Gransnet forums

Chat

Flights booked

(46 Posts)
Menopaws Fri 31-May-19 15:23:46

Just booked a flight to see my girlie in oz in November for three weeks, her baby will be eight weeks old and we will Xmas a week early before I leave. So excited. Going on the direct flight to Perth but able to book an exit row window seat on way out so not stuck which is brilliant. There's a lot of you out there who will know how I feel!

Coconut Sat 01-Jun-19 09:59:44

You will love every minute ... I’ve just had a month away, a dream holiday .... flew to Sydney then cruised to NZ then up to French Polynesia ... Bora Bora and Tahiti ???☀️ Then on to Hawaii for 3 days .... truly amazing .

Skinnylizzie Sat 01-Jun-19 10:06:43

Enjoy! Just in the airport at Bali waiting to return home from seeing my DGC - hadn’t seen them for 18 months ?

Kim19 Sat 01-Jun-19 10:11:50

Terrific! Thanks for sharing. Your obvious joy is contagious and I hope to retain this feel good factor all day. Yippee! Well done you!

Bamm Sat 01-Jun-19 10:24:53

I too know how you feel. It will be wonderful for you. I am in the USA now visiting my grandchildren, I haven't seen them for two years. We usually see each other every year, this has been the longest time.

Apricity Sat 01-Jun-19 11:07:55

Welcome to Oz Menopaws, do hope you have a wonderful stay with your family. It is a long flight, no getting around that especially as we all get older. Make sure you have a good brisk walk around whatever airports you stop at to get the blood circulating and other than that just sit back, watch a million movies (yawn, yawn) and go with the flow. Enjoy the special family time together, it's so precious and the little ones grow up so quickly.

PS. I am in the opposite situation living in Oz with son and family in Scandinavia. It's hard but it is what it is.

Suzan05 Sat 01-Jun-19 11:25:23

Hi Menopaws, I hope you have a wonderful time meeting your new grandchild.
We have flown to Perth twice to see my daughter and her partner who is a grain farmer. First flights were with Emerates in 2014. Second time, September 2019 with Qantas direct from Heathrow to Perth. We will definitely be flying direct again. We flew standard class but there is plenty of leg room, the food was great and they keep you very well hydrated throughout the flight. We were very well looked after. Enjoy!

DameJudyClench Sat 01-Jun-19 11:36:14

I'm sitting here smiling at your post. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time smile

4allweknow Sat 01-Jun-19 11:38:29

The trip, your DD and your DGC you have the triple whammy! I can feel you smiling non stop!

adaunas Sat 01-Jun-19 11:56:46

Have a wonderful time. No wonder you’re excited. Just a thought though, I don’t know which airway you’re flying with but when we booked an exit row seat, it turned out to be an emergency exit, and that meant all hand luggage had to be in lockers for take off and landing. My DH has to sit by the window in case I wasn’t strong enough to use the exit door handle (cheek!).

Juicylucy Sat 01-Jun-19 14:03:08

Oh how lovely for you. I’ve spent November and December with my DD in Oz it’s amazing. I always book seat with extra leg room and no one in front of me.Ive met so many different people on my flights on my last time I was chatting to guy who helped create uber. Have fantastic time with your family.

Patticake123 Sat 01-Jun-19 14:09:29

Brilliant, my son isn’t quite so far away as Australia but still a long flight away. I can feel your excitement. Bon voyage!

PamelaJ1 Sat 01-Jun-19 14:13:55

Hm999. I always wear a pair of old knickers and throw them away at the first stop if I’m not doing a stopover anywhere.?

futuregran1 Sat 01-Jun-19 15:47:17

How wonderful.
Nothing like a new grandchild to give you a new lease of life. Enjoy your holiday and come back safely.

Mauriherb Sat 01-Jun-19 17:23:24

How wonderful for you ! I bet you'll be counting the weeks

Daisyboots Sat 01-Jun-19 18:38:14

How wonderful for you Menopaws and how lovely to be able to see your new grandchild as soon as he or she is born. Turn the clocks back to 1968 and I was the pregnant daughter looking forward to the arrival of my Mum in November when my baby was due to be born. Only trouble was my due date was the day she would be arriving. In those days it was 5 days in hospital after the birth. So 7th November I took a dose of castor oil in orange juice with the blessing of my midwife. My son was born on the 8th and he had long finger nails and peeling skin as if he had been too long inside anyway. So 19th November we were all at Adelaide airport to meet my Mum when she arrived. She stayed for 6 weeks. Wonderful days.

Granless Sat 01-Jun-19 18:41:48

PamelaJ1 I take it you have a second pair with you. grin

cas58 Sat 01-Jun-19 19:15:31

Such good time ahead!

B9exchange Sun 02-Jun-19 00:18:59

So thrilled for you, you will have a brilliant trip, and seeing a very new Granchild and being able to spend an early Christmas with them all will make it so special. Tell us all about it when you get back!

maddy629 Sun 02-Jun-19 06:51:19

Have a wonderful time, I've never been to Oz but I did spend two months in NZ and loved it, I didn't want to come home. Don't worry about the long flight, it will pass quickly.

Phoebes Sun 02-Jun-19 11:00:09

We are flying to New York at the end of July as daughter’s baby is due on the 16th. Looking forward to seeing them (and husband and little dogs), of course, but have had a rotten year health wise and wondering if I can cope with it all. New York isn’t exactly a relaxing place and the air pollution isn’t good for someone with asthma and breathing problems. This is my first grandchild, but I have two step-grandchildren. My travel insurance is good and covers me for asthma-related problems, but I’m still worried as I have been sick, on and off, ever since November 2018 since I picked up a vicious chest infection which wouldn’t go away. I have had my asthma review which was on a good day so it was OK, but today I’m having a bad day, not helped by the high pollen count and the fact that we are surrounded by rape-fields, which I’m allergic to. Our daughter said that, instead of giving them some money, to help out with moving from their tiny flat to a bigger house, we should use it to fly over and see them more often, but I’m 76 and my husband is 71 and I’m not sure how long I can do it for. We are really looking forward to this dear little baby and would love to be closer so that we could help out, but I think that we will be seeing him/her only on Skype once this trip is over. They both have brilliant jobs in the US and are very happy there, so I think that the prospect of them coming back here to live is slim. My daughter has just become an American citizen. I feel so sad, as I know we won’t want to leave the baby and not see it again in the flesh for ages.