Gransnet forums

Chat

Need to vent.

(60 Posts)
Bopeep14 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:14:10

Husband is on annual leave this week, my children organise there annual leave around him so i have no one to look after while he is at home.
We agreed we would get on with some home improvements this week while he is off.
So far we have done absolutely nothing, he stays up late every night until 3am rarely gets up until lunch time.
He does have a stressful job and I realise he needs downtime but we agreed and he promised he would at least start the jobs if not finish them.
We have been living with no wallpaper in the hallway for 5 years I got my hopes up it would get done, silly me.
We got invited to go away with friends in a caravan this week but we said no we have jobs to do at home, wish we had gone now.
Oh how I wish I could do it myself.

Franbern Wed 05-Jun-19 09:24:50

Mmmmm....so why can't you do the wallpapering yourself? I used to all the decorating in my large Edwardian house, painting,wall-papering, tiling bathroom - even on one occasion taking down old internal wall and replacing it with plasterboard.
Even easier to do these days, with u-tube to guide you.
Five years waiting.....do not understand that

Craftycat Wed 05-Jun-19 09:31:12

I hate to say this but it will get worse when he retires!
My husband is still working but has had a spell at home between jobs & behaves exactly like this.
I have learnt to do a lot of DIY things myself & find if I ask one of the sons to come over & help it sometimes gets him to shift himself.
Don't be fooled by the stress of the job- I find that men who have a stressful job thrive on it & miss it if they gets a different role.
I would really suggest putting your foot down now or get a decorator in & give him the bill- which I did! Mind you now DH suggests I get someone in to do it.
Good luck!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:31:17

Could you get the pasting table out, the paper, etc and start measuring, 'sizing' and cutting? The sight of you starting might make him feel guilty and hopefully it'll spur him into action. Best of luck.

Septimia Wed 05-Jun-19 09:32:12

Yes, I'd get on and make a start. I've found with my DH that it encourages him to join in - or he'll go and do something else that needs doing. Maybe yours will feel that his expertise is needed.

Or you could start work and then pretend to get into difficulties and call for help....

If you make a mess of it, can it look any worse than nothing having been done?

Good luck!

J52 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:32:16

I’m another one who says get on with it yourself. If you’re not confident in hanging wallpaper then paint the walls.
I’m always the one to do the decorating, I have high standards, not only in the execution of the task, but also in looking after the equipment! I struggle to even let the ‘professionals’ paint my walls! grin

lemongrove Wed 05-Jun-19 09:35:12

I am in awe of all you wallpaper-ers out there, I will do anything else in the way of decorating, but not that.
I would give your DH an ultimatum about it, no more cooked meals until he gets going on the hall, what a disgrace,
Five years!

lemongrove Wed 05-Jun-19 09:36:24

J52 you can come here any time........for a small fee?grin

Nandalot Wed 05-Jun-19 09:36:48

Get some quotes for the job. Perhaps that will give him the incentive he needs.

GrandmaKT Wed 05-Jun-19 09:37:03

We don't know that the OP doesn't have health problems preventing her from decorating. If not, I agree with what others have said, get up early, get everything out and start yourself. He will surely join in when he sees you. If he doesn't, or there isn't time to finish it, get a professional in. 5 years is long enough to wait!

leyla Wed 05-Jun-19 09:40:55

I ended up paying a painter/decorator.

Buffybee Wed 05-Jun-19 09:46:58

What would be say if you had a decorator round to give you a quote for the hall?
In fact, that is exactly what I would do.
5 years!!!
He has no intention at all of doing this job.

Davida1968 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:56:55

After five years I would definitely get someone in to do the decorating. Job done!

sodapop Wed 05-Jun-19 10:00:53

Definitely pay someone to do it after five years of waiting Bopeep just getting the quotes may spur him into action. Good luck.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 05-Jun-19 10:01:24

Get a decorator to do it.

PenelopePopcorn Wed 05-Jun-19 10:06:24

I learned to do a lot of DIY from watching Youtube tutorials. If your husband feels too weary or low in energy I would accept that and either do it myself or pay someone to do it.

Boosgran Wed 05-Jun-19 10:08:14

Definitely tell him you are getting quotes in for the job. He obviously doesn’t want to do it and I certainly wouldn’t start it myself. Great if do it yourself is your thing but I can quite understand if not.

FlexibleFriend Wed 05-Jun-19 10:11:50

Personally I wouldn't put up with it for 5 weeks let alone 5 years. If you can't do it yourself employ someone to do it for you. Maybe having to put his hand in his pocket might spur him on in the future but don't be fobbed off on this occasion.

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 10:16:39

Where to start to reply to you Bopeep …….

My DH and I very rarely get any annual leave together (in fact he rarely gets any at all, but that is besides the point) and my own leave is usually booked well in advance for childcare.

Anyway, I was a single parent for many years and it was a case of if I didn't do it myself it wouldn't get done, so with years of practise I am now pretty good at wallpapering and really quite enjoy it, as long as I don't get interference. If you are not able to give it a go yourself however I would definitely get some quotes to have it done. Its not fair that you have to live with bare walls for years.

JS06 Wed 05-Jun-19 10:17:37

I agree with the posters suggesting get someone in to do it. You've said your husband has a stressful job and it's understandable he needs down time. His mistake was perhaps in agreeing that jobs would be started. I'd tell him the decorators are coming and the money you saved by not going away with friends this week will, in part, fund it. Good luck.

PamGeo Wed 05-Jun-19 10:18:39

9 hours is really good sleep no wonder he's not tired before 3am, I'd be walking a brass band round the bed at 9 am !

Seriously though, I'd do something along those lines then leave the house for the caravan for a few days with or without him.
I'd get a decorator in when he's back at work and I'd do the whole house, get it all done before he's retired and under your feet again.
Memo to self, Never refuse a for a break with friends again wink

ditzyme Wed 05-Jun-19 10:21:37

I'd arrange for a decorator and then tell him it's a done deal. And if he protests, point out that if he'd got off his backside and done it, then paying someone wouldn't have been necessary. And as for Franbern boasting almost about her DIY achievements - and good for her - she might do well to remember that not all women are physically able to do these things themselves.

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 10:25:18

I don't think Franbern was boasting at all ditzyme . Its the same with me, I taught myself to wallpaper as I had no-one else to do it for me and could never have afforded to pay a professional. I am really rather good at it now and quite the perfectionist. Sometimes we assume we can't do something because we have never tried.
Obviously if the OP is not physically able then that's a different matter entirely.

dragonfly46 Wed 05-Jun-19 10:31:57

My DH had a stressful job so I did everything - painting, decorating even moving!

henetha Wed 05-Jun-19 10:35:48

One sure way to get my husband to do anything was to start the job myself, - I always knew he would take over when he saw how incompetent I was being. It worked every time!