Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbag contents

(93 Posts)
annep1 Mon 27-May-19 17:56:45

Getting ready for an evening out. (Katherine Jenkins). Important items to put in handbag..voltarol, gaviscon and panadol. How times change!?

sharon103 Tue 28-May-19 01:04:13

.......and reading glasses especially for reading the use and sell by dates when shopping.

tanith Tue 28-May-19 06:04:42

I prefer to shove my purse and phone in my pocket and car/door keys in my hand and leave my bag at home. If I’m out for the day or not wearing something with pockets then phone, purse,glasses,foldable shopping bag, keys I hate carrying a bag unless I have to.

kittylester Tue 28-May-19 06:40:51

blush large purse, card wallet, diary, notebook, 2 folding shopping bags, throat sweets, bunch of keys, ds1's keys, paracetamol, olbas oil sinus thingy, pens, tissues, hanky.

Luckily it's quite a big bag!

BradfordLass72 Tue 28-May-19 08:01:36

What a fascinating thread.

I have only one handbag so it'll go with me at night in the unlikely event I am taken out after dark. During which time there will be porkers overhead.

It contains in the body of the bag: my purse with various cards for library, swimming pool, ATM, loyalty cards and, in a small window flap, photos of my gorgeous family.

2nd compartment: Tissues, notebook and black felt pen (can no longer see Biro).

In a zipped side pocket, a wee purse contains 2 safety pins, a card of 6 paracetamol, 4 activated charcoal capsules and a pair of scissors.
Thankfully, Tena and I are strangers. (In Maori, tena means 'there, near you'.

Two keys on a beautiful jewelled, heart-shaped key ring bought for me by my home-care lady, sit in the outer pocket.

Just recently I acquired a pocket-sized phial of Gucci 'Rush' so that's a new addition but not a regular inhabitant.

harrigran Tue 28-May-19 08:35:24

I have seen people go on holiday with smaller bags than my handbag.
I have a very deep one which is so dark inside that I have a little hanging light which illuminates the depths.
Purse, phone, glasses, tablets, shopping bags, wet wipes and a change bag for my medical needs. When I go to to my diabetes course it also doubles as a briefcase for paperwork.

oldgaijin Tue 28-May-19 08:41:14

Phone, large purse with cards etc., screwdriver (why?), chemo record book, dog treats, tissues, pliers (why?),
glucose tablets, multiple old receipts, fabric samples (just in case I see something I can't live without), dead banana. Lord Lucan could be lurking at the bottom!

Lovetopaint037 Tue 28-May-19 09:54:15

I have a cross over bag with outside zipped compartments for bus pass, keys, mobile phone. Inside purse, bursting with loyalty cards, coins notes and a separate inside zip part for credit card etc. Tissues, small bag with squashed in panty liners and spare pants. Also carry a small shopping type bag containing tissues, feminine wipes, hand wipes and a carrier bag.

Nannyxthree Tue 28-May-19 10:14:26

If it's an evening bag then just specs, and tissues. Everything else will be in OH's pockets. In the daytime there will be the same plus keys to house, spare OH car keys, my car keys (if I'm out without him), phone, tape measure, scissors, painkillers, purse, cards, brush with mirror which folds together, safety pins and probably a lot more I've forgotten about.

Jeanlizzie Tue 28-May-19 10:18:55

Keys, make up bag, doggy bag, mobile phone, purse , bank cards water pain killers note book and pen, and if there is a garden centre in the plans a wad of damp kitchen roll in a plastic bag x

annifrance Tue 28-May-19 10:21:00

Phone (rarely used), wallet, painkillers - same as Monica, but rarely used, passport, blood group card (rare group), tissues, measuring tape, reading glasses, small brush (never used!), small bottle of handcream, till receipts ad nauseum, Kindle (would have to be surgically removed), shopping lists, book with telephone numbers.

Plus for the menopause - no tampons!!!!

