Gransnet forums

Chat

Delight

(91 Posts)
DoraMarr Sat 18-May-19 18:04:37

A columnist in the Guardian, Hannah Jane Parkinson, writes each week about delight. She takes her inspiration from JB Priestly’s little illustrated book “Delight,” which is itself a delight. I’m wondering what others find delightful, (other than family moments.) Today I saw a little family of ducks, including seven ducklings. I last saw them a few weeks ago, and assumed the young had been eaten by other birds, or foxes or rats. But there they were, the ducklings now with brown feathers, more teenage ducks than ducklings. I also find the smell of rain on pavements after a dry spell- petrichor- delightful, and that moment before a concert when the leader stands up and the orchestra tunes up, and the whole concert hall, musicians and audience, feels that sense of anticipation. What delights you?

Juliet27 Mon 20-May-19 07:10:42

BBbevan. I was watching that Bryan Ferry programme too. There's something about him!!

morethan2 Mon 20-May-19 07:31:16

Even in the most testing of times I think It’s the small things that delight us. Apart from family these are the things that delight me. The feeling of sun on my skin, the sound of children playing, first signs of spring, crisp autumn days, virgin snow, clean sheets and glorious views.

Esther1 Mon 20-May-19 07:37:33

The sheer delight in the casual day to day contact with my dd and her family. For well over a decade they lived on the other side of the world. We could only see them on special occasions, so the joy of these chance encounters in the town, or my back door opening and a smiling face just popping in, makes me want to cry with joy.

DanniRae Mon 20-May-19 07:52:57

If all these posts are about experiencing delight why am I sitting here with tears in my eyes? The sheep being helped back onto it's feet and expressing her gratitude and the daughter returning from the other side of the world were enough to move me this morning.
This is a wonderful thread - from the poster who loves a good game of football to all the posts about nature - keep them coming, please!

Blinko Mon 20-May-19 09:33:00

Birds feeding in the garden, the smell of washing dried outdoors, a proms concert at a local church, singing with our choir, wonderful sunsets.

Aren't we lucky?

SalsaQueen Mon 20-May-19 09:37:51

My grandchildren, clamouring to tell me about their day.
My cat, mewing and wanting to be cuddled.
The smell of freshly-cut grass. Washing blowing on the line.
Lambs in the fields nearby.

Kim19 Mon 20-May-19 09:40:08

Bracing myself for the charge of the light brigade in the shape of one GD who rushes at me the minute I appear at the foot of her driveway. The exhilaration/fear (of falling over!) is beyond wonderful.

Justme67 Mon 20-May-19 09:43:12

It is so good to see that nature which is free can please so many people in so many ways. Just reading these has been a delight, because I too love to sit and watch nature.

DoraMarr Mon 20-May-19 10:07:43

Aah sunsets. I have a wonderful view of the sunset from my balcony, and love to watch the setting sun reflected in the buildings in the city centre, especially when it lights up the gold tympanum on the roof of the library.
That first cup of tea in the morning, too.

mothertrucker52 Mon 20-May-19 22:38:17

Almost all these posts are about the joys of nature, we must do all we can to protect it

Nanah67 Mon 20-May-19 23:04:17

My grandsons pure delight at his first birthday party yesterday. His cousins thought it the best party ever..a few balloons and some bubbles. A magic moment and great memories. I wish I could bottle it all up.

Jaffacake2 Tue 21-May-19 07:16:27

Joy at seeing my little granddaughter enthralled in a field of daisies picking them smiling . Who needs expensive toys ?!

BradfordLass72 Tue 21-May-19 08:45:19

Oh so much!
The birds and roses on my deck; a Blackbird sings to me regularly, as does a Thrush.

I never tire of seeing my darling son walk through the door to hug me or my grandson, now a great boy of 10, who runs from the door to leap onto my knee and nearly strangle me with an embrace.

The soft grace of the water as I slip into it when I go swimming - the sheer joy of this feeling often makes me want to shout with happiness.
The glittery, bubbly silver of the water as the sun hits it when I'm swimming.

I've been in NZ 46 years and yet I still get a huge surge of gratitude, love and delight that I am privileged to live here.

Minor joys but no less delightful

Taking delivery of a new crop of audio books from the library - feels a bit like Christmas morning.

Cuddling down into a warm bed with one of these books.

A nice cup of tea with some newly-baked shortbread.

Thank you DoraMarr for reminding me that my life (and the lives of others) is filled with delightful little oases.

DanniRae Tue 21-May-19 09:03:34

What a joyful post BL72 - a delight in itself with the beautiful photos and heart felt words. Thank you x

ditzyme Tue 21-May-19 09:21:14

Wide Norfolk skies, sunsets, seeing the skeins of migrating geese which overwinter in this area, starting a new book, sitting and looking at the garden, clear night skies, being with my husband. But not in that order you understand!