Gransnet forums

Chat

Accents

(158 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Fri 07-Jun-19 10:36:39

Last night I watched The Disappearance of Julie Reilly iPlayer, a murder in Scotand.
The accents were really hard to understand and they talk so fast, say 'they done this' instead of 'they did this and no...not a lovely accent at all.
Can anyone here think of an accent they don't particularly like or easily understand?

Anniebach Fri 07-Jun-19 22:53:24

callgirl depends where in Wales, if in the north it is very
much their first language,

GabriellaG54 Fri 07-Jun-19 23:06:20

Parsley
No accent, to me, is possibly only bring able to determine if the speaker is from the North or South vowel-wise.

GabriellaG54 Fri 07-Jun-19 23:07:07

bring being blush

BrandyButter Fri 07-Jun-19 23:36:00

I have a northern accent and once dated a Geordie but could not understand a word so unfortunately we did not get very far. I could listen to a Scottish or Irish accent forever smile but once they have had a few drinks their speech speeds up and I have to concentrate party

paddyann Fri 07-Jun-19 23:38:58

I dont like RP ...its ridiculous to expect everyone to speak the same ,accents give us colour and a different slant on peoples lives .I come from an irish background my granny had her Donegal accent until the day she died even though she had lived here for almost 70 years .It always makes me smile when I hear that accent .

Resurgam123 Sat 08-Jun-19 07:00:32

I was born in Leicester. Then to Northamptonshire then Bristol.
I have now lived very near the potteries for 30+ years. I find myself picking up the accents. Particularly the lack of prepositions . I do tend to pick up accents if I am with someone for a while and I can't always help it.

Loislovesstewie Sat 08-Jun-19 08:58:05

What I find amusing is that one person will absolutely love a particular accent and another person will find the very same accent unbearable! There has to be a reason for it! I'll give an example; I am not keen ( that's an understatement) on French but I can listen to Italian,Spanish or Portuguese all day . I don't care that I can't understand everything that is being said, the words just sound delightful. If anyone can offer a scientific explanation I would be obliged.

Sara65 Sat 08-Jun-19 09:02:13

When we were children we lived in a small town, my granny had relations in a village about three miles away, their accent was so different to ours , I had a job to understand them!

Elvive Sat 08-Jun-19 09:16:47

Sara, where was this please? How interesting.

Sara65 Sat 08-Jun-19 09:25:08

West Country Elvive

gillybob Sat 08-Jun-19 09:26:52

Well I have a Geordie accent. Common as muck.

BradfordLass72 Sat 08-Jun-19 09:32:01

There is a scale of accents, graded from the best to worst liked.
The Birmingham accent is the least liked.

I love the Scottish accent and Geordie.

Not particularly keen on my own Yorkshire accent if it is spoken in what my mother used to call 'scruffy'.
A proper, Yorkshire dialect is a different thing altogether.

People who glottal stop the middle of 'butter' and 'water' etc. sound horrible. Mum always insisted that we sound those tee's clearly, which is probably why I don't sound much like a Yorkshire person these days, although I do sometimes say 'summat' and 'nowt' if I'm in a forgetful mood. smile

www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/what-uks-ugliest-accent-4789870

bikergran Sat 08-Jun-19 09:39:22

Lancashire lass here...but I hate the old Lancashire dialect.

"does tha want some dinner" etc

" it's there ore yonder" etc."

bikergran Sat 08-Jun-19 09:40:30

If anyone has ever listened to the "Bradshaws" used to be on the radio in the afternoons. Must admit I did enjoy .

BradfordLass72 Sat 08-Jun-19 09:47:40

Anyone who doesn't like the Welsh accent cannot have heard the wonderful Philip Madoc.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jG5RfFm1W0

Mmm, I could listen to him for ever.......

vickya Sat 08-Jun-19 09:56:27

I taught English as a second language. I am used to accents from different countries and allover the UK but increasingly I have trouble understanding what people say as my hearing is deteriorating. An accent, other noise going on, people who speak less clearly all interfere with the message. I have got hearing aids and the loss is not yet huge but an accent, if strong and the speaker speaks quickly, does make it hard for me, and I think many others, to understand. Also radio programmes with music over the speech or simply just bad sound levels. Also tv. I couldn't watch some series where they speak fast and have accents. I have to have the subtitles on for quite a few programmes now anyway.

