Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(44 Posts)
12Michael Mon 17-Jun-19 06:10:38

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dry but grey start here in Brackley this morning.
A typical day for me, some housework , bank, and later cycling on TV.
Mick

Carillion Mon 17-Jun-19 19:53:08

Marydoll, I love your username. It makes me miss Scotland even more and thank you for the information about the start to the day. Tillybelle also told me about Mick. I really thank you for helping me at the start of being part ot this forum. Thanks so much

Marydoll Mon 17-Jun-19 19:29:10

A warm welcome from me too, Carillion , I do like your user name! smile

You will find this a warm, welcoming thread, where we are very supportive of each other, just like Soop's Kitchen

We always wait for Mick to start the thread off in the morning, usually around 6am, then we come on with a message about the weather in our area and what our plans are for the day .
I was going to write "We post a brief message", but I'm the world's worst for rambling on.! Why use one word, when you can use a dozen! grin

Looking forward to see you posting tomorrow.

Carillion Mon 17-Jun-19 19:27:35

Hello Mapleleaf and thank you for your message. I thank you and Tillybelle so much for your responses today. I thought I'd responded to your message earlier but I think I didn't get it right so if I'm repeating myself, so sorry.

I was only once before a member of a forum which was a craft forum so I'm a bit rusty but I'll try to understand what to do because I really want to be part of such a nice group of friends.

It's nearly 8.30pm local time now but the sun is still shining! All round a very nice day.

Thank you so much for your welcome.

Mapleleaf Mon 17-Jun-19 16:31:18

Welcome, Carillion. You are definitely able to join us. Some of us aren’t grans, others are - it makes no difference. Some grans are like you, and gran to step children. There are also grandads, too, as Tillybelle says.
People post from all around the world, including New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, France to name just a few countries.
I love Brittany - have visited several times.

Carillion Mon 17-Jun-19 16:14:49

Hello Tillybelle! Thank you for such a lovely welcoming message, it made my day to receive it. I am really looking forward to being part of the forum and unless I hear that I might not fit with the rules I'll hope I'm 'good to go'! We had a misty morning here in Brittany but the rest of the day has been warm...unlike the last couple of weeks which have been unseasonably wet and cold...even lost the broad beans and courgettes which are usually pretty well established by now. Thank you again for your lovely message.

Tillybelle Mon 17-Jun-19 15:25:58

HannahLoisLuke. I know I am a bit "off the wall" but I couldn't help finding your phrase amusing! In the nicest possible way! Desperate to clip my ten box balls
Ok I need to get a grip on myself! They sound lovely actually and I admire you for being able to create them. The best I could do were some kind of conical things over 30 years ago in Kent. Then my husband said they smelled of "cat's pee" and pulled them out!!

Tillybelle Mon 17-Jun-19 15:18:03

Carillion. (Such a lovely, musical, Celtic name!) Welcome!! Yes! I am sure you can join even without looking at the "rules"! I remember reading of members who are not blessed with their own offspring. It would be so cruel to debar a person because they did not have their own child or grand child. Two of my closest friends have been denied the joy of giving birth and are the most wonderful people to whom I turn for help, advice and often for comfort. They would be ideal examples of excellent GransNetters! As for you - you are extremely experienced as far as families and generations go. Many topics are not even about such family things anyway so it hardly matters - anyone is sure to find things of interest to them and people to "talk" to! There are Grandads too who contribute in such a valuable way, such as this most reliable and supportive page set up by 12Michael or 'Mick", where you can always find someone saying "hello". People are many and varied with a vast range of backgrounds. This is what makes it so rich I think. The only thing I had a little trouble to get used to was the use of Acronyms - e.g. DGC =dear grandchildren and AC = adult children and GP isn't usually your doctor but is "Grand Parent"!

As for living in France - There are certainly members from all over the world! It will be wonderful to hear from Brittany as far as I am concerned! I can't travel now so it's good to hear from people in other places, especially places I love such as France.

Pear and lemon jam.... mmmm that sounds so delicious! ??

Carillion Mon 17-Jun-19 14:29:13

Good afternoon everyone. I joined gransnet about twenty minutes ago but need to check with you that I'll be allowed to join! I ask this for two reasons...(I found the link when looking for a recipe for pear and lemon jam and have a UK email). I was born in Southport but also lived in the Scottish Borders for fourteen years before moving to Brittany five years ago so first question, because I'm in France does that mean I can't be part of gransnet? ...and secondly, I'm a step grandma of five, does being a step grandma still allow me to join? I was married to my husband before any of them were born and love them dearly and they call me 'Grandma' so I hope I can be part of the group. Thank you

HannahLoisLuke Mon 17-Jun-19 13:50:32

Morning everyone from Warwickshire.
Bright and sunny first thing.
Ex H had asked I could take him for hospital appointment as not allowed to drive.
Home again and mowed lawn.
Desperate to clip my ten box balls but daren't until we have a dry forecast for at least three days in case of introducing box blight.
Thurs looks hopeful at the moment.

Legs55 Mon 17-Jun-19 12:22:35

Good afternoon, grey but fairly warm here in Devon. Late coming on as I was late getting up & will end up chasing my tail all day. Already been out to collect a prescription & drop neighbour's prescription at Surgery. Said neighbour came round & sat chatting for ageshmm.

Housework/gardening this afternoon depending on the weather

Tillybelle Mon 17-Jun-19 12:09:13

Nannytopsy. How odd! You don't live near me do you? A big noise disturbed my "burglar alarms" (dogs) around 4 am. No choice but to get up and see what it was and let them out - like us when disturbed in the night they need a wee! Didn't see the culprits though. Hard to get back to sleep - dawn chorus very loud!

Tillybelle Mon 17-Jun-19 12:04:41

Good Morning (just!) Mick and all,

Windy and no sun but not that cold here in S. Notts. Really must go out because I am out of so many staples for food cupboard. Very hard to move with the pain in the mornings but that is as always. To all with conditions similar to mine, that stop us going out much and doing what we'd love to do - a special hello and best wishes for a comfortable and happy day.

I do hope you feel up to treating yourself Marydoll It's been ages since I went to M&S - maybe you have inspired me - there is a small food one with some clothes about 20 mins drive away from me but I hate the drive! Time to push myself maybe.

By the time you see this MawBroonsback I expect you will have returned from the funeral so I do hope it went as well as a funeral can be expected and that it did not upset you too much. So sad when the memories flood back. Be kind to yourself and cuddle your dear lovely dog.

oldgaijin grin Brilliant! Really lifted my spirits. May I put it on my wall please?

Justme67 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:49:17

Well I am very late this morning, busy reading some posts, then got caught up in talking to a neighbour, then ...Oh! what does it matter, I am late with my post to say good morning to you all, the sky at the moment is blue and has been for some time with the clouds gathering around us. Think they might pass over, without any rain, that often happens in this corner of the world we shall see. Take care, enjoy the rest of the day.

NanKate Mon 17-Jun-19 11:25:12

Love the poem Oldgaijin. Hope the chemo sessions are behind you soon.

Marydoll you need to treat yourself in M an S, bought some lovely trousers (2 pairs in fact) all stretchy and light weight from M and S. I feel an inclination to buy some more ?

Nannytopsy Mon 17-Jun-19 11:03:53

A very late good morning you all. A dog/cat confrontation at 4am lead to me oversleeping!
Washing out, charity shop run done, bed stripped and sheets in the wash, now off to wLk said dog.

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jun-19 09:52:04

Good morning All x
Bit of a dull day so far and I don't think rain is too far away.
Some tidying up to do----Why, when there's only me and the cats ? Hoovering too. Family due back from their Yorkshire weekend so will pop in later I expect.

Not much else on the agenda apart from a couple of phone-calls and a letter to write and get sent off.

Hope appointments and tests go well for those awaiting results.

Enjoy your day whatever you do.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Jun-19 09:37:39

Morning Michael, Annie and all. Back from our few days away. It was lovely, but it’s still so nice to be home. Two loads of washing done, and another to go in. DH put out cereal for his breakfast, then wondered where the milk was? Did he get any out of the freezer last night, No! (Grumpy chops). Came home to a message that his hospital app’t for this week had been cancelled, and moved to July.
Probably have coffee with neighbours later.
Have a good day one and all.

Mythbirtthedragon Mon 17-Jun-19 09:25:26

Good morning from east London, bit cloudy but forecast says no rain. Tennis at lunchtime, my arm feels stiff after last night’s match but will hopefully rally with some exercise. Meeting some of the choir after for a look/rehearsal of the music for an event in about 10 days time where we’re singing as part of a massed choir. May be a good idea to have a look at that this morning so at least I recognise some of the notes. Have a good day.

MawBroonsback Mon 17-Jun-19 09:25:03

Good morning all from N Bucks where it is sunny but breezy.
Seriously overslept today- I remember hearing the binmen at 7.30 as usual but must have turned over and gone back to sleep shock
My closest friend’s Mum’s funeral this afternoon.She was 92 less a day or two and had had a major stroke 3 years ago, but nothing prepares you for losing your Mum. It is also my friend’s birthday which is so poignant.
I just hope I hold it together for their sakes, didn’t do too well at a village funeral two weeks ago but that was a huge service and I hope it wasn’t spotted. Today will be very small, just family and the daughters’ friends. When you get to your 90’s there aren’t so many of your peers left or who are fit enough to get out.
Wishing you all a pleasant day.

gillybob Mon 17-Jun-19 09:16:28

A late good morning from me.

It may come as a surprise to some but I hate Monday’s (and Tuesdays, Wednesdays Thursdays ) can just about live with Fridays though. Nothing nice or remotely interesting to say really so I’ll just shove off.

Have a good day everyone x

Urmstongran Mon 17-Jun-19 09:11:10

Good morning everyone from sunny Malaga where we have ‘two more sleeps* as our little grandson would say. It’s Monday so that means wine + tapas with my ladies this afternoon! Well somebody has to do it ....

Your little poem made me smile oldgaijin and I’m in awe that you are managing to stay so upbeat in the middle of your chemo.

You are going through an anxious time too Marydoll and I hope your health bounces back soon.

Hope Monday is good to us all whether we have plans or none. x

Anniebach Mon 17-Jun-19 09:00:10

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

It’s not raining in Mid Wales yet

Hope everyone has a good day x

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 17-Jun-19 08:53:57

Morning all from South Notts, the weather doesn't know what to do yet - it's been bright and then the clouds roll by. Plan to do a bit of gentle housework as still recovering from the dental work but things are looking up at last.
Hope all is well with everyone.

cornergran Mon 17-Jun-19 08:47:06

Morning Mick, morning All from a blessedly dry corner of Somerset. Meeting a friend for lunch after some ironing, then a bit of garden rescue this afternoon if the showers allow. Hope Monday is kind to everyone.

Mapleleaf Mon 17-Jun-19 08:16:59

Good morning,
It's dull and breezy here in South Yorkshire but the sky looks brighter over yonder.
Managed to get the grass cut yesterday even though the sky darkened a couple of times and we had a few heavy rain splodges. We didn't get the downpour though, but it looked as if we were on the edges.
Coffee morning group this morning, ironing this afternoon.
Your little poem made me chuckle, oldgaijin.
Have a good day. ?