Gransnet forums

Chat

Isn't The Guardian a load of old rubbish

(42 Posts)
Elvive Fri 07-Jun-19 18:25:30

This evenings offerings......spanking, leather and grappling.

Followed by " I was hospitalised by a sex headache" and Document Casts new Light on rape case.

Elvive Mon 10-Jun-19 10:12:40

I like to " read" about revellers in the Mail.

One lady leant on her male companion.

Or travelers

A big horse is running

Or racegoers

A woman removes her high heels

Or the Royals

A baby waves.

Now that is journalism!

Glammy57 Mon 10-Jun-19 10:09:07

I read the Guardian every weekend and the i daily. My sister left her copy of The Torygraph, at our house, after cat sitting, so I flicked through it! The Daily Mail is so misogynistic but is probably okay to line the hamster cage! ?

Boosgran Sun 09-Jun-19 10:31:52

No etheltbags1 - google it. It’s mentioned on one of the NHS websites.

etheltbags1 Sun 09-Jun-19 09:46:29

What is a sex headache. Is it something women get. It sounds sexist to me. I thought both sexes got headaches. My late husband got headaches.hmm

Mapleleaf Sun 09-Jun-19 09:42:02

That article was in the magazine supplement, the rest of the paper (s) within it covered all sorts of news from politics, the environment, universities, sport, travel, cookery, tv - something to suit everyone, I would have thought.
I agree, I think the magazine supplement varies in quality, but it’s all subjective really - what suits one doesn’t necessarily suit another.
Wherever possible, though, try to read widely, (easier now with online, even with paywall, some articles are accessible without having to pay), as all papers have their own particular biases.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 09:18:28

I've always had the Express if I buy a newspaper and have sent off their general knowledge crossword many a time but haven't won a sausage. Maybe it's because it's the NW as opposed to the clever toffs "darn sarf " if they see a Liverpool postmark.

However, the Guardian contains one prison reporter,Eric Allison who at least keeps everyone else updated with the latest news on one particular prisoner who's been incarcerated for nigh-on 34 years so far.

boat Sun 09-Jun-19 09:07:55

I think The Guardian is on a par with The Times. I read both daily along with The i (I'm a fast reader and don't watch much television).

I read The Telegraph and The Financial Times about twice a month and every two months or so I get out my sick bucket and buy The Daily Mail.

On Sundays it's The Observer and The Sunday Times.

I know I should have an occasional look at the other tabloids but can't quite bring myself to do it. I may be wrong but it's 60+ years since a reading age of 15 was needed to tackle The Daily Mirror.

To some extent they have all dumbed down (though some of them didn't have much leeway being already halfway there) but who knows, perhaps someone who starts by reading an article on sex headaches will be drawn into reading other stuff (though from what some posters on here have said this is already a serious subject).

I like The i because it gives a quick overview of events here and around the world and there is limited space for silliness (also I can actually do their cryptic crossword most days; a bonus).

I don't think The Guardian is rubbish any more than The Times is, they just have a different approach.

For example, I don't think The Guardian would ever contemplate running articles on avoiding Inheritance and other taxes as The Times does from time to time.

Actually I get a definite sense that both papers have become less partisan..

The Times has become more willing to deplore the effects of Austerity, the lack of adequate social housing and the need for food banks; The Guardian has become readier to criticise Corbyn's failure to lead (I voted for him and now despair at times).

Boosgran Sat 08-Jun-19 22:13:49

Oh ok I’ve just looked it up Urmstongran ?

Boosgran Sat 08-Jun-19 14:49:34

Urmstongran - what is a ‘sex headache’? Sounds scary ?

Callistemon Sat 08-Jun-19 14:41:49

grin

how much is it worth I wonder?

Elvive Sat 08-Jun-19 14:41:02

Worth a try...... My Chop Suey Hell.

Callistemon Sat 08-Jun-19 14:39:50

I once got a 10 day headache from eating Chinese food (the msg apparently)

Do you think the Guardian would like to pay me for an interview?

Poppyred Sat 08-Jun-19 14:39:37

In answer to your question Elvive, yes it is! ??

Elvive Sat 08-Jun-19 14:37:29

Nice to meet you too Ginny.

MawBroonsback Sat 08-Jun-19 13:09:22

Scraping the bottom of the barrel to get a reaction Elvive hmm

Alexa Sat 08-Jun-19 12:52:56

"I hope you paid for your viewing Elvive. The Guardian always needs donations and subscriptions because it hasn't got wealthy owners."

(Lazygirl)
This is why the Guardian is not biased. Please excuse me Lazygirl for adding this to your clear message but sometimes it has to be explained in detail.

I'm a subscriber.

GillT57 Sat 08-Jun-19 11:21:57

GG54 the comments under articles on Mail Online are terrifying in their illiteracy, misunderstanding and sheer nastiness! A terrifying peek under a stone. But, like you I do have a look occasionally grin

POGS Sat 08-Jun-19 11:15:42

Urmstongran

smile

Lazigirl Sat 08-Jun-19 09:51:02

I hope you paid for your viewing Elvive. The Guardian always needs donations and subscriptions because it hasn't got wealthy owners.

Alexa Sat 08-Jun-19 09:48:17

An article about too much sex written by a Dr Dick must have gone astray from a 1 April edition

Alexa Sat 08-Jun-19 09:46:46

Elvive ! Grans are Guardianistas didn't you know!grin

Gonegirl Sat 08-Jun-19 09:46:22

The Express is horrible! At least you get good pictures of the royals with the Daily Mail. I like that. Shallow old bird that I am.

Amagran Sat 08-Jun-19 09:42:35

Not sure what your preferred newspaper is, Elvive. I find the strongly biased vitriol in the Daily Mail most distasteful and the Express and Mirror little better. All papers are biased to a degree, but I am happy to read any well written article in any of the so-called quality newspapers where opinions are supported by evidence. My preferred paper is The Guardian and yes, like other quality papers, they do occasionally descend into tabloid trivia, but it does not define the paper.

Gonegirl Sat 08-Jun-19 09:31:36

That's why I want to know what Dr Dick said.

Ginny42 Sat 08-Jun-19 09:30:41

You see we have our very own sufferer of a sex headache and it sounds a very distressing experience. Is it not a relevant topic for an adult article in a grown-up newspaper?

Stop trying to sensationalise it Elvive. So the answer to your question is no.