Gransnet forums

Chat

Vegan demonstrators storm Nando’s

(50 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 15:46:21

Oh dear.

“An Occupy Nando's spokeswoman said: 'We wanted to make Nando's customers aware of the way chickens are exploited for their flesh so they can make an informed choice if they wish to go on consuming violence.

'[We] urge Nando's to make their entire menu vegan.

'We are not asking for better conditions for these animals, we want total animal liberation and will keep showing up in places that sell this violence until that happens.'”

What do GNers think of their protest in a Kent restaurant at the weekend?

vissos Wed 29-May-19 16:10:59

I can only speak for myself but the reason I eat meat substitutes is because I loved the taste but not where it came from. Vegan 29 years.

Urmstongran Wed 29-May-19 12:31:09

We all know factory farming goes on - on an industrial scale too. What was it last year that the Indian (?) company 6 Sisters (or 7?) were infiltrated by activists with hidden cameras and exposed malpractice? I think the company got shut down for public health to oversee it for a couple of weeks.

They are huge suppliers of cheap chicken. If I remember correctly KFC encountered supply problems for a few days (plus other outlets).

We know about it.
We still buy chicken.
We feel guilty.

Those who can afford it buy locally sourced, organic/free range chicken.

But these operators couldn’t supply the domestic market as a whole and besides, good quality meat would force up prices - which some can’t or won’t pay - and businesses would go bust, workers out of jobs.

The cheap chicken now is pumped full of antibotics.
Yet we still buy it.

The USA don’t use the antibiotics as extensively - thereby they eat chlorine washed chicken.

Yet people who holiday in Florida and New York eat it.

As we eat ours.

Squaring this circle isn’t going to be easy.

Consumers have gotten used to cheap food.

Way forward anyone?

Callistemon Wed 29-May-19 11:20:10

When is the last time you saw a mother hen followed by her chicks? Probably in a children’s book.

At DD's - she also has some 'rescue hens'

NanaandGrampy Tue 28-May-19 21:31:02

I’m sure they weren’t crystal but then these protesters weren’t protesting about animal care were they ?

sodapop Tue 28-May-19 21:09:56

Our chickens are wandering freely in their large field and orchard. Unfortunately we can't bring ourselves to eat them. They will die of old age.

crystaltipps Tue 28-May-19 21:04:05

nanandgrampy I’m sure that was a pleasant sight, but I bet those chicks weren’t destined for Nando’s.

crystaltipps Tue 28-May-19 21:01:51

Yes phoenix I have read all the threads. I don’t doubt that individuals who keep livestock in a small scale way do care about their animals ( but I bet they don’t cut their throats themselves). However, Nando’s use chickens that have been industrially farmed and slaughtered in their millions and not in pleasant conditions. Their short lives are not happy ones. Perhaps people should be aware of that.

NanaandGrampy Tue 28-May-19 20:58:38

Actually crystaltip I saw a mother hen and three chicks wandering free range at Felbrigg Hall last week in their vegetable garden .

NanaandGrampy Tue 28-May-19 20:56:40

I’m going to stage a protest in our green grocers to stop people eating innocent veg !

How successful are protests like this at changing the way people choose to eat ? It would just get my back up I’m afraid.... pass the chicken !

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 20:55:45

crystaltipps, no one is saying that eating chickens or other animals is "doing them a favour".

Perhaps you might care to read some of the other posts on this thread, written by people who have actually kept livestock?

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 20:50:48

I suppose we don’t like to over think it all crystaltipps which is cowardly. But not everyone can afford high quality, organic meat. Yet they don’t wish to be vegan.

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 20:48:31

Ha love it Alima your p.s. was very witty!

So nice to enjoy the occasional chuckle (even when the thread is about a serious topic). A sense of humour is a good thing!

Septimia thank you for explaining this.

crystaltipps Tue 28-May-19 20:45:51

People who think they are doing chickens and other animals a favour by eating them need to think again. Hats off to the protesters. If you have seen pictures of industrial chicken farms and how they are slaughtered and processed you probably wouldn’t eat them either. When is the last time you saw a mother hen followed by her chicks? Probably in a children’s book.

Septimia Tue 28-May-19 20:36:01

Like phoenix, I've kept sheep and always considered that animal welfare was paramount. I don't mind people being vegetarian or vegan, it's up to them, and I eat quite a few vegetarian meals.

Three points, though. If they object to meat-eating, why is so much veggie and even vegan food pseudo-meat (e.g. veggie sausages)? Secondly, I feel that much of the effort put into objecting to meat-eating would be better used fighting for better animal welfare. Finally, no meat, milk products or eggs means no animals as they certainly won't be worth keeping.

Alima Tue 28-May-19 20:28:30

PS: Apologies for iffy punctuation. Might as well make that a permanent disclaimer.

Alima Tue 28-May-19 20:26:14

They have the right to peacefully protest. Why isn’t vegan considered a bad way to go? Surely such a diet produces more wind (methane) which isn’t good for the environment. Cows generally get the blame for releasing too much gas. If the protesters were concerned about animal welfare have they also/are the going to protest at the halal method of slaughter? (I have never been into a Nando’s, only heard of their sauce today. I have added some to my supermarket delivery to try your chicken recipe Urm.

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 20:09:20

Handing out leaflets outside is one thing, going into restaurants and haranguing customers is another.
No matter how old/young you are.

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 20:07:27

They were not children for heavens sake, their spokesperson is 34.

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 20:03:10

No, I think you’re right rockgran and phoenix and not straying off topic at all. I think cruelty to animals is what turns many teenagers veggie to start with.

It would be good if animal welfare were paramount even at the expense of cheap food but you make a very fair and balanced point phoenix

No easy answers are there?

Callistemon Tue 28-May-19 19:58:52

I think KatyK has summed it up succinctly.

Vegans in Australia have released hens and other animals which were being well cared for on free range farms - only for the poor hens etc to be killed by dingoes, snakes and other wildlife - not because they dingoes wanted to eat them as many were left mutilated.
Is that kindness and compassion towards animals?

Daisymae Tue 28-May-19 19:44:50

Good for them. The world is changing and people are becoming more aware of the real cost of cheap meat.

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 19:42:48

rockgran as someone who used to keep a small flock of sheep (along with chickens, ducks and bantams) I am very aware of and consider animal welfare, and make my meat purchases with that in mind.

Sadly however, some people are not in a position to be able to be so fussy. I know this, because a couple of years ago I was one of them. Being able to afford a tray of chicken thighs took precedence over there provenance, I'm sad to say.

However, I think we may be straying from the subject of people demonstrating in Nandos.

eazybee Tue 28-May-19 19:36:15

Protesting= forcing your opinions on people?
Yes, exactly that. Forcing being the operative word.

A small group of passionate sanctimonious young people?

DameJudyClench Tue 28-May-19 19:28:45

I think the milkshake's safe.

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 19:24:45

No "over egging" for the vegans, maryeliza, can't think what phrase might be applied though.