Gransnet forums

Chat

Flatulent cats, part 2

(31 Posts)
phoenix Tue 14-May-19 21:03:45

Evening all,

I can barely type this for laughing!

Some of you may have seen my previous thread on this topic, so hopefully it will make some sense to some of you!

Well, dainty little Minnie, while making herself comfortable on Mr P had a "windy pop" (as he refers to them).

It was so bad, we lit a scented candle, which helped.

A short while later she moved to the other end of the sofa, and had another "emission".

The candle was still burning, but I remembered a tip that I read on a GN thread about odours in lavatories, and struck a match in the vicinity of Minnies nether regions.I

Mr P watched with interest, before saying "I don't think trying to set lights to her farts will help"

grin

Lisalou Fri 17-May-19 20:29:13

I had a sweet little siamese years ago, a truly pretty little creature. But oh the farts. If you removed her from your lap because you needed to get on, or in fact, if you did anything she did not approve of, she would immediately fart - and oh boy the stink! I had never before or since, known man or beast capable of farting by design!

Legs55 Thu 16-May-19 20:42:40

Thanks for the laughs, sorry I missed Part 1

My delightful ginger cat fortunately doesn't suffer wind or if he does he takes it outside. Given the treats he likes such as salmon with sweet chilli sauce, stem ginger oat biscuits, ginger biscuits, perhaps it's the ginger that keeps him "sweet"hmm

labazsisslowlygoingmad Thu 16-May-19 20:23:58

charcoal is very good for flatulence my dogs luckily like charcoal biscuits and believe me they need them but dont know how you could get a cat to eat them

dizzygran Thu 16-May-19 20:18:51

Thank you for your post = really made me chuckle. My elderly Siamese is a bit gassy - she usually waits till she is sitting on my DH.

phoenix Thu 16-May-19 19:19:08

Soorry, it crashed! I meant "appreciated"!

phoenix Thu 16-May-19 19:18:06

AlisonKF are there any that you can recommend? It would be apprece

Nannylovesshopping Thu 16-May-19 19:10:25

My spaniel asleep somewhere else, jumps up next to me
on sofa, silently farts, as the aroma arises, turns to me and
then jumps off as if it’s me, it isnt?

AlisonKF Thu 16-May-19 18:38:10

Feed the cats with almost entirely protein meat and fish. Cats should not be eating vegetables or grains- often used to bulk up cheaper foods. High protein foods cost more but are kinder to your cats.

phoenix Thu 16-May-19 18:35:45

My late boss had 2 Labradors, and I loved taking them for a walk, (or in the case of the older one, trundle) at lunch time.

The old chap (the dog, not my boss) would trot happily through the orchard, tail wagging and farting loudly at every step!

Happy days!

BonnieBlooming Thu 16-May-19 18:27:22

We have a very farty elderly labrador! He comes into a room, plops down and farts as he does so! Exit us almost fainting with the smell ?

agnurse Thu 16-May-19 16:56:01

My husband told me about it. He saw it happen.

Merryweather Thu 16-May-19 13:12:21

I think you need to change their diet!

I recommend royal canin vet care range. Definitely less flatulence, although Lord Charleston does burp on occasion.

???

Annaram1 Thu 16-May-19 12:54:56

agnurse, did your father in law actually admit to this?
Lighting farts with fire is dangerous in the extreme. Don't do it.

Glammy57 Thu 16-May-19 12:47:23

Haha, Phoenix - glad I had a wee before reading your post!! ??

Margs Thu 16-May-19 11:47:51

I once had a most beautiful snow-white cat who made the most awful stink (a silent killer!)

I could hardly believe that such a terrible stench could emanate from a creature so lovely.

She had two names: Lupin (none fart days) & Pong-Whiffy (farty days).

agnurse Wed 15-May-19 22:44:17

My FIL lit his farts on fire once.

It resulted in some minor burns to his hand. He's lucky it wasn't worse.

I would not recommend that approach.

In all seriousness, you might need to try changing her food. There may be something in what she's eating that's making her more...erm...fragrant, shall we say, than she has been.

phoenix Wed 15-May-19 22:42:20

Yep, it definitely (well, most likely) seems to be chicken one! confused

She did again, Mr P came over all of a doo dah and left the room! He also left instructions that she was NOT to be allowed into the bedroom until she was flatulence free!

If anyone can tell me how to ascertain that particular state of affairs, without actually sitting up for hours on end, within the line of fire, so to speak, I would appreciate it!

phoenix Wed 15-May-19 21:08:34

Doodle the extent of the stench makes me think that sloshing copious amounts of fabric softener around the room might not quite mask it, and anyway, Rosina did say it was very hard to clean up. (I have visions of my sitting room being as slippery as a skating rink, although the entertainment value of watching the cats try to negotiate their way across it could be quite high!)

Slowcookervegan (and this is the only time I will type your name in full! smile hope you had a soft landing!grin

Slowcookervegan Wed 15-May-19 20:55:33

Fell off the sofa laughing. Thank you smile

Doodle Wed 15-May-19 20:19:57

phoenix if the smell persists you could always try Rosina’s remedy in her thread How to have an aromatic home ?

Doodle Wed 15-May-19 20:13:48

Just tried to search GN on flatulent cats part 1 to remind myself and apparently, if you are interested, Amazon do a good deal on Flatulence. ..so if your running short of windy pops you know where to go ?

Doodle Wed 15-May-19 20:10:11

Yes I think I did but with my memory being a bit wonky I can’t remember what was said. I now under stand about dear Oliver. He was lucky that you came along to rescue him. Surely he wouldn’t repay your kindness with windy pops.......would he ?

phoenix Wed 15-May-19 19:46:40

Forgot to ask, Doodle, did you see part one?

phoenix Wed 15-May-19 19:42:14

Doodle he came to us from Cats Protection just called "Sprout"!

We added the "Oliver" in an attempt to bestow some dignity on him!

Doodle Wed 15-May-19 17:56:42

I knew as soon as I saw the title of this thread that it would be another of your gems phoenix grin
Re Oliver Sprout - if you call him that, what do you expect in the windy pops department ?