Gransnet forums

Chat

Home sweet home!

(59 Posts)
kittylester Thu 30-May-19 19:10:51

We have just been away for 4 nights in a lovely hotel. We have eaten great foid food, had champagne cocktails, had the beds made, the room cleaned, been on lovely walks, seen beautiful scenery and the staff have been brilliant.

We got home about 4pm, and its wonderful!

Anyone else feel the same?

Parsley3 Tue 04-Jun-19 09:48:17

I feel the same. In fact, when I walk through my door after a lovely break away my first words are “ Ah, home sweet house.” ?

Margsus Tue 04-Jun-19 09:43:11

We’re coming to the end of our “bucket list” holiday and have spent the past two weeks cruising round the Far East. I’m writing this whilst sitting in our hotel room in Shanghai, and we were just saying that we can’t wait to get home to our little house and our family tomorrow. There really is no place like home!

Witzend Tue 04-Jun-19 08:40:04

Lilyflower, I know a few like that - don't envy them in the least, especially when the holidays include airports and long flights! (Though I did feel differently when rather younger, with itchy feet that were fortunate to see quite a lot of the world then).

This week we have some far flung relatives of dh from across the pond coming to stay. The elder must be pushing 90 if not there already, and she never seems to stop - her Christmas Round Robin letters are full of one holiday after the other - mostly long-haul, too.

Though from a former visit I do get the impression that she's one of those (very un-restful!) people who have to be constantly on the move, going away, going out, doing something away from the house, all the time.

Later this week I'm hoping that dh will do most of the taking hither and thither - and largely leave me in P and Q at home!

moorlikeit Sun 02-Jun-19 13:00:48

CanOnlyTry

Thank you for your kind wishes. I hope that your new family member helps you to settle in. Dog walking, I believe, helps folk to start up conversations which could lead to new local friendships. I certainly hope that it works for you.
Good luck.

POGS Sat 01-Jun-19 11:18:34

I too love coming up to our village and seeing our home after a holiday.

A real home bird me the older I get plus travelling with health issues has started to make me a tad anxious.

Usually after about 10 days away I start to get to the ' been there, done that' syndrome and whilst we have had some cracking holidays I still find myself thinking about ' home'.

Lilyflower Sat 01-Jun-19 06:30:45

The older I get the less I like to leave my home. I know may pensioners who spend their large pensions going on cruises and flying around the world and I do not envy them one bit. I wouldn’t do it even if I could afford it.

My house is lovely and just how I want it. The garden is a picture at the moment and my own bed is the most comfortable in the world.

Apricity Sat 01-Jun-19 00:35:51

Like so many others I love to go away but every time we return home I look around, open blinds and windows and let the fresh air and light in, go outside and say hello to the garden and think what lucky people live here.

Sara65 Fri 31-May-19 21:50:56

A couple of years ago, we decided to go away for Christmas, we booked a lovely cottage in Yorkshire, and armed with everything you could possibly want, or need for a happy Christmas we set out the day before Christmas Eve, we spent Christmas Eve in a quaint seaside town, wandering about and shopping, when we got back to the cottage, I said I wanted to go home, it didn’t feel right, so on Christmas morning we got up at about 5.00, and drove all the way home, it was lovely!

knspol Fri 31-May-19 20:53:50

Used to love all holidays and never wanted to go home but now, after many years living abroad mostly in very plush rented accommodation I just want to stay at home in my own house. I think it's maybe an age or perhaps just wanting my own bits and bobs around but I actually dread hols now and can't wait to get back home. DH on the other hand wants to be away all the time!

BusterTank Fri 31-May-19 19:35:21

There no place like home , there nothing like a break to remind you .

CanOnlyTry Fri 31-May-19 19:17:12

morelikeit
Ditto! My DH is perfectly content too!
But I'm glad to hear you're (even a little) nearer to your family, means such a lot. I guess it'll take time. We've just adopted a golden retriever in the hope (for me!) that it'll make the place feel like home ... drastic perhaps but we'll see. Like yourself (?) I've been traumatised by the move. But I really do wish you all the very best in the sincere hope that eventually we both adjust and accept our new 'normality' X

overthehill Fri 31-May-19 19:14:51

I feel similar after having visitors. Again, lovely to see them but also
lovely when they leave and you can put your feet up have tea and possibly watch rubbish on the TV.

GranEd Fri 31-May-19 18:53:43

Saggi ?

Fennel Fri 31-May-19 17:39:01

After spending nearly a year "homeless", virtually sofa surfing when we came back from France, I never want to leave our new little home again.
Husband persuaded me to go away over Easter, and at New Year we visited all our UK families. But I'd much rather they came to us.
Trouble is, we haven't got much room now.

Doodle Fri 31-May-19 16:58:33

I love going on holiday and I love coming home too. The only bits I don’t like are the packing to go and the unpacking and washing to do when I get back. ?

kittylester Fri 31-May-19 16:33:36

saggi, I realised as I posted that some people will wish they could escape for a few days. I'm sorry if I upset you or anyone else.

Nonnie Fri 31-May-19 16:28:51

Glad I'm not alone, I love my holidays but not so keen on coming home to the weeds and the washing! I live in a great place with wonderful neighbours and also family quite close but am always thinking about where to go for our next holiday. I love both.

moorlikeit Fri 31-May-19 15:55:43

CanOnlyTry
Thanks for your sympathetic response. I'm sorry to hear that you are in the same boat.
I just wasn't ready to move and it was quite a trauma. The plus side is that it's warmer down south and we see our AC (and now our first DGD) far more frequently even though we still don't live that close to them. BUT it still doesn't feel like home and that applies to the house and location. My DH, however, has settled in just fine so I'm the fussy one!

CanOnlyTry Fri 31-May-19 14:54:50

moorlikeit I just want to say I'm very sorry to hear this - you've explained exactly what I'm going through! We too left our lovely home of 36yrs to downsize and relocate and I just can't feel the same about our new place, I feel very 'homesick' and deeply regret moving

EllanVannin Fri 31-May-19 13:35:52

Juliet27 that's how I felt when my family emigrated. After having flown 5 times over the years, at a month to 3 months at a time my last visit as I'd got older wasn't the same and I cut short my 3 months and felt I'd had enough as I faced the gruelling trip back ( business class for comfort ) I'd become homesick ! How daft was that ?
Anyway it's D and SiL's time to visit here in less than 2 weeks time and as they are creeping up to their 60's they'll appreciate how I'd felt I'm sure.

Juliet27 Fri 31-May-19 12:43:27

Can't say I'm looking forward to the airport queues either!

Saggi flowers

Juliet27 Fri 31-May-19 12:37:09

We'll be away for a month from mid July to visit both our children and grandchildren who live in Australia. I'm already having trouble deciding what clothing to take and I know I shall miss and worry about the dog for all that time (and the canary!!) As much as I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the family, I know it will be a relief to get back home. If only they hadn't emigrated!!

Auntieflo Fri 31-May-19 12:29:50

Saggi flowers

Saggi Fri 31-May-19 12:22:30

Haven’t been out of my home town for twelve years...my husband is incapacitated these 23 years ..and won’t leave the house except for hospital...won’t have carers only me. No holidays , no fun , no nowt....and I’m doing such a good job according to his doctors that I could have at least another decade to ‘enjoy’...so I live vicariously on other people’s stories of days out and holidays. Keep them coming please.

inishowen Fri 31-May-19 12:04:16

I enjoy my holidays but the day before we're due home I start longing for my own house. I miss getting up really early and coming downstairs for a cup of tea and toast. I miss my local shops too. Home is where the heart is.