Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do we get it so wrong?

(51 Posts)
Nonnie Thu 06-Jun-19 16:10:54

DH and I usually research quite carefully before buying anything so why don't we get it right? We bought a Betamax video recorder. A few years ago we decided to buy a new car which we don't usually, we just run them into the ground. Obviously cars had changed a lot since the last one so we did our research and bought a diesel because it was better for the environment. You all know how that worked out. I bet you can all guess what make our mobile phones are grin

Our dishwasher seems to have died, oh dear!

Dillyduck Fri 07-Jun-19 10:03:31

£90 to fit a dishwasher?!?! You are looking at the wrong supplier.

Buy a cheap one and then get a warranty, so that if it goes wrong they'll come and mend it. The difference between a basic one and an expensive one is usually the number of programmes. I only use two!

One year I bought a top of the range dishwasher, but it's wheels needed replacing at least once a year.

maddyone Fri 07-Jun-19 10:08:27

Yep, we fell for that one too. A diesel VW Passat! Luckily my little car is petrol and very economical.

Stella14 Fri 07-Jun-19 10:27:22

AO (appliances on line) is great for dishwashers. You can check out the different features and decide what you need and they are great on the phone at helping you decide if you are not sure. Excellent prices, delivery and aftersales service too!

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 10:38:47

dasiemay not 'smarting', musing.

Blubelle I read that washing up by hand is more damaging to the environment than using a dishwasher! It uses more water.
No Crazyh. Yes *Callistemon8 grin

That'll be it then ag must have done too much research!

Witzend oh yes put my babies on their tummies so they wouldn't choke.

Dilly that's the price in John Lewis and Currys for fitting an integrated dishwasher.

Will look up AO, thanks for the suggestion.

Trying to decide whether to get it repaired or buy a new one. Need to find out how long it has been there.

Merryweather Fri 07-Jun-19 11:23:46

I have a Hotpoint washer dryer and its been a complete disaster. Fortunately, I had an extended warranty as it has been virtually rebuilt several times in the last 6 years. It's now completely dead.
I had a Hotpoint fridge freezer too. That only lasted three years before it conked out. I now have a Kenwood. I always thought Hotpoint was a durable make.
I've just replaced my belling cooker after 15 years for a freestanding Rangemaster. Fingers crossed it lasts.
I'm really not sure what make to choose to replace the washer dryer with.
Any suggestions?

BusterTank Fri 07-Jun-19 11:31:25

I'm afraid nothing is made to last these days . You know when the five year warranty runs out , things will start to go wrong . I find its best but the cheapest .usually there's less to go wrong and when it gives up the ghost , you've had your money worth . Next time don't over analyse it .

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 11:39:07

Merry Thanks, I'll avoid Hotpoint but they were good 30 years ago! I loved my Rangemaster.

I think Buster may be right, cheap and cheerful, especially when you can't see it because it is integrated, and then replace. That's what we did with our washing machine and it is now 10 years old. All those bells and whistles are not a lot of use to us because we don't use them.

The trouble with an integrated appliance is that the installation and removal costs £110 so its a toss up whether to buy a really expensive model and hope it lasts or buy a cheap one which may be just as good. How complicated can a dishwasher be?

Just looked at AO and couldn't find installations cost so did the live chat. Had to ask the same question 3 times to get through to someone with an answer. Prices seem to be the same as everywhere else.

Legs55 Fri 07-Jun-19 12:02:06

I bought an Indesit washer/drier when I moved here, no room for washing machine & tumble drier, no washing line outside. I had mine repaired last year, only 3 years old then a couple of weeks later the circuit board packed up. Luckily I have an Insurance on it, don't usually insure white goods but it was replaced quite quickly & DD fitted it for me to save paying installation, only thing is they don't take old one away under any circumstances, Appliances Direct. DD advertised it for me on local FB pages, some-one came & took it awaygrin. Only once had a dishwasher so can't offer any advice, we had to replace the one that was in our home when we'd bought it 6 months previously, think we bought fairly cheap from Curry's & paid for installation as DH was useless at anything like thatgrin

We had Betamax, loved ithmm

Car is petrol, would't have diesel, can't stand the smell of the fuelconfused

Tillybelle Fri 07-Jun-19 12:14:55

Nonnie. I totally sympathise! I had the cheapest make of washing machine and it lived through horrible abuse for something like 26 years. I asked the repair man for the best make and he said Zanussi. It lasted 5 years, the dishwasher 4. I think the in-built obsolescence or clock ticking down to failure is part of the machine today. After all, the company don't want us to never buy another.

Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 12:19:53

Neff, Bosch and AEG - all have let us down.

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 12:25:47

DH has just come into my study to explain some complicated arrangement he has made with some sort of insurance which will cost us £20 per month for 6 months and a repair man will come on Monday! While he was doing it he also paid £25 for tablets to soften the water in our 11 year old washing machine! We live in a soft water area hmm. They say things go in threes so wonder what the next will be! Had to replace the lawn mower this week and I thought we had a cheap month this month!

SirChenjin Fri 07-Jun-19 12:27:14

I see your Betamax and raise you a Dragon computer! If it's any consolation this recommendation came to us from my dad's friend who was something high up in the scientific field and was really into these new fangled home computers so apparently knew his stuff hmm.

We had a Beko dishwasher for years. It was a real work horse and I was sorry to see it go.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 07-Jun-19 12:56:21

What's in a name ?No matter what the name says on a finished product how many ever consider who manufacture the parts that go into it.? Eight months ago I decided to sell the fridge freezer I had purchased as new sixteen years previous, never had any problems but now needed the space taken up by its size , so bought a smaller model,same make just a down size with its extended guarantee as part of the package?Am now after only eight months use !!!waiting for an engineer to visit and advise why my new fridge freezer has gone to sleep?

LornaS Fri 07-Jun-19 15:15:52

I'm thinking of getting my utility room properly fitted out with cupboards and shelves to replace the mishmash of old cupboards and bookcases currently there. Should I get a kitchen company eg Wren, Magnet etc or get a joiner in? I need to accommodate washing machine, dryer and freezer.

LornaS Fri 07-Jun-19 15:17:19

Oops meant to start a new post!

libra10 Fri 07-Jun-19 15:50:50

This morning we have been out to buy new landline phones and a set of bathroom scales.

We wanted plain bathroom scales, with no technology involved, and when we got them home I could hardly see the weight measurements.

We're not sure about the phones either! They seem to ask any unknown callers who they are (to block scam calls), unfortunately I am wondering whether they will also put off genuine callers.

Someone else who can't get it right.

glammagran Fri 07-Jun-19 17:41:06

Does anyone remember the budget German goods from TCM who had a chain of shops in the late 90’s? I bought an electric hand whisk for less than a tenner which I still use all the time. I was dubious at the time whether it would last long.

JudiDrench Fri 07-Jun-19 18:16:43

We have a very good fully fitted dishwasher which has been going strong for decades, requires no maintenance, no service, fitting or tablets...the make is 'Hands' smile

FlexibleFriend Fri 07-Jun-19 18:42:13

Some of us prefer a mechanical dishwasher that we load and forget, that uses water far too hot for my hands and all we have to do is empty it. I'd really rather spend the money than kill my back standing at the sink.
Nonnie if you go to the ao website put the appliance in your basket the following page asks what services you want as the prices vary on which delivery slot you choose, whether you want the new one installed, the old one taken away etc etc. I had a freezer delivered by them on Monday and have a fridge freezer coming next Monday. I think they are brilliant. while talking to them today I asked about my current washing machine and tumble dryer that both came from them but I couldn't remember how long ago. Apparently they are six and a half years old and he asked if I wanted to insure them against breakdown for for £5.59 for the washing machine and £7.09 per month for the tumble dryer, so that when they can no longer be repaired they will be replaced like for like or alternatively I could choose to upgrade. In other words never buy another machine, it's very comprehensive cover and I must admit I was wondering yesterday how much longer they'll carry on. I've now got all my large appliances covered. I was very impressed with them last year when my Son's washing machine broke down and it was replaced with no hassle and at no cost within a matter of days.

00mam00 Fri 07-Jun-19 20:02:17

Back ache from standing doing dishes? NO, backache from loading and unloading a dish washer. I wouldn't have one for all the tea in China. That myth about a dishwasher using less water than hand washing is about people who hand wash under a running tap. What’s the problem with hand washing in a sink full of hot sudsy water, then drying with a clean tea towel? We have been doing it for decades and no ill effect. Sometimes there is too much cleanliness, if we are to save the environment we need to go back to basics.

Nonnie Sat 08-Jun-19 11:57:06

Flexible I tried but that didn't work for integrated dishwashers so I had to go through all the hassle of reading all the 'answers' to questions and eventually was lead to 'live chat' which asked me what my question was, wanted to know all about me (I refused to put my phone number so wrote 0000000000 instead). It then took me to another page where I had to give my question again and then to a named person who asked again. Turned out they charge the same as John Lewis and Currys!

FlexibleFriend Sat 08-Jun-19 13:12:51

I don't know about John Lewis but service at AO is much better than Curry's. When they offer next day they mean next day and give realistic time slots with the driver ringing to give notice he'll be with you in approx. 30 mins. Plus fitting an integrated dishwasher is a doddle, a plug, a screw fit water connection and the door held on with a couple of fixings. I'd rather do it myself than give them 90 quid to do what I can do myself.

Nonnie Sat 08-Jun-19 13:41:45

Thanks Flexible didn't realise fitting a dishwasher was so easy. If we have to get a new one I will bear that in mind. Are they very heavy?

I do like the idea of being able to go into a shop to see what they look like but if I found a suitable one I would check on AO's website to see if they had the same model at the same price.

FlexibleFriend Sat 08-Jun-19 16:28:36

No dishwashers are not very heavy, nothing like a washing machine. Any competent person could fit one the hardiest bit is getting the feet level and that varies from machine to machine.

eazybee Sat 08-Jun-19 17:18:57

Nonnie, I don't think you did get it wrong.
Betamax were regarded as being infinitely superior to VHS when they were first produced; the Government(!) advised people to buy Diesel as being less harmful, and I can't remember about the mobile phones.
But not your fault.
Next time, choose it by the colour you like best; just as successful.