Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop’s kitchen, filled with kindness, understanding and some damn fine cake ! Come on in.

(1001 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Thu 20-Jun-19 09:07:28

Hello familiar faces and new ones too - come in for a chat or to share your cares !

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Jun-19 18:08:04

Good to have you back safe and sound soop.

I am reclining on my sofa with a glass of nicely chilled white wine whilst our eldest son, his wife and our daughter are cooking dinner tonight with much laughter(Gurkha curry with what seems like an extraordinary amount of accompaniments). Let’s hope they are as enthusiastic about the clearing up!!!!

Will keep you informed of the deliciousness ?????

Carillion Thu 20-Jun-19 18:29:31

Thank you soop for the kind welcome! It was lovely to read where you have been. I lived in Scotland for fourteen years, mainly in the Ballater and then the Scottish Borders and we spent all our spare time rravelling all over Scotland. I loved every single day.

Carillion Thu 20-Jun-19 18:31:27

I think I meant 'travelling'! Oops

Greyduster Thu 20-Jun-19 20:11:44

Good evening one and all and welcome home, dear Soop, from your Heeland sojourn! Great photos! (I think Brodie has his sights set on staying!). Last time we went to Scotland we travelled across Rannoch Moor. The weather was filthy. It was ‘atmospheric’! Very good Army friends of ours had two sons at Rannoch School. Very isolated and spartan apparently but they loved it.
Well, we have just had a tottering time in the garden when the tap on our full-to-the-brim water butt broke ? and we had to run around filling everything we could find and then emptying them on the garden as fast as we could! DH was determined not to waste the water and it finally ran out with three full buckets, two full watering cans and a large trugful left! I like watering to be a leisurely occupation. All we needed was Dukas’ ‘Sorcerer’s Apprentice’ belting away in the background!! Anyway, now I am collapsed in a chair with a Sipsmith and tonic in a glass big enough for a polar bear to swim in (my DiL bought them for me for Christmas. She has my measure I think!).
We are going to have a day at the coast tomorrow, rock pooling, bird watching, hunting for sea glass and eating fish and chips! Going to be a hot one! Enjoy your evening folks!

Doodle Thu 20-Jun-19 20:14:15

Welcome home soop. As soon as you’ve caught up we’ll open the bubbly and celebrate your return ?

Greyduster Thu 20-Jun-19 20:14:39

GrannyGravy if DH had read your post he would be beating a path to your door! He has loved Gurkha curry since he served with them in Borneo. There’s a Gurkha restaurant somewhere we keep meaning to search out!

annodomini Thu 20-Jun-19 20:19:41

soop, please don't tell me you've missed Andy Murray's come-back as a doubles player. It's just finished and he and his partner Feliciano Lopez have beaten the number one doubles pair! Nail-biting, but they got better and better as the match went on.
Glad you had such a super time in the Highlands. What a treat to see the Inverewe Gardens. Until they see them, people don't believe that there are sub-tropical plants on the west coast of Scotland. I'd love to see them again. You were clever to visit before the midges got their boots on (as my DF used to say).

NanaandGrampy Thu 20-Jun-19 20:45:49

Evening all,

Welcome home soop ! We missed you ! Lovely photos , you look wonderful.

I’m not sure how many kitchens we’ve had Callgirl I wonder if HQ know?

Doodle , champagne... how lovely - make mine a large one please ?

Hello Nannyfaraway ! Champagne? ???

That brioche sounds just the ticket Carrilion ! Pass it over please.

It has been a busy day here , shopping for the weekend for when our girls arrive and then watching the blinds being fitted finally in the orangery. I needed a sit down after that !

GrannyGravy I loved the sound of your evening and that’s what we’re hoping for with a weekend with our daughters. It’s a rare and lovely thing not to have DGC and husbands too .

Well , time to go , I have a guilty pleasure to partake of...I’m not telling you lot because you’ll have me committed !!

Have a lovely evening all .

kittylester Thu 20-Jun-19 20:49:14

What a lovely new kitchen. And lots of cake. cupcake

Good to see you back soop. You sound as though you had a super time!

gd, that sounds ds an entertaining g time! Hope the curry was as good as it sounds.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's friend, dragonfly, that must have put a damper on your lovely weekend.

