Gransnet forums

Chat

Scooter Madman

(21 Posts)
Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 08:40:52

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ZEX_mvbLM
Annie; Especially for you! Thought it might give you a laugh, but don't try this at home and don't let Fred see it! grin Sorry I can't figure out how to delete the rest of the video after the scooter bit, but I advise you to stop viewing or go to mute, unless you don't mind a bit of road-rage type language! Our No.1 son saw this on their evening TV news in Brisbane and phoned to ask if it was me! 92 year old, Glen.W police station, our local! I thanked him for his concern, but said I wasn't that crazy, yet! grin
Hope this upload works! confusedGood Health

ninathenana Wed 15-May-19 08:52:04

It's not viewable in UK

ninathenana Wed 15-May-19 08:53:21

The link is not viewable but if you click the pic you can view.

Bathsheba Wed 15-May-19 09:10:01

What pic, ninathenana? Am I being dense here yes probably

Anniebach Wed 15-May-19 09:12:56

Rufas it can’t be viewed in this country, pity , I thought I could learn a few things ?

Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 09:40:31

It's not viewable in UK
Why on earth not? OK! Try this!
Highlight the blue link/ Right click/ click "Search Google...etc."/ and it should come up with a thumbnail for further clicking! Good Luck

Fennel Wed 15-May-19 09:44:59

The link doesn't work for me, but I saw the clip yesterday on the website of one of the tabloids.

Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 10:28:37

I saw the clip
Fennel; Can you post that? I'm trying to give Annie a laugh being a scooter fan.

Anniebach Wed 15-May-19 10:30:46

Rufas I would rather like to be a ‘Scooter Madwoman*

grannyactivist Wed 15-May-19 10:44:45

www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/92yo-man-took-his-mobility-scooter-for-a-joy-ride-on-a-freeway/news-story/097225d0f51cee97c543d1eae00602bf
Click on the link then scroll down to the video on the bottom right of the page.

Anniebach Wed 15-May-19 10:51:10

Thank you Grannyactivist

Love it, want to do the same. Perhaps the man is Rufas ?

Squiffy Wed 15-May-19 10:54:25

Brilliant!

Judging by the speed at which they zoom along, some of the mobility scooterists around here think they're on a motorway - they're lethal!!

Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 13:51:37

Love it, want to do the same. Perhaps the man is Rufas ?
Thank you everyone: I'm so pleased that it finally got through to "Madwoman", but I'd caution you Annie, not to take Fred on to a motorway, unless perhaps you can get him fitted with a turbo super-charger! grin
How did you guess it was in fact me? Correct driving technique? Use of hand signals and keeping out of the fast lane? Poor Freda hasn't recovered yet! sad

Anniebach Wed 15-May-19 13:55:21

Rufas you don’t know Mid Wales, the distance to get to a motorway ?

boat Wed 15-May-19 14:29:52

My neighbour has a mobility scooter. Talk about, "Lethal"! Boy Racer doesn't cover it and he's 85!

When I see him go out I sit firmly on my boat until he is back.

Mind you I have been tempted by the ones provided by local supermarkets. They look like fun and nobody would know I don't really need one.

Anniebach Wed 15-May-19 14:34:32

My younger daughter who lives a long distance from me told me it was safer crossing a road than walking on the pavement and walking out of a shop caused one to look right and left before stepping out ?

Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 14:49:06

Mind you I have been tempted by the ones provided by local supermarkets
Boat; You don't have to "need" one, just go for it; they are fun and shop assistants fall over themselves to fetch things off the shelves for you. Our local Council bus picks us up from home and deposits us at a supermarket for 2 hours. I've practised on one for ages and still do even though I've now got my own, but it stays home on bus days.! And all for free! Can't beat it! grin

boat Wed 15-May-19 14:53:50

I think part of the problem is that a lot of mobility scooter users have finally been persuaded by their families saying, "Look Dad, it really is time for you to give up driving".

(I'm not being sexist, just reporting from observation that it's mostly males speeding in my local town). A scooter must seem so slow by comparison with a car that they can't adjust.

My elderly neighbour happily recounts how many dustbins he has collided with on rubbish collection day.

Why do they make scooters capable of more than 4 mph (a fast walking speed)?

I suppose its the same logic that allows cars to be produced that can easily do more than the top speed restriction.

boat Wed 15-May-19 14:55:26

Rufus2.

Sorry to get serious on you.

Rufus2 Thu 16-May-19 11:24:28

Rufas you don’t know Mid Wales, the distance to get to a motorway.
Annie; In my ignorance of Wales I thought Powys that you reference regularly was a town, but you spurred me on to check out Dr.Google, only to find that Newtown is where it all happens! True or False.? smile In true serendipity fashion I now know something about "Funk in the Forrest"!
I don't think there will be be many scooters there! grin No! my motorway ref. was simply to avoid Fred, and you of course, being exposed to fast traffic; I would think your nearest High St. would be safer, especially on a Sunday; or doesn't Wales shut down these days, as of yore?grin Take care Annie and Good Health.

Anniebach Thu 16-May-19 11:38:06

Rufas Powys is a the largest county in Mid Wales, many market towns. When my husband was in the police force we were moved to Welshpool, a lovely town, north Powys , our next move was 87 miles down to the South of Powys .

Wales is in the 21st century, pubs open on Sunday . When I was a gal if we wanted to go to a pub on Sunday we had to drive into England ?