Humbertbear Tue 28-May-19 10:25:42

I use a small rucksack all the time. I rarely change bags to go out in the evening. My bag contains everything listed above. Probably the only necessity I don’t carry everyday is my passport. Of course a smart phone that acts as a camera , book and address book ( as well as payment device) does lessen the load). My experience is that people who don’t carry a well stocked handbag - wipes, plasters, hand sanitizer etc) simply rely on those like me who leave home prepares for every emergency

Bijou Tue 28-May-19 10:25:54

When I go shopping once a week my bag contains mobile phone, purse with coins and notes. Wallet with credit card, loyalty cards etc. Door keys. Tissues, wipes, Tena lady, spare knickers, pain killers, throat tablets, bottle of water and shopping list.

Theoddbird Tue 28-May-19 10:26:41

Oh my goodness. Your bags all sound so organised....does nobody have loads of old receipts? I have phone, keys, purse with cards in, sunglasses, a nàkd cocoa orange bar, two clean handkerchiefs (detest tissues) a napkin from coffee and cake yesterday, oh and the receipts...many...must dispose of them. Not got to the corners yet.

inishowen Tue 28-May-19 10:33:41

I like to keep my handbag as light as possible. I have store cards, purse, lip stick, tweezers, mirror, comb, pen and phone. Living in Northern Ireland I always have some euros in case we cross the border and need money for tolls or shopping.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 28-May-19 10:34:02

So glad to see that I am not the only one with a screwdriver in my bag.

GrandmaCornwall Tue 28-May-19 10:34:32

The lists of contents made me smile, my bag contains much of the same general content plus a toy car, a pair of scissors, disposable gloves and shoe covers, a hand fan, hearing aid batteries, note books, photos, butterscotch sweets and a list of my current medication, sticking plasters, antiseptic wipes. Two packets of tissuesMy bulging purse is another story, very little cash and no bank cards ( unless I plan on going shopping). Also worth a mention a tiny man figure made of wire holding a mobile phone ! made for me by my now grown up son. When I used to work I was once referred to as Mary Poppins as I could rustle up most things needed in an emergency.

GrandmaCornwall Tue 28-May-19 10:37:33

Also many elastic bands !?

KatyK Tue 28-May-19 10:50:48

I am totally in awe of women who go on a night out without handbags. Oh to have their confidence. I take my purse, bank cards, house keys, lipstick, compact, hairbrush, foundation (to redo my face if necessary as my skin is awful), phone, tissues, paracetamol, plasters, if wearing a dress, spare tights, pen, probably more that I can't think of. DH calls it my 'just in case bag'.

ToadsMum Tue 28-May-19 11:22:24

Anti bac hand cleanser .....

annep1 Tue 28-May-19 11:38:17

I was about to ask does no one carry a tape measure but I noticed two ladies do. I have a pretty ladies one with a fox picture.. always good to have one.

Millie22 Tue 28-May-19 12:01:19

My day handbag has my purse, car keys, carex wipes, phone, reading glasses for all that irrating small print, lip gloss and small make up stick, emergency tablets and the first scan picture of my dg.

Millie22 Tue 28-May-19 12:07:47

Oops gd not dg!

Lupatria Tue 28-May-19 12:08:27

among all the "stuff" in my handbag is a screwdriver (double ended), a measuring tape, mp3 player in a case, tiny speaker, two bottles of perfume, anti bac handwash, tissues, painkillers, sewing kit, hairbrush, comb, stylus pen to use with my mobile, digital camera, case for credit and store cards which isn't used, gloves, mirror in a case, wipes for glasses, four lipsticks, nail varnish, house keys, car keys, charger and cable for my mobile, purse containing all the cards which should go in the case plus driving licence, insurance documents and not much money!
might be other things which have sunk to the bottom and haven't seen the light of day for years.
hanging on the outside are various "dangly" things including a trolley coin and a "p" (blingy).
must have a sort out of old till receipts and shopping lists.

sodapop Tue 28-May-19 12:09:46

Have to ask Minimoon why the darning needle ?smile

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 12:37:26

Debit card, small pk of tissues, keys, phone. That's it.
Can only take a purse if taking my rucksack.
I have 3 purses on the go into which I put only necessary cards.
Receipts get sorted every few days.
See why in pics.