GrammaH Sat 08-Jun-19 09:56:43

I'm rather amused at the mentions of a Shropshire accent. I've lived in the county for almost all my life and, like many counties, it has accent variations throughout it and they are all very distinctive. For a local, it's easy to tell what part of the county people are from, with influences from Welsh in the West and the Black Country in the east, with touches of Cheshire & Herefordshire thrown in as well. My parents are from Devon although they moved away when they married 70 years ago but all my relatives are there & my husband had awful trouble understanding them when he first joined the family. His mother was from Lancashire, she came to Shropshire as a Land Girl but died aged 89 having never lost her accent. My BIL is a Geordie, he came to Shropshire over 30 years ago & had to change his accent a bit to make himself understood. He still has a soft twang. A good friend is a Glaswegian - it's another language! It took me ages to realise what "going to the shop for the messages"meant. I wouldn't say I dislike any accents, some are harder to understand though. It's an odd thread, almost racist GG....

Nanny41 Sat 08-Jun-19 09:59:00

I love accents, I havent a Liverpool accent although grown up there, but when I come home (dont live in the UK) I love the first time I hear the accent,I know I am "home"
Love the Cornish accent and New Zealand accent, lets hope they will all survive.

Davida1968 Sat 08-Jun-19 10:00:37

I often have the subtitles on when watching TV, though I know my hearing is OK. So many actors (with all sorts of accents) speak fast or mumble! I find that it's generally not an "accent issue" but is all about "delivery". It's my understanding that the most "popular" UK accent is Scottish (Edinburgh) and that the least liked is Brummie.....which I am......oh dear.

oodles Sat 08-Jun-19 10:01:15

Ex husband used to deny anyone in his family. All southerners, the PIL had very distinct accents from where they came from, his brother had a local accent from where he was brought up, ex had a localish accent heavily overlaid with an RP Accent but he would imitate the accent of whoever he was talking to.
I'd no problems with them having southern accents, just the assumption that they didn't have them. I get that it's normal to them but it's still an accent.

Anniebach Sat 08-Jun-19 10:02:48

Born in Merthyr Tydfil, very special people born there ?

The Welsh are rather good at reading poetry , perhaps because they are very emotional people , and they do talk a lot blush

Loislovesstewie Sat 08-Jun-19 10:08:47

I think that what this thread proves is that the axiom " one man's meat is another man's poison " is definitely true. I also think that some times we aren't just talking about accent but also dialect. When a "strong " accent is coupled with dialect words which are unknown to the listener or used in a different way then confusion can begin . I think that applies to all of us.It can be very isolating if we can't communicate effectively , particularly if we think we are !
And to further add petrol to the fire , I would rather listen to Liam Neeson or the much missed Terry Wogan or the lovely Neil Oliver(archaeology was never so intetesting!) .

MawBroonsback Sat 08-Jun-19 10:09:22

They said “they done this” instead of “they did etc” ??
Ye gods, a hanging offence!
I love our myriad accents and dialects and if it is normal to say “I were” and “you was” in any part of the country, that is part of our richly varied heritage.
I love Brummie accents, Welsh accents, Geordie , West Country, and all the Scottish accents
Not entirely seriously I would add “You can always tell a Yorkshireman” (but you can’t tell him much!)

PS which part of the country is Scotand ?

4allweknow Sat 08-Jun-19 10:15:37

It's not so much the accents it's the bad grammar that gets to me. As in done instead of did and all the 'fs' instead of 'ths' and missing off the 'h'.

Hilarybee Sat 08-Jun-19 10:15:49

I have noticed that when a footballer from another country, Spain for example, plays for a team such as Liverpool they acquire a Spanish/Liverpudlian accent. I love it!