Gransnet forums

Chat

Accents

(158 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Fri 07-Jun-19 10:36:39

Last night I watched The Disappearance of Julie Reilly iPlayer, a murder in Scotand.
The accents were really hard to understand and they talk so fast, say 'they done this' instead of 'they did this and no...not a lovely accent at all.
Can anyone here think of an accent they don't particularly like or easily understand?

jura2 Mon 10-Jun-19 12:58:18

Callistemon 'jura and, of course, if we learn a foreign language we have no idea what accent we may pick up from our teacher.'

Indeed - most of my colleagues in UK who taught French and German like me, had a distinct UK accent ... Personally, I learnt early to switch from the flat 'rp' of my parents to several shades of local accents. We all speak many languages, even when just in our own... depending on audience.

Callistemon Mon 10-Jun-19 13:02:48

JenniferEccles I shout a lot at ours, she may speak clearly but has no clear idea about where she is going grin

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Jun-19 13:09:28

Callistemon. Yes, you are right. Ours is is not infallible either, but if it is me who has accidentally taken a wrong turning I am sure there is a bit of an edge to her voice as she says "make a u turn if possible" grin

Callistemon Mon 10-Jun-19 13:14:00

Oh yes, that's when I starting saying very loudly! "Just BE QUIET will you" or words to that effect, so then she backs down and says "Recalculating route" grin

Grannyrebel27 Wed 12-Jun-19 16:20:07

I love to hear the Queen's English being spoken.

sunseeker Wed 12-Jun-19 16:48:30

In Bristol we not only have an accent but also our own language! When I went to visit my brother in Australia we carried on a conversation in pure "Brizzle" - his children couldn't understand a word! grin

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 22:34:12

I'm not sure what The Queen's English is any more - she has moderated her accent very much over the years.