Gransnet forums

Chat

Dreading turning 60 tomorrow

(111 Posts)
nonnasusie Fri 17-May-19 07:08:33

I got married a week after my 60th birthday then a week later moved to Italy. That was nearly 11 years ago! Forget the numbers, act your shoe size not your age. Buon compleanno ????

Jaffacake2 Fri 17-May-19 07:01:43

Happy birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day and embrace your next decade with family who love you,good health and happiness.

jeanie99 Fri 17-May-19 00:42:25

The big birthdays have never concerned me in the least. The most important thing for me is health, how well I feel, the things I am capable of doing, having plenty of energy.
I retired at 62 yrs old and with my husband and a friend we backpacked round the world for 12 months a dream come true for me. The freedom to do just what I wanted to do after years of working.
Health is the most important thing in life not age.
I'm accumulating health issues now at 74 but I can still do all the things I want to do so life is good.

Coolgran65 Fri 17-May-19 00:21:20

I'm 70 in a couple of weeks and it's like..... Who...me ??
Make every day count.

rosecarmel Thu 16-May-19 23:50:18

Yes, happy birthday! .. smile

Framilode Thu 16-May-19 23:22:27

You will always feel 22 in your head. Try not to feel sad, 60 is relatively young. I can remember feeling the same as you and now, 12 years later, it seems young. Happy Birthday.

rosecarmel Thu 16-May-19 23:21:26

My mum insisted she's been 25 since she hit 50 -- she's now 99 .. smile

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-May-19 23:20:16

Sorry but not big

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-May-19 23:19:58

Don’t be sad. I will be 66 in July also divorced big very happy, I don’t feel old although I do have some manageable health issues. 60 is the new 40 don’t you know!

You might live another 30 years. Enjoy !

Tangerine Thu 16-May-19 23:19:50

It's not all downhill. I am now nearer to 70 and I have been out and about to plenty of places and I mostly enjoy life. I am lucky, I realise, to be healthy still.

My advice is - forget the years, enjoy your birthday. I hope you're able to do something special to mark the landmark birthday.

MarieLL59 Thu 16-May-19 23:12:31

Sorry this is a very self indulgent post. I’m 60 tomorrow and I feel very scared about the future. I feel that it’s all downhill from now on. For me this is worse than turning 40 or 50. Please don’t berate me because I realise the alternative is obviously worse, plus many people aren’t lucky enough to get to 60. I’m divorced, single with grown up children and grandchildren, I work full time as a nurse. So nothing to be miserable about etc, but I can’t believe i’m 60!! In my head i’m actually 22 so I feel there must be some mistake! The good thing about being this age is the insight I now seem to have, plus I know some pretty fabulous post 60 ladies, but that hasn’t helped me stop the feeling that time is running out for me. I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me if they felt the same, and does it get better?