money for her dog charity .im not sure how well that went, but she was exceptionally talented.

NanaandGrampy Mon 13-May-19 19:25:28

Grampy is devastated ! She was his movie star crush!

Luckygirl Mon 13-May-19 19:21:23

Her voice was so much a part of my childhood.

rosecarmel Mon 13-May-19 19:11:48

Oh! And dont eat the daisies!

rosecarmel Mon 13-May-19 19:09:21

The glass bottom boat and Move over, darling ..

And she did have the "it" factor .. Like Audrey Hepburn did ..

janeainsworth Mon 13-May-19 19:09:05

It was ‘Move Over Darling’ for me!?

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-May-19 18:28:39

Doris Day was a lovely lady from the Silver Screen
My mum loved Doris Day and Cart Grant.

She had the 'It' factor.
Hard to put your finger on what the 'It' was.

RIP Doris Day.

hugshelp Mon 13-May-19 18:10:18

Bringing back lovely memories of her films and songs. 97 is good. RIP Doris.

Tedber Mon 13-May-19 17:44:18

Calamity Jane is one of my old time favourites too! Fabulous songs and loved her voice.

She had a long and hopefully, happy life but sad all the same.
RIP Doris Day. Not many of the 'greats' left now. Sad sad

glammanana Mon 13-May-19 17:34:50

I always admired her ever since my mum took me to see Annie Get Your Gun,always loved her hair.RIP lovely lady.

MawBroonsback Mon 13-May-19 17:30:47

Such memories from my childhood. We used to listen to songs like “The Black Hills of Dakota” and “Whip crack away” and “Secret Love” on 78s on the radiogram on a Sunday night!
RIP Doris Day
A particular favourite to share
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbKHDPPrrc

CanadianGran Mon 13-May-19 17:28:59

What a lovely talent she was! I loved her for her beautiful smile and voice, and she had a lovely outlook that carried through to the audience. And she had great comic abilities.

Please don't eat the Daisies! This movie came out before I was born, but I watched it on TV when I was a child, and I think I fell in love with Doris then.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 16:14:46

Oh no! I only watched a film of hers over the weekend. Love Me or Leave Me with James Cagney. I loved it. I so wanted to be just like her when I was a girl.

She had a good innings. Sad though.

Nonnie Mon 13-May-19 15:56:06

Apparently when she sang Que Sera, Sera she had just discovered her husband had defrauded her of all her wealth. Not sure I could have felt like that.