Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(102 Posts)
MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 10:28:25

I wish this was not one of my worst weaknesses.
It’s not laziness (I think) but usually something I don’t really want to do which I put off and off perhaps in the hope it won’t be necessary. Taking Hattie to kennels (even booking) for example. I have known for weeks that I am going on a weekend granny duty on Thursday afternoon but have just steeled myself to ring the kennels.

I have 4 bags ready in the garage for the charity shop, but perhaps I don’t really want to part with the contents? (Including some of Paw’s things)

Putting it off does not make it go away and when I do get round to ticking things off my to-do list I feel as if a load has been lifted off my shoulders.
So why?
Anyone else suffer? I would so like to be like the Nike ad - and “just do it! “

Witzend Tue 18-Jun-19 18:30:12

Just wondering, how many procrastinators here are also great readers? (Apart from the likes of reading GN and so on - I mean books/kindle.).

If I've got a good book on the go, which is most of the time, I can happily largely ignore ironing, dusting, hoovering, cleaning out kitchen cupboards, etc. etc.
Preferably with feet up on the sofa!
Exception being when guests are coming to stay. TBH if we never had guests, I'm not sure when the house would ever get a reasonably good blitz!

Oh, and when I did actually clean out a kitchen cupboard not long ago, I found 3 separate lots of oven cleaner. I will leave you to imagine what sort of state the oven was in anyway!

boat Tue 18-Jun-19 18:23:49

My motto seems to be, "Don't put off until tomorrow anything that can be put off until the day after".

I despair. I didn't used to be like this.

I've tried making lists but have had to start to begin each one with, "Make a list", so that there is at least one thing I can cross off.

sodapop Tue 18-Jun-19 17:50:25

Me too Esther1 I set myself targets for the day which I have to accomplish. I have realised though that I have slowed down a bit so I try to be more realistic with my targets.

NannyHill Tue 18-Jun-19 17:13:35

I started a cross stitch sampler for my sons first wedding anniversary it sits in a bag on various door handles round the house. Won’t throw it away as I keep telling myself must finish to give them on their next Anniversary. They have now been married 12 years!!

Glammy57 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:58:35

MawBroonsback. Re. Your post of 15.45 - brilliant and thanks for the laugh! I have still not touched the ironing but did post a parcel which had been sitting next to the front door, for a few days! Shall treat myself to a glass of wine, now! ??

sharon103 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:23:53

P.S.Is there a cure for it?

sharon103 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:22:18

Add my name to the list HaHa! I have lots of CBA days.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:21:17

Life can be more enjoyable if you put off the horrid stuff and read a book instead, but the guilt gets to you in the end and you have to rouse yourself.
There must be a happy medium somewhere - I'm still looking for it!

BlueBelle Tue 18-Jun-19 16:11:52

Hey MawBroon how did you know my middle name?
Yes I suffer too and I realised how bad when I wrote on a list of things ‘to do’ this year and amongst it was to get my bathroom light cord mended, the other day a memory popped up on Facebook of me saying I must get my bathroom cord fixed so I can use the light again It was dated 3 years ago
Oh I m ashamed

Esther1 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:10:48

Please don’t mock me but I sort of wish I actually could procrastinate. I can’t settle down and relax unless every box is ticked. It’s quite wearing!

Happiyogi Tue 18-Jun-19 16:08:47

Witzend what a glorious cardigan. No wonder the moths wanted to feast on it! Well done for the restoration work.

I have read that we can be divided into "sprinters" and "marathoners". Those who, with a deadline six months hence, begin to tackle the task and clear it out of the way with bags of time to spare are marathoners. The others, who don't blaze into action until the finishing line is in sight are...most of us on this thread!

MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 15:52:20

Jaxie - enjoy! Is it the new Jackson Brodie?

MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 15:49:11

To tillybelle and others, I think the problem may centre on the fact that when there is so much to do, “flight” takes over from “fight”.
So here’s an idea, write down 6 things of roughly equal time/effort/necessity which you need to do (you know, Irish backstop, peace in the Middle East, resolving Brexit curing the common cold etc) grin ) ordinary things, and number them.
Roll a dice (or die if we are being accurate) and whichever side comes up, do that job.
Then play on GN, have a coffee, polish your halo or whatever until, flushed with success you roll again!
Let me know if it works - I am still thinking about it.
PS Tillybelle order that dishwasher - no procrastinating there!

MawBroonsback Tue 18-Jun-19 15:40:58

A lovely cardi Witzend and so worth saving.
You may take a rest now!

DanniRae Tue 18-Jun-19 15:37:37

Oh Witzend that is a beautiful cardigan.......no wonder you wanted to rescue it! smile

EthelJ Tue 18-Jun-19 15:27:05

Me too, mainky with ironing, and other housework. There is always something more interesting to do!

pinkjj27 Tue 18-Jun-19 15:13:57

Yep in fact I put off answering your post till now wink

Callistemon Tue 18-Jun-19 15:12:24

This is me, too, MawBroon
One of my DC is just as bad - as one of her teachers said "she produces some excellent work when her back's against the wall"! It must have worked.

I do think about things though, idly make lists in my head before I get up in the mornings.
That's productive, isn't it?

Amagran Tue 18-Jun-19 14:37:42

Like GreenGran, I'm going to reply to this post later...…..

Rufus2 Tue 18-Jun-19 14:25:11

My favourite saying is Don't do today what you cant put off until tomorrow
Vennal; Surely you mean "don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow"? Otherwise you're not a true procrastinator. grin
And what's with all these posters and ironing? Who irons things in these modern times? Man invented "drip-dry" to remove that drudgery; I live on my own now and I wouldn't know one end of an iron from the other. That's what I call permanent procrastination.! grin

Tillybelle Tue 18-Jun-19 14:16:10

MawBroonsback. Oh Maw! This is my most terrible sin! That awful saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" absolutely terrifies me!

I have so much to get on with here after the evil builders' devastation. I find it very hard to know where to start and of course it's all very painful. Just moving a couple of books hurts my hands. I have stacks of stuff for the Charity shop but can't take it because I can't carry it. I'm hoping my tip Recycling Centre are as good as their word and do take clothes to be recycled.

The dishwasher broke a couple of months ago and I decided as I live alone I don't need one. But I really do think it might be better if I had one.... As soon as I finish washing up I find another mug or something that needs washing..

I never finish the ironing any more! Pain being the reason again.

I need to wrap a parcel but the contents are breakable and I'm daunted....

Actually I will let the dogs out now! It's time they had a run and would you believe it? the sun has gone in! I was going to sit outside with a cup of tea while they ran around.

Good luck Maw and everyone! I daren't send a photo of my devastation!

Elderlyfirsttimegran Tue 18-Jun-19 14:06:43

OMG! Do I. I know exactly what you mean especially putting off booking the dog in, although I no longer have a dog! I’ve been shopping this morning, following GN advice at Aldi, and should be ironing. What am I doing? Feeling drowsy, trying to do a crossword! There’s always tomorrow or the day after.

Glammy57 Tue 18-Jun-19 13:49:28

I’m the same - two baskets of clothes waiting to be ironed. Weeks overdue in emailing a good friend. I could go on....

BBbevan Tue 18-Jun-19 13:35:31

I just can't sit if I know there are things to do. I used to be an awful procrastinator when younger. But now it's 'up and at'em" first thing. Is it age do you think?

Squiffy Tue 18-Jun-19 13:34:30

This sums it up for some of us, doesn't it?!