Gransnet forums

Chat

Vegan demonstrators storm Nando’s

(49 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 15:46:21

Oh dear.

“An Occupy Nando's spokeswoman said: 'We wanted to make Nando's customers aware of the way chickens are exploited for their flesh so they can make an informed choice if they wish to go on consuming violence.

'[We] urge Nando's to make their entire menu vegan.

'We are not asking for better conditions for these animals, we want total animal liberation and will keep showing up in places that sell this violence until that happens.'”

What do GNers think of their protest in a Kent restaurant at the weekend?

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 15:51:41

I think they should have been rounded up, then turned into tasty kebabs?
Seriously though, what self rightous clots they are...their ideas will only alienate people out enjoying a meal.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 15:52:57

www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/animal-rights-activists-stage-protest-at-nandos-205394/

Here’s a link. It all depends on how the protest was conducted and if there were any violence. The police were called, there were no arrests. As a general rule, peaceful even if disruptive protests are perfectly legal and should be. Note I said ‘as a general rule’.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 15:54:44

Self righteous clots = young people who believe passionately in the welfare of animals. Nice

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 16:03:42

I can understand their passion.

But wouldn’t it have serious repercussions for the economy?

It’s not practical in my opinion.

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 16:11:19

....and not kind to ruin other people’s lunch by your antics.

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 16:13:32

Of course it isn’t practical, but then neither are they, they could hardly expect restaurants and cafes to stop selling chicken on the menu otherwise.

Anja Tue 28-May-19 16:34:31

Yes, well....if people want to eat chicken reared industrially just go to any fast food outlet.

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 16:36:56

If everyone became vegan, what would happen to chickens?

And what do they mean "total animal liberation"? I would be interested to hear their arguments on that issue.

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 16:38:58

Me too phoenix!

It seems a bizarre statement to make.

sodapop Tue 28-May-19 16:41:56

That's true Anja . People have the right to protest of course, think they would be better educating others about animal welfare in learning centres etc. This way they just alienate the public.

aggie Tue 28-May-19 16:52:10

total animal liberation would lead to no farm animals , they couldn't survive in the "wild" Anyway there would be no point in cute lambs gambolling about or hens pecking in the fields , as for cows ...... no one wanting milk or cheese , we could end up with walking skeletons

KatyK Tue 28-May-19 16:53:37

Another lot who think they can force their opinions on the rest of us.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 17:34:24

Protesting= forcing your opinions on people? A small group of passionate young people?

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 17:37:01

Of herds of cows and sheep, wandering freely up the M5..............

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 17:53:01

Yes, and full of diseases and general illness.

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 18:02:03

maryeliza nothing wrong with passionate views, as long as you have something approaching facts (or at least decent research) to back up those views.

So what would the results of "all animal liberation" be, and how would it be acheived?

(I realise that those 2 points are in the wrong order, by the way.)

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 18:05:43

Also, would they have better spent their time holding their protest at the UK HQ of Nandos, rather than invading the personal space of people quietly going about their business, and enjoying a meal in the company of friends and family?

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 18:07:31

I don’t really expect the issue to have been thought through like that really by youngsters - I’m not a vegetarian at all but I do understand that passion about animal welfare is a cause very often taken up by younger people and I just think it’s great they care enough to protest like this when you think what else they might be getting up to. There’s something very dispiriting I find when older people just start criticising the young for not knowing enough ie for being young.

EllanVannin Tue 28-May-19 18:09:52

Pity these protesters hadn't got anything better to do !
I agree with you KatyK.

KatyK Tue 28-May-19 18:13:17

I didn't criticise the young. I didn't know they were young. The OP didn't say young.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 18:21:13

Maybe going to your local Nando’s because it was more accessible than HQ - wherever that is? I think some of you are rather over egging the protest

rockgran Tue 28-May-19 19:14:00

As a vegetarian I do feel sorry for the chickens. I don't expect everyone to become vegetarian but I wish people would pay a bit more and eat meat ( and less of it) from animals that have been reared and killed in happier circumstances.

DameJudyClench Tue 28-May-19 19:16:39

I'm surprised they had the strength... hmm

phoenix Tue 28-May-19 19:24:45

No "over egging" for the vegans, maryeliza, can't think what phrase might be applied though.