Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I the only one?

(148 Posts)
gmelon Tue 11-Jun-19 19:17:46

My bedding and towels are washed at sixty degrees.
I sometimes feel I'm the only one left doing so.
All these adverts for washing at thirty make me feel so.
I've never washed anything at thirty.

Culag Tue 18-Jun-19 08:24:08

My towels don’t have lots of bacteria on them. I’m clean when I dry myself.

I wash everything at 40, never used anything higher.

Loislovesstewie Tue 18-Jun-19 07:20:17

I can alter the temperature and spin speed on my washing machine, anything from 90 degrees down to 20, and 1600 spin speed down to 600. I think it depends on machine you have bought. Mine will also take a load of 9 kilos.

M0nica Sun 16-Jun-19 17:14:09

I think washing machines are much less intelligent than in the past.

In the past I had washing machines that had one dial for the length and type of wash and one for the water temperature. Now programmes have set temperatures and you cannot chop and change.

I have some lovely antique cotton table clothes, used on high days and holidays. I always washed them on the delicates programme but at a very high temperature to get stains out so that I didn't need to risk bleaching them. I cannot do that anymore.

In fact I used to vary the temperature a lot, even for my weekly wash, where the programme remained unchanged but the temperature varied depending on what was in the machine.

Fennel Sun 16-Jun-19 12:33:23

Terri - could have been me. But it's only temporary . I have to shower with some special stuff for 5 days before an operation on Tuesday, use a clean towel etc, plus bedding and underclothes every time.
I assure you it won't last - I'm another one who thinks a few germs don't do you any harm. I fact they toughen you up.

Gonegirl Sun 16-Jun-19 11:08:11

Most washing machines are "intelligent" these days, so only use just enough water for the amount of washing in there. So a 90 degree wash isn't that expensive. I wash DH's hankies at that temperature when he has a cold (refuses to use tissues hmm).

TerriBull Sun 16-Jun-19 08:11:36

We put our dishcloths, not drying up cloths, in the dishwasher, it's pretty hot in there and they come out a lot fresher.

TerriBull Sun 16-Jun-19 08:08:37

Some ridiculous person, can't remember who suggested towels be washed after every use, why? unless you happen to have the Bubonic Plague shock even hotels encourage guests to use their towels a few more times than that!

TerriBull Sun 16-Jun-19 08:05:23

I wash pretty much everything at 40, I don't think I've ever used what's called a "boil wash". I did read somewhere that underwear, hankies, towels shouldn't be washed at 30 as they will still retain bacteria. I don't use fabric conditioner, it seems somewhat superfluous to me and I think clothes can reek of it once they're dry. I use powder on whites and liquid detergent on colours and darks.

mcem Sat 15-Jun-19 22:32:08

90°??? That's shameful and irresponsible.
You really need to rethink that!

lemongrove Sat 15-Jun-19 16:26:07

I use biological powder and wash towels, or shirts, undies,
Bedding at 40c on a wash that takes about 45 mins.
Other clothes at 30c on a half hour quick wash.Everything comes out really clean.

Floradora9 Sat 15-Jun-19 16:19:41

Never washed anything at 60 degrees in my life. What a lot of electricity is being used for this . What about saving the planet ladies ?

Marmight Sat 15-Jun-19 15:29:34

Blimey! If I washed my 'underpants' at 90° they'd evaporate... I don't think I've ever washed anything at that temperature. Quickest and lowest temp for me. I think some folk are obsessed with germs & cleanliness for no good reason shock

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-19 11:58:28

PS I use an Eco Egg and usually wash at 30 degrees.

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-19 11:54:23

Wash at 90 degrees? What a waste of electricity. What happens when you put your washing on the line? There must be bacteria floating around, not to mention fungal spores and allergenic pollen. As soon as your bedlinen is put to use, back come the bacteria and what-have-you. So unless this washing takes place every day, you're just on a hiding to nothing. The bacteria will win. I guarantee that those of us who wash at low temperatures will be no more susceptible to colds and other infections than those who wastefully wash at 90. I should add that in New Zealand it is customary to use only the cold setting on washing machines and that is a pretty healthy country.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 15-Jun-19 11:43:34

I wash sheets, pillowslips and duvet covers at 90 degrees and bath towels, underpants, dishcloths and tea towels at that heat too.

Nylon underwear and fine linen or cotton blouses at 30 degrees and dirtier cotton items at 60.

A lot of germs and viruses can happily survive lower temperatures.

Granless Fri 14-Jun-19 12:54:33

..... towels only - a lot of bacteria there!

Granless Fri 14-Jun-19 08:16:58

No you’re not! I wash at 60 degrees, do not put fabric conditioner in the drawer but add a slosh of white vinegar instead. Hey ho ..... soft towel. Fabric conditioner stops your towel from being absorbent.

Missiseff Fri 14-Jun-19 07:35:40

Are people really so set in their ways that they can't listen to what's harmful to the planet? There's good reasons why we're advised to wash at 30 degrees. The fact that washing machines and detergents are designed to help us do that is called progress! What our mothers and grandmothers used to do is irrelevant, we've moved on since then thankfully! Mine used to fry things in lard but I would never dream of using anything other than olive oil. Times have changed, we know better. Or some of us do it seems.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 19:19:33

Washing things inside out protects the colour. The bashing against the machine knocks the colour out.

It's true.

instagran Thu 13-Jun-19 19:14:03

I remember my mother and gran saying best to wash things inside out being hangover from the past, when lice would lurk in seams and plackets. This was also given as the reason why everything had to be ironed, to kill any visitors which had escaped the laundry purge.
It is also a fact that buttons etc. are less likely to be lost if garment washed inside out.

CaroleAnne Thu 13-Jun-19 11:19:51

I wash most things on 40. Have done for always.
Maw I absolutely agree with you.
Incidently while I have the opportunity to speak to you Maw I would like to thank you for your recommendation of the Gretta Mulrooney books. Excellent reading.

goldengirl Thu 13-Jun-19 10:20:29

I generally use 40 degrees for towels, sheets etc and 30 degrees for clothes

Saggi Thu 13-Jun-19 05:36:05

Quick wash for all darks..... neither if us is in employment ... don’t sweat excessively.... and most things just need a ‘quick wash’. Bedding and towels at 60*. White cottons 60* and once a month 90*.

CocoPops Thu 13-Jun-19 05:27:46

I use the cold cycle on the washing machine with a detergent specifically made for cold water. It saves about
15 lbs of carbon emissions per load and cuts your energy use. I dry clothes naturally and very rarely use the dryer.

gmelon Thu 13-Jun-19 00:27:18

Years and years ago I twigged why those houses were called Llamedos. It is a very clever username too.