Gransnet forums

Chat

A lovely sight

(12 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 14-May-19 14:55:57

I left home this morning my mind full of all the things I had to do and places I had to go. Suddenly I had to stop ..... to allow a pheasant herd her three little chicks across the road. She was weaving from side to side to make sure they kept moving. It was lovely to see. Perked me up no end!

SisterAct Tue 14-May-19 14:59:58

How lovely. We all need something to perk us up and nothing like Mother Nature ?

EllanVannin Tue 14-May-19 15:06:02

A lovely sight and also a lovely thought that they reached the other side safely.

Squiffy Tue 14-May-19 15:33:07

How lovely ? Even lovelier to know that they made it safely across.

We had a ‘moment’ this morning - several starlings landed on the patio and they had their fledglings with them. We watched while the adults fed the squawking babies. Never seen that in real life before!

Oldwoman70 Tue 14-May-19 15:34:34

Yes they made it safely to the other side (I didn't have the heart to run them over ..................just kidding!)

agnurse Tue 14-May-19 15:35:59

Gorgeous!

I was walking home from work several years ago and it was first thing in the morning (worked a night shift - I'm a nurse). Suddenly I saw an animal on the grass about 6-8 feet away from me. At first I thought it was a cat, then realized it was a fox! We looked straight into each other's eyes for a few seconds, then it turned tail and ran off. It was absolutely surreal.

We have foxes in Canada, but they are not as common as I believe they are in the UK. They can pose a threat to livestock, most commonly chickens, but a good coop with a tight-latching gate is usually enough to keep them out, I believe.

fairisle Tue 14-May-19 15:42:47

That is lovely! i saw 2 starlings pecking away at some grass near my home yesterday,i haven`t seen starlings for years!

Squiffy Tue 14-May-19 15:50:52

Fairisle That’s because they’ve all moved in here! I’ve never seen so many in a garden. Last year our roof was completely covered in them - the noise was deafening!

MiniMoon Tue 14-May-19 17:07:40

I'm feeding my granddaughter's fish while she is away camping with the rest of the family. On the way to their house this morning I saw a sterling with a break full of worms, sitting on the edge of the roof. I didn't see where it flew off to but it must have its best nearby. We rarely see them around here.

MrsEggy Tue 14-May-19 17:43:15

20+ starlings on the lawn this morning, they emptied the bird bath with their splashy washing. They must nest locally but I don't know where.

HildaW Tue 14-May-19 17:45:55

Totally agree Oldwoman70, had a similar moment out walking the dog.....two families of geese with half a dozen goslings a piece. They are lovely to watch, the Mum and Dad working together and keeping a watch out at all times.

chelseababy Tue 14-May-19 18:49:31

We had starlings yesterday too!