Gransnet forums

Chat

Something I have always wanted to do.

(91 Posts)
NanKate Sat 15-Jun-19 15:06:48

If I am perfectly honest I do not have any artistic talents when it comes to drawing but I often sit doodling. When I see some of the wonderful artists on Countryfile I envy how they can draw plants and animals.

Today I bought myself a book called 'By the end of this book you will be able to draw'. I am so excited by the prospect of following the simple guidelines and producing something I am pleased with.

DH is quite artistic and if I asked him to sketch something for me it would be recognisable. However I am not telling him about my acquisition as I think he would be surprised that I even wanted to try and he would take over trying to be helpful and I don't want that. So until I can produce something presentable I am only sharing the knowledge with my GN pals.

Do you have something you would like to try ?

Tillybelle Sun 16-Jun-19 17:48:40

lmm6. I agree! I think - "Beginners" should be for beginners! I went to "Beginners Italian". They were all talking to each other when I arrived. In Italian.

FarNorth Sun 16-Jun-19 18:03:33

I have never been able to draw or paint at all and all my art teachers were as described above - gave no help at all and left us to get on with it.
I started on a book called 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' and actually managed a couple of little drawings, but life intervened - I should give it another go.
An interesting exercise was to copy an upside-down sketch from the book. As the brain isn't thinking 'Oh yes, that's a cat / chair / whatever' it has to pay attention to the actual lines that need to be drawn.

I wish I could play a musical instrument but I can't. I have been lucky enough to join a handbell group, tho, which is lots of fun. smile

Barmeyoldbat Sun 16-Jun-19 18:33:24

I would just love to be able to play the clarinet, especially Stanger on the Shore but despite my best efforts I just cannot get a note of it. All the puffing and blowing etc, nothing. A chap who plays outside our supermarket sometime showed me how to blow and gave me some tips but still no sound. So I just dream.

annodomini Sun 16-Jun-19 19:06:27

I would really like to crochet. I can knit quite complicated patterns but have never mastered crochet. A lady who owned a craft shop in the village ran a short course two years ago. At the end of the course I thought I had just about got the hang of it but then I fell and damaged a finger and couldn't hold the hook comfortably. After that I broke a shoulder. By the time it healed, I had again lost the knack and don't see myself ever regaining it.

NanKate Sun 16-Jun-19 20:56:44

Hi folks. Day 2 of my voyage into the unknown. I’ve got my HB pencil and have drawn a mug with a handle which looks lifelike and then a glass bottle. Both I am pleased with because up until now I only doodled circles and squares.

The book’You will be able to draw by the end of this book’ by Jake Spicer is proving to do just what it says, but of course these are early days. Do reconsider Tilly buying the book. It would be lovely to have someone to discuss the drawing tasks with.

I put a tick against every instruction I read to make sure I don’t miss anything.

I am getting childlike fun out of achieving something I thought was impossible. ?✍️

Mistymorningstar Sun 16-Jun-19 22:17:29

I would like to learn how to rock paint. When my beautiful cat was alive she loved to sit under the Vibernum tree close to the fence where she felt private, safe, and yet there was enough sun to give her the warmth cats so love. She would clean herself constantly and after passing i constantly without thinking look over and she is no longer there. I would love to paint her face on a large stone/rock as i have seen so many over the years and place it where she once loved to be and call it "Morks Garden" But i am not talented in art and perhaps buy a book showing me how to go about it when i have recovered from my hip replacement surgery. My ex decorator after wife passed took up mosiac work - which i think is a stunning hobby to take up - imagine making a beautiful table - but when i hinted on taking a look he suggested i learn from books like he did - damn !!!!!

crazyH Sun 16-Jun-19 22:26:18

I would like to write my story, not that my life is anything special, and not that I want to write for the whole world to read, but just for my children and grandchildren. I give them snippets here and there, but nothing like seeing it in writing....I'd better get started then .......

natasha1 Sun 16-Jun-19 22:47:26

Well done. What an achievement.

natasha1 Sun 16-Jun-19 22:51:10

Keep it up you are doing well.
I've always wanted to have a go at throwing a pot on a potter's wheel, have found somewhere I could.do it so hoping to have a go later in the summer.

Grandma2213 Mon 17-Jun-19 02:00:10

I believe in having a go (often a second chance) at whatever you want. I have been to pottery lessons, woodwork classes, yoga, done Pilates, Zumba and building a family tree, with lots of historical research, as well as attempting an autobiography or at least a record of my life.

Like many others my school art lessons were useless. Since then I have found that copying drawings helps and must teach you something! When unemployed I took advantage of free water colour painting lessons with some success (though not brilliant!) because of a sympathetic and helpful teacher. I even sold one painting!

Birthday gifts from DS's included a helicopter flight, hot air balloon ride and indoor sky dive. I think they understand me!!

glammanana After years of wishing, I joined a choir after I retired and it is now my highlight of the week. We have also done lots of charity gigs and some major performances at the Royal College of Music and Abbey Road , exceeding my wildest dreams. It is inspiring to be part of something so special and though my little voice is part of the whole, one or two small mistakes of mine are not really noticeable so that is great for my own self esteem.

I still want to learn to play the piano and do a parachute jump but am somewhat tied down with DGC care so have to wait for those ones.

BradfordLass72 Mon 17-Jun-19 05:29:17

NanKate This is all so exciting, not just for you but for all of us to see you boldly going where you haven't been before!! smile

CONGRATULATIONS on your courage. flowers

NanKate Mon 17-Jun-19 06:26:55

Thank you BradfordLass I am just hoping that a few of us take the plunge and start a new hobby.

mistymorning your idea of putting your much loved cat’s face on a stone in the garden is just wonderful. Could you find a photo and slowly but surely start sketching your cat’s face and then look up online how to paint one on a stone? Just a suggestion but it could be your project for 2019.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 17-Jun-19 09:04:50

I've always wanted to be able to sing or play the guitar, sadly I can do neither. I have got a ukelele in the corner of the spare room which I sometimes get out of the box but I believe that I should practice a little every single day and other things take preference. The odd times when I do get it out I make an awful racket. Thank goodness for good insulation or I'd have the neighbours complaining.

blue60 Mon 17-Jun-19 12:43:58

I have always wanted to paint 'properly'. So I signed up to Anna Mason's school, and can now paint on my own without tuition. Here's the latest, an Iris from the allotment.

Gonegirl Mon 17-Jun-19 13:52:43

blue60 That is really lovely!

Witzend Mon 17-Jun-19 15:00:53

blue50, that is beautiful!

Greyduster Mon 17-Jun-19 15:26:17

Superb! You have a talent!

NanKate Mon 17-Jun-19 15:29:55

That is fabulous Blue. ?

Happiyogi Mon 17-Jun-19 15:41:17

What a lovely iris, blue60.

I'd like to act, but just typing the words is giving me stage fright!

NannyC1 Mon 17-Jun-19 16:21:10

Greyduster. Go for it with the boat fishing. I was really nervous the 1st time I went now I love it.

craftyone Mon 17-Jun-19 17:20:09

It is too late for me but I wish I could jump a horse

Greyduster Mon 17-Jun-19 19:03:37

NannyC1 I keep telling myself that if people in wheelchairs can fish from boats without ending up over the side, so can I, but it’s a big ask at the moment!

DazedAndConfusedByLife Mon 17-Jun-19 20:12:09

I took up Clarinet 4 years ago but my OH got over-invested and began to nag me if I hadn't yet practiced that day, and would criticise any mistake I made despite him not having a musical note in his body.

In the end he was harassing me so much that I was hating the instrument so I sold it. I really regret that now as when I was left alone I did enjoy it. He doesn't see it that way - in his eyes he was encouraging me. hmm

I think the problem is that he has no hobbies so focuses on mine. He did the same when I worked, he would ask about my day and then that was the subject of his conversation ALL NIGHT and as soon as I opened my eyes in the morning. Utterly soul destroying.

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:14:56

I would love to be able to sing
However, I don't think that any amount of training would produce a result.

Callistemon Mon 17-Jun-19 20:16:15

and I should go back to the piano - why did I give it up when I was 12?