Gransnet forums

Chat

Home sweet home!

(58 Posts)
kittylester Thu 30-May-19 19:10:51

We have just been away for 4 nights in a lovely hotel. We have eaten great foid food, had champagne cocktails, had the beds made, the room cleaned, been on lovely walks, seen beautiful scenery and the staff have been brilliant.

We got home about 4pm, and its wonderful!

Anyone else feel the same?

Allegretto Thu 30-May-19 19:12:59

I totally agree. It’s lovely to go away and lovely to return home.

J52 Thu 30-May-19 19:15:51

I always think you’ve had a good holiday when you’re glad to be home.
A kind of reverse psychology!

Alima Thu 30-May-19 19:17:25

Snap kitty, we arrived home yesterday after 4 nights at an hotel in Norfolk. Best think there, someone else doing the cooking. Best thing about getting home, seeing how the garden has sprung to life. Closely followed by my own bed. Downside, back to bloomin’ cooking!

Sara65 Thu 30-May-19 19:17:46

I love my home, can’t think of a better place to be!

rockgran Thu 30-May-19 19:46:28

I always count the nights until I can come home. I get quite homesick.

NanKate Thu 30-May-19 19:48:51

My home is my ? castle and I look fwd to returning on Saturday after 7 days of GP duties.

Like my mum I want to leave my home on my last day on earth.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-May-19 19:48:52

Ditto Kitty just got back from Cyprus last night with D, GC and Mr.Gravy. We had a fabulous family holiday, but I love my home of 31 years, collapsed on sofa with a glass of wine watched News at 10 and thought......this is the life????

Slowcookervegan Thu 30-May-19 19:51:23

There's no place like home. There's no bed like your own.
I like going away and LOVE coming home.

grannyqueenie Thu 30-May-19 19:59:01

Absolutely get that feeling. We’re travelling on Sunday to lovely friends 70th, then moving on for a few days on the Dorset Coast and stopping off with some other good friends on the return north. All with folks we love and we will enjoy them I’m sure but I find myself already anticipating the delight of coming home - there’s no place like it! grin

SalsaQueen Thu 30-May-19 21:07:15

I agree. No matter how good a hotel has been, or how lovely the holiday was, I love getting into my own bed again.

Shirleyw Thu 30-May-19 21:11:32

Yes, its lovely going way but equally as good coming home to your own bed...

Auntieflo Thu 30-May-19 21:16:39

Isn’t it lovely that we all feel the same, and love being home?

jura2 Thu 30-May-19 21:18:59

absolutely

GranEd Thu 30-May-19 22:10:35

Sorry but I totally disagree with you all ?.

I love my holidays so much and am always on a real downer at having to come home. It usually takes at least a week to get back into routine!!

By the way I do have a very nice home in a lovely part of the country ?? .Just prefer holidays!

dragonfly46 Thu 30-May-19 22:16:33

I love coming home too. It is fun to go away but so much more comfortable at home!

crazyH Thu 30-May-19 22:28:55

I once was chatting to a lady at work, who never went on holiday. She told me that every year her husband went away for a week with the 'boys'(friends). That was her holiday ?

callgirl1 Thu 30-May-19 22:30:52

I don`t go on holiday now, sadly, but I never wanted to come back home.

lemongrove Thu 30-May-19 22:39:27

Yes kitty we had a similar little break two weeks ago.
Great, but also great to be back home again.

Ailsa43 Fri 31-May-19 00:37:34

GranEd I completely agree, I love being away and really don't want to come back home! We're going abroad for a month in a couple of weeks time, I know I won't want to come home!

GranEd Fri 31-May-19 07:58:19

callgirl1 ?

Ailsa43 Have a lovely holiday! ? Must confess to being a tad envious as we have nothing planned for the summer. We have just had a lovely long weekend away though. ?

Mapleleaf Fri 31-May-19 10:13:05

I love coming home to my own bed, and the feeling when walking through the front door is great. It doesn't take long for the routine to kick in again, though, and that's when I sometimes wish I was still away as I do enjoy going away and would like the holiday to go on a bit longer! Still, there's always the planning for the next holiday to look forward to. ?

ditzyme Fri 31-May-19 10:17:57

I always looked forward to going away - we always went to self-catering cottages - the packing of the car, the picnic lunch to have on the way choosing which books to take and so on. And whilst I always enjoyed exploring somewhere new, by the penultimate day, I couldn't wait to get home. I was so happy to be back here, and as my husband felt the same, we decided decades ago, to just stay home where our hearts are. We have a lovely old house, a beautiful productive garden,live between country and coast, with woodlands and beaches only minutes away by car. So why go away? Couldn't think of a single reason why.

Davida1968 Fri 31-May-19 10:27:47

Yes! The older I get, the more I appreciate being in my own, comfy, home.

Sheilasue Fri 31-May-19 10:33:53

Always look forward to coming home after a lovely holiday.