Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it beyond the wit of humanity (note, not "man") to...(lighthearted thread)

(96 Posts)
phoenix Tue 11-Jun-19 18:52:48

To make ovens where the temperature numbers next to the the dials dont wear off after about 6 months

To make all tablets that have to be given to cats, palatable to all cats, even the fussy ones.

To make cars that have automatic/compulsory indicators when turning in car parks (yes we would like to know if you are planning to turn, and in which direction, not all of us are psychic)

confused

NanaMacGeek Fri 05-Jul-19 22:37:26

We bought some bacon that was in a tray, clearly marked in big red letters “Now Recyclable”, so we put it in the recycling bin. The refuse collectors took all the rest of the recyclables and left the tray, with its label, sitting on its own at the bottom of the bin. Why is it so difficult to get recycling right?

P.S. I have small hands and always used to struggle to open jars. I bought a Baby Boa Constrictor Jar Opener many years ago and only need to trouble DH to help me open childproof medicine bottles these days. (There is a knack to using the Boa though.)

Evie64 Fri 05-Jul-19 21:29:59

After watching a TV programme on recycling, I began to read the labelling on packaging which indicates whether it's recyclable or not. I am horrified to find that the majority is not. When will the manufacturers get their act together over this? Perhaps we should all have a day of action like they did in Germany a few years ago where every shopper removed all the unnecessary packaging from their food purchases and left it at the end of the till. Apparently it highlighted to the German Government that there was a huge problem and I believe more controls were put in place with the food industry as a result.

ninathenana Sat 15-Jun-19 07:09:46

boat
I knew about the black trays, I did not know about till receipts shock
Thank you.

boat Sat 15-Jun-19 05:50:51

Hi Bijou

Re: Black Plastic Trays. For about 20 years I have been diligently washing and recycling these. Recently I have learned that they should not go in the recycle bin because although the plastic can be reused the fact that it is black means it can't be dyed to another colour. Also they do not show up on automatic sorting systems and just fall through to the waste section and end up in landfill anyway.

I feel I've been taken for a fool. We are not told enough. I have been religiously recycling every scrap of card and paper. Now we are told that supermarket till receipts are a no-no because they are heat printed and the process releases poisons.

What are the implications for people who work on the tills?

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Jun-19 17:57:28

All loo doors should open outwards. By law. I’m too big for loos with inward opening doors which just miss the loo seat. Then, having squirmed round between the seat and got the door shut, having the sanitary bin jammed against the loo because the cubicle is too narrow as well.

Who are these midgets who design tiny toilets? Oh, and bus seats too.

shysal Fri 14-Jun-19 16:04:26

I need glasses for reading, but still found it impossible to read this blurb for a CD I have just bought. It is paler in the photo, in real life light red on dark red!

TwiceAsNice Thu 13-Jun-19 18:45:06

2oldforhotpants. OMG how I have laughed! Priceless!

janipat Thu 13-Jun-19 18:34:27

phoenix what a brilliantly simple idea! Probably why it has never occurred to me wink

ninathenana Thu 13-Jun-19 12:35:29

DD was driving my car today with me in it and we declared ...

that all cars should have indicators and wipers on the same sides of the steering wheel as hers are opposite way round and she kept forgetting.

Willow10 Thu 13-Jun-19 11:10:47

2old4hotpants - that's the one I was thinking of! Thank you.

Dayone Thu 13-Jun-19 08:15:01

2old4hotpants...Thanks to you I've started my day with a really good laugh?? Couldn't see by the time I reached the end of your post ??

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Jun-19 07:34:46

Nail varnish. Why does the brush not reach the bottom of the bottle?

Menopaws Thu 13-Jun-19 05:58:56

Tin of spam that threatens to cut your wrist when opening

Saggi Thu 13-Jun-19 05:42:58

All those tight ... impossible to open... safety child-proof containers... easy... you can borrow either of my grandchildren ,aged 7 and 11. They’ll open them in a jiffy!

sharon103 Thu 13-Jun-19 01:26:51

p.s, feed to the cat by hand.

sharon103 Thu 13-Jun-19 01:24:01

2oldforhotpants and mielp sooo funny!
Well a simple trick that never fails and my daughter does this too, buy some wafer thin ham or chicken, break a small piece off, wrap the tablet in it, cat will happily eat it, down goes the tablet with no fuss. Sometimes it will fall out but wrap it up in another piece of ham and Bob's ya uncle!

Jannicans Wed 12-Jun-19 22:47:58

2oldforhotpants good laugh, nearly peed myself.

phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 22:06:16

janipat again I refer to my post of 15.43.

Not ideal, I will admit, but something to consider until "they" change things!

4allweknow Wed 12-Jun-19 21:58:11

To produce cars with built in front and rear cameras as standard.

Bijou Wed 12-Jun-19 21:10:52

I agree with all the gransnetters about the opening of jars etc. It means one spends time doing these tasks which could be better spent. One needs a lot of different implements to open/unpack everything. my lastest grouse is the fact that supermarket meat and fish is now in a black plastic tray and is shrink wrapped with thick plastic. Need sharp scissors and a knife to get the contents out. Then you cannot recycle the plastic tray because the remaining film is impossible to remove. Why are corned beef tins square? Ring pull tins defeat me. I turn them upside down and use can opener. To release the vacuum on jars I use my seventy year oldfashioned can opener under the rim of the lid.

humptydumpty Wed 12-Jun-19 21:04:38

thanks doodle I'll give it a try!

janipat Wed 12-Jun-19 21:03:38

I surely can't be the only one who does remember bra straps adjusting at the front? I think they may have changed to the back for a smoother line at the front, but it makes them impossible to adjust while you're actually wearing it. And definitely second the marking of shampoo and conditioner bottles being very clearly marked in LARGE print.

phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 20:17:22

I do try, Doodle!

Doodle Wed 12-Jun-19 20:13:53

phoenix another cracker. Thank you ?

Doodle Wed 12-Jun-19 20:11:45

2old4hotpants that’s the best laugh I’ve had for ages grin