Gransnet forums

Chat

Wedding "favours"?

(81 Posts)
Dontaskme Mon 13-May-19 20:31:11

We're going to our DS wedding overseas soon, and I really want to take something unusual (and light!) for the tables/other guests. Any suggestions please? So far I like wedding crackers but they're quite ordinary, so I'd appreciate any other ideas please. Its going to be a small "do" but I want to help make it very special.

rocketstop Wed 15-May-19 11:15:53

tables not tablkes !!

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 12:53:50

Cant believe so many think wedding favours are a new fad.

They are a nod to tradition.

It used to always be sugared almonds. It was traditional/superstition and each colour symbolised a well wish for the couple (fertility, health etc) .

But sugar almonds were a bit gross. People always left them on the table. If you tried to eat them you felt like you would break a tooth. So over time people started replacing them with things they thought their guests would like better.

No they are not necessary or compulsary, but if someone wants to do that nod to tradition so what.

OP either the couple have decided that they dont like favours and dont want them, in which case yours will go down like a lead balloon

Or they DO want them and will have spent time planning their own if you havent been deligated to for this task. In which case it will be awkward for the guests when you give out your "competing" favours.

Calendargirl Wed 15-May-19 13:15:04

When DD married her Australian fiancé in Oz, her future in-laws insisted on providing stuff on the guests tables although DD didn’t want them and her fiancé didn’t want to upset his mum. So sugared almonds inside champagne flutes appeared. Most people left them behind, I think they thought they were extra glasses. I took a few home as souvenirs for relatives who couldn’t attend, virtually everyone from our family. 20 years on, DD would not have stood for this interference from in-laws. Also as so many GNers write about not wanting extra clutter etc. why bother with favours?

Dontaskme Mon 20-May-19 22:04:14

As I know my own DS, I know if a little surprise for each guest will be welcomed or not.

Thank you again to those who have come up with some great suggestions, of which there are at least a couple that I will be using.

My DS is getting married, yippee !!!! He's the Groom. Did I say whether or not there is a Bride?????????????????????????? smile

Abuelana Mon 20-May-19 23:28:13

The Spanish have little pins that the brides carry and give to all the female guests. The pins go a certain way (I’d have to check) if you’re married and the opposite way if you are single. I’ll take a photo tomorrow. I’d be happy to buy and send x