Gransnet forums

Chat

Goodbye M&S

(50 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 17-May-19 19:36:25

I used to buy all my clothes and my children’s in Marks. Their clothes were well designed and well made, passed down through all the family.
I’ve bought less and less in recent years. The jumpers go bobbley, the styles are peculiar, the quality is the same as Primark’s.
Today I went there and sadly said goodbye. My toasted tea cake came with the meanest possible smear of butter and I walked past clothes I wouldn’t have wanted even if free. The tee shirts were transparent. Cheap rubbish from third world sweatshops.
I did buy a nice chocolate Swiss roll but Marks cannot live by cake alone.

Willow500 Sat 18-May-19 07:13:14

I have mixed feelings about M&S - we have a food only store on a retail park nearby which I was in yesterday - the food quality is very good but it's not where I would buy a whole week's shop as it's too expensive. I was in the main store a few weeks ago and didn't see anything I would want to wear but did buy a full set of their beautiful new picnic range in the homeware department. I usually buy my underwear at M&S too.

Esspee Sat 18-May-19 07:25:53

GabriellaG54. As you seem to be constantly renewing your wardrobe might I ask for your cast-offs?

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-May-19 08:47:15

For me it’s a mixed bag. I have bought 2 lovely dresses there recently £25 and £30. Lovely brightly coloured cotton chino trousers and a really nice pair of shoes for a wedding. Last summer lovely linen shorts. However their T shirts are dire and some of the patterns so dowdy and can never find a nice skirt or something for “posh” wearing at Christmas without it being black, a colour I hate. I keep trying but it’s hit and miss

BlueSapphire Sat 18-May-19 09:18:07

Must admit there's not a lot in Marks that catches my eye at the moment, but did get a lovely floaty sundress last year, and recently bought some nice shirts. And a nice pair of jeans last month. Will need to visit the bra department shortly as I need a nude colour minimiser bra for my upcoming cruise. Most of my dresses come from Marks too, mostly on line though, as there's more choice.
Lost our local branch last year, so it's either Rushden Lakes or Milton Keynes.

Witzend Sat 18-May-19 09:27:40

I do find the odd thing, but I really do have to root around now for anything I like. Much of the stuff frankly makes me shudder and wonder who on earth would buy it.

I've always liked their summer linen, since it's one of the few ranges they apparently don't feel the need to produce in garish colours/patterns, or stick fussy/tacky 'bits' on.

Nice and plain, good quality, wash and wear very well. Won't be buying any this year, though, since I've got plenty from previous years.

Poppyred Sat 18-May-19 09:36:37

I agree with you Watermeadow, most of their dresses this year are ‘peculiar’ except for one or two lovely linen shift dresses that I managed to snap up before they sold out!

You would think that they would reorder styles that sell well. ....but no.

BlueSapphire Sat 18-May-19 12:12:23

Next have some lovely linen type shift dresses.

lilypollen Sat 18-May-19 12:56:00

I was looking for navy denims last week. What a hotch potch of styles. I would like a good slim-fit. None of your skinny, super skinny, high rise, tapered, I could go on. Quality from the countries they now use for manufacture is terrible. I had a quick look at Next and Tu and the quality seemed ok so will make time to have a try on.

Sara65 Sat 18-May-19 12:57:12

I agree witzend

They have a tendency to spoil everything! Even their children’s clothes has to have fussy and unnecessary additions

Jane10 Sat 18-May-19 13:07:25

It varies enormously from store to store. The managers' choice depends on local demand. Nothing too fancy around here!

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 14:17:50

Esspee ?
You certainly can but they are in different sizes 14s and 16s bottoms and 14-18 tops.
I have a beautiful cream trouser suit that I will never fit into again and a 3 piece pin-stripe trouser suit in dark brown, both straight-legged trousers. I've a pair of Versace black silk trousers size 14. Not floppy silk, more a grosgrain finish but not thick.
Too lazy ATM to put anything on eBay.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 14:34:36

Their manufacturing bases are those of Primark and other brands.
I sent for and today received the 'High Summer' Poetry catalogue and I'm hooked ??
Grabbing a pen and leaving through the pages, I found myself marking most of them until sense prevailed and, after some M&S Malling Centenary strawberries and cream, I ordered just 5 items...at a cost. My excuse is that they are beautiful linen and silk and will last until I have no need for ought but a shroud. ☺

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 14:37:32

leaving leafing

Apologies for the huge emojis. I've no idea how they morphed into such a size. Some appear as normal on other threads confused

Glammy57 Sat 18-May-19 14:43:39

I like M&S food hall and their furniture is good quality but I never buy their clothes - poorly made, garish colours and cheap fabrics.

Lazigirl Sat 18-May-19 14:47:23

Jane10 I bought one of those M&S Indian cotton, ethically sourced dresses and love it. Nice and cool, only problem, I will have to have it shortened a bit.

Glammy57 Sat 18-May-19 14:49:01

I’m another fan of Poetry clothing - well made and quality fabrics!

LullyDully Sat 18-May-19 14:49:42

I do still try to shop there, as it is convenient and for me a lifelong habit.

I had to get the assistant....yes I found one....to interpret the jeans , which she did at great length. I need just the slim ones apparently.

I have more trouble with their blouses which seem quite boring these days. I find their linen ones crease badly. So I go to the large M & S for choice. The little ones are no good.

Sadly, I must try other places to shop I think. Thanks for the recommendations. However the trouble with on line clothes is you can't see what they are like easily.

Juliet27 Sat 18-May-19 14:51:06

[maggiemay]. I've got that same stone colour linen dress - not worn it yet. Hope it washes well!

Telly Sat 18-May-19 17:10:06

I am not a massive fan, but bought some cream jeans this week, would have bought the pinky/buff ones but they didn't have my size and a white t-shirt for £4.50. They had t-shirts in a range of different fits and I have to say they were very good quality.

Deedaa Sat 18-May-19 18:09:32

I recently bought a passable pair of chinos, I think they may have been in the sale. They are cut a bit skinny from the knee down but don't look too bad. I also found a nice cream indian cotton top which I am very happy with. It's a very big branch though, you'd think I might have been tempted by a few more things.

Mapleleaf Sat 18-May-19 19:04:19

I find M & S quite variable. There has been a lot of poor quality, odd looking clothing available, but occasionally there are some good pieces. I think their problem now is a lack of consistency. At one time, you could be guaranteed that whatever you wanted you could find it and it would be of decent quality and styling. Now, it’s much more hit and miss.

lilypollen Mon 20-May-19 20:19:08

In fairness I do buy all my underwear there and can't fault their wide range of styles and sizes of bras. I like their food but nearest Food Hall is 25 minutes away from me.

Sara65 Mon 20-May-19 20:38:15

They’re still my favourite for food! All the staff are lovely, been going to the same store for forty years plus, and some of the ladies have been there all that time. Lots of young men on the tills now, and they’re all lovely

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 20:44:31

Yes. Used to be reliable for a certain level of quality and durability. Even if their fashions missed the mark their basics were still good. Tights from there were a great investment, in fact I still have some M&S tights from 10ish years ago that have never ripped, shrunk or bobbled!

I used to get DHs work socks from M&S. Now tescos last better and stay soft without shrinking!

Now M&S are not even "fast fashion" that dont wash well. They are not fashionable or practical!

Primark and peacocks actually last longer