Gransnet forums

Chat

My hidden skill!!!

(116 Posts)
kittylester Wed 29-May-19 16:42:54

Although I love them, I never ever cook kippers at home due to the smell and DH's attitude to the smell grin

When we are staying in a(n) hotel, as we are currently, I always take the opportunity to indulge.

I was most surprised this morning when the woman on the next table came over and congratulated me on the really good job I had made of de-boning this morning's kipper.

I knew there must be something I would be good at.

Do you have a hidden skill.

Nanny41 Thu 30-May-19 12:24:11

A hidden talent came to light last year when I wrote a book and had it published, not bad at 77.

pen50 Thu 30-May-19 12:40:08

I can touch the end of my nose with the tip of my tongue.

TheMaggiejane1 Thu 30-May-19 13:12:02

I can do that as well Craftycat but only with my left foot. I haven’t found a use for it yet though, have you?

I can also write fairly legibly holding a pen between my toes but only with my right foot. I sincerely hope I never have to make use of that particular skill!

Nannarose Thu 30-May-19 13:13:26

I join those who are continually asked for advice / directions (my favourite: 'You look like a woman who knows where the toilets are')!
It's 'skill cousin'- that people tell me all sorts of information without me trying to elicit any. This was useful at work - I'm now trying unsuccessfully to give it up.
These however do mean that I don't have the skill that arrives at middle age for many women - that of being invisible!

Janiepops Thu 30-May-19 13:23:00

I can always find four leaved clovers ? found 5 last week!

Tweedle24 Thu 30-May-19 13:25:38

I can touch the tip of my nose with my tongue and roll said tongue into a tube.

fifeywifey Thu 30-May-19 13:29:20

I do a mean reverse park. I was once trying to find a parking space on a busy street and there were several workies in a white van looking on with interest when I started to execute my reverse park. On completion of a textbook reverse park they applauded! If there's ever a Nobel reverse park prize I'll definitely be shortlisted.hmm

BrandyButter Thu 30-May-19 13:38:04

I can get jam/honey/chocolate spread out of a jar weeks after other people tell me 'it's empty' grin

Tweedle24 Thu 30-May-19 13:40:14

I can touch the tip of my nose with my tongue and roll said tongue into a tube.

Grammaretto Thu 30-May-19 13:46:01

I have NEVER found a 4 leaf clover. Do they really exist Janiepops?
I have looked for them.

jenni123 Thu 30-May-19 14:05:07

Not sure it is hidden but I write poetry

PamGeo Thu 30-May-19 14:07:31

This has cheered me up, just what I needed Kittylester, I too can touch my nose with my tongue Tweedle24 and apparently our rolling of the tongue is genetic.

I do have a similar talent as Nannarose and others for being an information , lost people point but I seem to excel at attracting weird and wonderful people that others have an amazing talent for spotting a thousand yards away so they can dodge them. .... I'm rubbish at cutting meat from a chicken or finding 4 leaf clovers

mancgirl Thu 30-May-19 14:36:04

I can do Pitman's shorthand which my adult children knew nothing about. When I showed them, they said it was like hieroglyphics and I was making it up!

PamGeo Thu 30-May-19 14:39:25

ooh I'd forgotten Pitman's ! .... it's probably too well buried for resuscitation so I'd best leave it to you mancgirl

grandtanteJE65 Thu 30-May-19 14:48:42

My better half is one of those who can stop a queue at a cash desk just by joining it.

I can smell rain coming and feel it as the hairs on my arms stand up so I get the washing in before it starts, (usually).

My mother could smell snow in the offing, but I can't.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 30-May-19 14:57:20

I can waggle my ears. I would love to be able to raise one eyebrow, but so far no success.

Tweedle24 Thu 30-May-19 15:01:57

Can’t do Pittman’s but can do Greggs

Coconut Thu 30-May-19 15:30:32

I can still stand on my head aged 67 ! Grandkids think it’s hilarious !

nipsmum Thu 30-May-19 15:31:52

Apparently, according to my 10 year old grand daughter, I make the best lunches. I never knew that.!!!

mancgirl Thu 30-May-19 15:35:06

Pamgeo I can remember a lot of it but now have no speed at all. Wouldn't like to be be taking dictation!

Evie64 Thu 30-May-19 15:36:14

I make the best fried eggs apparently. Cooked to perfection with no snotty bits, no crunchy bits underside and yolk still nice and runny. Knew I was good for something. wink

gillybob Thu 30-May-19 15:41:27

Apparently I am the queen of stain removal. I do wish it had stayed a hidden talent and not so many family members knew about it .

Rosina Thu 30-May-19 15:53:02

I retain amazingly useless facts, but forget pin numbers and passwords, people's names, messages, and anything important.
I can also spot the less than honest at fifty yards.

Oldandverygrey Thu 30-May-19 16:02:46

I can use Greggs and Pitmans shorthand, but my biggest feat is I can still do a handstand!

Nonnie Thu 30-May-19 16:10:35

The things some of you 'can still do' are things I never could do!