Gransnet forums

Chat

That telling the time thing ?

(46 Posts)
MawBroonsback Mon 20-May-19 07:14:09

You know that thing where you set your alarm and wake up two minutes before it is due to go off?
Or you wake up and think “Hmm, must be about 4.30” - and it is!
This morning I woke up and thought it must be about half past six, lay there for a moment or two then rethought and decided maybe quarter past. Turned over to look at clock radio and it was - 6.16.

Why and how does that happen? ??

willa45 Mon 20-May-19 12:40:34

Happens to me all the time. DH will wonder about the time and I usually get it right to within five minutes give or take.

When I was young, I could even choose to wake up at a given time ....no alarm clock needed.

Something to with Circadian Rhythms perhaps? Not sure exactly how that works but perhaps someone here knows more about it.

lemongrove Mon 20-May-19 12:45:44

I got up to go to the loo at 3:33 this morning .....spooky!?

lemongrove Mon 20-May-19 12:47:40

Our alarm clock has a mind of it’s own, when we set it for an important reason, it rarely rings, but sometimes rings when neither of us have even set it at all.

busyb Mon 20-May-19 14:34:38

I thought it was only me that did that guessing game in the night. lol I am usually very accurate as well.

Sara65 Mon 20-May-19 15:00:30

I’ve never worn a watch, and I can usually pretty much estimate the time within about ten minutes

annodomini Mon 20-May-19 15:02:15

Lee Child's hero, Jack Reacher has that gift - always knows exactly what the time is - to the second.

Sara65 Mon 20-May-19 15:09:03

I’m not that good!!!

Mamissimo Mon 20-May-19 15:10:05

It works for kitchen timers too.....I go to the cooker about 3 seconds before Alexa beeps

JackyB Mon 20-May-19 15:35:58

Didn't we used to say that if you could always guess the right time you'd grow up to be an old maid?

As with others here, especially in the night, I can usually guess the time to within about 5 minutes. Same with the kitchen timer too. Don't know why I bother with it, I KNOW when those eggs are done!

Direne3 Mon 20-May-19 16:28:22

Don't think Jack Reacher was the first, remember reading about the skill in one of The Saint books.

DoraMarr Mon 20-May-19 16:44:53

I used to do that bumping my head on the pillow thing. It worked! Now I don’t have to get up at any particular time I always wake between 6.45 and 7, unless it’s Sunday, when I wake later. I suppose that’s years of work. When the children were small the cats used to sleep upstairs by a radiator in my son’s room. Just before it was time for the children to come home from school they would both get up, stretch, go downstairs and wait by the door. Then, of course, because they were cats, they would turn their backs on the children and ignore them.

callgirl1 Mon 20-May-19 17:24:25

I was going to mention Jack Reacher, but Ive been beaten to it...……….3 times!
Mia always knows when it`s 10 pm, her time for treats, whatever she`s doing, she stops at 10 pm and stares at me till I get up to give them to her.

Nanny41 Mon 20-May-19 17:59:05

Nothing about alarms, although yes I usually wake before the alarm gos off on the odd occasion I need the alarm. But the other night I suddenly woke up and the code for my card to fill up petrol in the car suddenly flashed before my eyes, oddly I was going to the garage the next day, and had written the code down only to see it was the wrong code, weird,but glad I was able to fill up the car.

sarahanew Mon 20-May-19 18:52:08

It's your internal clock

Iam64 Mon 20-May-19 18:57:39

Whitewave - what do you mean 'one dog is enough'? I've been know to have three, I don't mean mine and foster or visiting dogs, I mean my own, much loved, messy mucky hairy dogs.
Currently I'm down to two and I do believe I've reached a stage in my life when that is enough. Especially as youngest's dog often moves in, mysteriously and for periods that stretch from the overnight requested....
All my dogs have told the time. When the girls were due home on the school bus, our old rescue boy would go and sit at the middle of the stairs, the best vantage point for spotting the bus arriving. He'd pop himself there about 5 mins before they were due. He also mysteriously knew when Mr iam's care was 5 mins away, despite the fact his schedule wasn't to a time table like the school bus.
As for dogs knowing the time for walks, feeds etc - clockwork.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 19:40:35

iam64 ? one is enough for me to manage, he takes up all my time and rules the roost. Just making his bed as we speak. 5 minutes early tonight?. The next time he will organise us is 10pm, if I haven’t already shuffled off with a book. He gets up and sits squarely in front of us staring. Time for bed.

Yes it is astounding how they know.

Iam64 Mon 20-May-19 19:58:10

Whitewave, Ive spent the last hour refusing to allow the 12 month old, over excitable giddy spaniel to sit next to me on the sofa. She was (in fact is) still wet after being showered after galloping through muddy water on the tea time walk. Her huge shaggy companion was also muddy so needed a shower.
I've cracked, the still slightly damp spaniel is now snuggled up next to me, with a smug look on her face......

Pat1949 Mon 20-May-19 21:05:56

I always know the time and wake up just before the alarm. Another strange thing, I always arrive in places right on time. No matter how far the journey, how bad the traffic I'm always right on time.

Annaram1 Tue 21-May-19 10:41:41

Please let me know about Jack Reacher's other skills, as I don't know the books.
yes, I always know the time before I look at the clock.
And if I have the TV on while I am reading I suddenly hear it say the very word I am reading.

Iam64 Tue 21-May-19 20:01:50

Jack Reacher is, they say - the man men want to be and the man women want to be with
(wanders off, needing to lie down in a darkened room)