Gransnet forums

Chat

How old is too old?

(139 Posts)
Jeanlizzie Fri 31-May-19 10:16:04

I live in a very rural area , my husband drives, but i don't, which was never a problem due to a good bus service
Since the beginning of the year we have no buses at all ( thanks council) and I'm dependant on my husband if i want to leave the house
I'm seriously considering to learn to drive but my daughter keeps telling me im too old (I'm mid 50s)
What do you lovely grans think ?

jools66 Sat 01-Jun-19 20:54:49

My husband is a driving instructor, he has had several older pupils recently and although some of them have taken a little longer to learn all have passed their test. You might find it easier to learn to drive an automatic car but your husband should be able to help by giving you some practise in his car once you get the ok from your instructor. Go for it, the worst that can happen is that you decide it isn't for you.

Aepgirl Sat 01-Jun-19 21:01:10

Of course you are not too old, and you never know when/if your husband may not be able to drive. Go for it.

GrannyLondon Sun 02-Jun-19 00:53:55

Go for it. A couple of my friends passed their tests in their 60’s.
Don’t give up if you don’t pass the first or second time loads of people don’t.
Good luck.
Oh & if you don’t make progress with a driving instructor, find another one.

maryhoffman37 Sun 02-Jun-19 08:48:23

I did not learn to drive till I was fifty. Hardest thing I've ever done and it took five goes to pass the test! So glad I did it, though. Go for it.

Tillybelle Sun 02-Jun-19 12:00:55

Jeanlizzie. You are NOT too old! I suggest you start your lessons and don't push yourself but just enjoy learning.

If someone says "You need a lesson for every year of your life." Just ignore them. They said it to me when I was 28/9 and learning. By some mistake when I applied for the test I got a cancellation after I had had only 9 lessons. The test was not as expensive as now so I thought I'd take it as a "practice run". I passed and the lady congratulated me on a safe drive!! Women make better drivers. The Police will tell you. They like their female Cops to drive!

Good luck and enjoy yourself!! [flowers}

Please let us know how things go!

Tillybelle Sun 02-Jun-19 12:03:51

GrannyLondon. That is such good advice! The instructor is so important so don't be afraid to try different ones till you get the one you like! I like too the people who say if you fail the test first time just use it for experience and keep doing it till you pass! maryhoffman37. You are a gem! Well done!

Jaxie Sun 02-Jun-19 12:07:52

I learned to drive in my late thirties because I wanted to attend university and a car was the only way I was going to get there: that was the compelling motivation or I would have given up as I had no spacial awareness and my driving instructor ( a granny) said I was one of the most inept people she had ever taught. I knew I had to persevere and passed the test on the second attempt. Now, at the age of 75 I regularly drive from the south coast to Leeds on the M5 etc and am so glad I didn't let nerves and lack of confidence get the better of me. Still useless at reversing and parking but manage to survive without upsetting other drivers too much. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Marian1412 Sun 02-Jun-19 15:06:46

Of course you should go for it. At the age of 62 I had to learn to drive an adapted car with hands only controls. Initially I was resistant and anxious but am so glad I persevered. I cherish my independence.
As Sunlover advises learn in an automatic.

Pat1949 Sun 02-Jun-19 15:22:18

I agree, Tillybelle, it is nonsense that you need a lesson for every year of your life. I was 43, had 12 lessons and passed first time. Personally, I would stick to a professional instructor. No driving with a relation, friend or anyone else who is not a driving instructor, I had a one hour 'lesson' with my husband when I was 20 which put me off learning for the next 23 years and nearly ended up in divorce. We actually did get over it and have remained married for 52 years. ??

Annaram1 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:13:05

Go for it/ But get an automatic car, its so much easier. You will never regret learning to drive. I have learnt many things in my life and driving is the one which I treasured the most,

Bordersgirl57 Wed 19-Jun-19 17:07:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silverlining48 Wed 19-Jun-19 19:32:04

My friend was the same age as you when she started learning to drive, she passed first time after about 12 lessons.
Definitely go fir it and yes, automatic cars are really good to drive. Good luck.

luluaugust Wed 19-Jun-19 19:34:14

Go for it, good luck