We met dh's brother and wife at Belton House. It only rained once, the gardens were beautiful but the food was not brilliant. We had a good catch up but bil's arthritis and general health are a huge worry.

lemongrove Thu 20-Jun-19 20:55:36

......stomps into the kitchen in new red stilettos and bellows ‘ where is this damn fine cake then?’
High time you made some for the Argy Bargy bar Soop
Instead of gallivanting around the Highlands! ?

callgirl1 Thu 20-Jun-19 21:25:38

CharleyG, are you sure you`ll have room for all these "neglected" pets that you`re planning on giving a home to, lol?

Bordersgirl57 Thu 20-Jun-19 21:36:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NanaandGrampy Thu 20-Jun-19 21:48:25

Welcome * Bordersgirl* !

Cake cures everything that ails you ( even if it’s virtual cake lol) .

Have a seat - there’s bubbly too! We know how to live !!

Lemongrove nice shoes ?..... but you forgot your bra ! Just saying - don’t want you to turn round sharply and do yourself a mischief ( or an innocent bystander lol ) x

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Jun-19 21:56:18

Welcome Bordergirl no need to lurk- I promise we will not bite your head off here.

callgirl| Tara does not really need two bedrooms and I have a decent sized kitchen/diner.

Seriously, you will be lucky if you get a space for Mia because it is such a popular time.

I believe sunshine and warm weather are coming in our direction this weekend, I am looking forward to that.
TOYA

Carillion Thu 20-Jun-19 21:57:37

Hello Bordersgirl57, I'm newish too...sending you some choccy truffles to have with some hot chocolate smile or a glass of sparkly ?

callgirl1 Thu 20-Jun-19 22:00:08

CharleyG, I hope I do get Mia booked in, but if not, I`ll have to work on a few relatives. Lynne will be here, but she can`t feed her.

Galen Thu 20-Jun-19 22:04:51

I grow lemon trees on my patio!
I’ve never had any elephants.
I always wondered why?
Now I know!

Lins1066 Thu 20-Jun-19 22:12:26

I had a clean bill of health today at the dentist so I can partake of any cake that's going, though brioche and jam sounds so good.
You certainly packed a lot into your Highlands break Soop it sounds lovely. We came across Glencoe behind a snow plough many moons ago, I'm so glad that you had better weather. Brodie will have missed you.

Welcome Bordersgirl57
TOYA

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Jun-19 22:26:03

Sorry for late update - Gurkha curry and extras were scrumptious. I have returned to my reclining position on sofa!!! Will look at my kitchen tomorrow.

Goodnight TOYA??

(have curry recipe if anyone would like it)

Bellanonna Thu 20-Jun-19 22:44:12

Welcome back home Soop. Welcome to the Kitchen Bordersgirl.

Nannytopsy Thu 20-Jun-19 22:53:26

Welcome Bordersgirl!
Did someone say champers? Here’s my large (and empty) glass!
Soop I went to Inverewe Gardens roughly 50 years ago with my mum and dad. You have reminded me that I had the large card ticket with a very 60s design as my bookmark for years!

Doodle Thu 20-Jun-19 23:09:30

Just as well you’ve got the lemon trees then galen, otherwise your lovely garden would be trampled by herds of elephants ? ?

Galen Thu 20-Jun-19 23:20:06

Well, I always did worry about if there were any around in the vicinity
As you would in N Somerset ?

kittylester Fri 21-Jun-19 07:40:52

Thanks for that tip, galen. Those pesky elephants keep trampling the back wall down. I suspect they are trying to get to the bird food.

Welcome bordersgirl cupcake

We have Wolfie and DD3 coming later. She has asked if she can look at my wedding veil with a view to borrowing it. I got it out, blew the thick layer of dust off blush and discovered the price on the box. It cost 36 shillings (£1.80) shock

Nannytopsy Fri 21-Jun-19 09:13:55

I still have my 1978 wedding dress if she is interested Kitty! grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion