Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you get a "play piece"

(88 Posts)
paddyann Fri 07-Jun-19 08:55:47

I suppose that Scottish grans will be the only ones who understand this.When we were at school we had a snack for playtimes a "piece" being a sandwich.On another site I read about folk having cold toast or chocolate biscuits .Mine was usuallly a piece and jam .My late mother who was thought to be delicate all her life had her playpiece in the staffroom bovril and toast ...to build her up.I'd forgotten all about the sandwich wrapped in greasproof paper tucked into my satchel and the swapping them for something a bit more exciting like a cold sausage roll .

SirChenjin Sat 08-Jun-19 16:26:45

Nograndsyet we used to say that too! The whole school used to chant it in the lunch hall before we were allowed to tuck in!

Albangirl14 Sat 08-Jun-19 17:20:41

Mmm New Berry Fruits still my favourite but hard to find now.

OurKid1 Sat 08-Jun-19 17:22:54

Some Sugar Puffs in a paper bag was my break-time snack at Junior School.

JanaNana Sat 08-Jun-19 20:03:11

I hadn't heard of a play-piece until we moved to the north of Scotland and the children went to school, I was fascinated by the sound of it. Then I started working at a local playgroup and all the children had to put their play piece onto a very large set of trays until it was time for break. Have very fond memories of this time.

Conker Sat 08-Jun-19 20:26:06

Never heard of it smile I’m from Merseyside we would take a butty for playtime and those that went home for dinner time usually had a list of names for 5p bags of sherbet or sherbet pips .

BradfordLass72 Sun 09-Jun-19 01:10:50

Not only Scottish people understand smile

I used to take Mum's home made biscuits in my peggy-purse, wrapped in grease-proof paper. They were eaten when we had our little bottles of milk at playtime.

The jam 'piece' was what I ate when I got home, to put me on until 5:30 teatime.

grannyactivist Sun 09-Jun-19 01:17:41

It was the rule to take a 'snack' to eat after school swimming lessons and I only ever took cold toast as snacks didn't feature in our eating pattern at all. I did so enjoy eating that toast though.

Marmight Sun 09-Jun-19 01:33:14

Yes. It was for some inexplicable reason called 'lunch' consumed at morning break with the quarter bottle of milk. Either an apple, some sultanas wrapped in greaseproof or a couple of Nice biscuits similarly wrapped. Remembering this has taken me back to the playground - boys one end and girls the other and no meeting in the middle confused

grannyqueenie Sun 09-Jun-19 15:10:38

grannyactivist, we called the snack after swimming our “chittering bite” i.e our teeth were chattering from the cold... well it was Scotland after all!

Piersfield62 Sun 09-Jun-19 15:28:50

Yes I always had a "playpiece" in 1960s Scotland which could be crisps or an apple or a couple of biscuits or sweeties if you were lucky. We also had a "shivery bite" after we had been swimming. It was an open air pool so very apt!

varian Sun 09-Jun-19 15:35:00

I remember tucking into my chitterry bite whilst still in my wet swimsuit. Munching kept my teeth from chittering.

Alexa Sun 09-Jun-19 18:34:35

Yes, I got a play- piece from my mother when I was a Scottish child. I also got a chittery -piece for after the swimming at the town baths.