Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you ask?

(105 Posts)
Bopeep14 Fri 21-Jun-19 20:42:29

I have just been browsing mumsnet, and was reading a post entitled in laws...at boiling point.
Basically she has her child looked after by a family member for 3 days a week on one day its her in laws.
She is annoyed because they have asked her to supply everything for her child ie nappies, wipes, food etc. Most of the replies have been positive ie have some shopping delivered for them as they are providing free child care, others have said put the child in nursery another day, she has every right to be annoyed.
This has been on my mind lately as the summer holidays are approaching fast and i will have a couple of extra mouths to feed, for three meals a day would i be a horrible person to ask my daughter in law to provide a little food for the extra mouths. I am really feeling the pinch having to feed the one at the moment, even though most of it goes in the bin as he is a terrible eater. She does supply his nappies and wipes. I actually think this women needs to be grateful that she has free child care, but thats just my opinion though.

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 17:40:10

Used it on mine before now! shock

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 17:57:22

Are you my friend from years ago? Heading for my child with a dirty dishcloth before I got out my big hanky and scrubbed his face with a bit of spit on a hanky!!

Gonegirl Tue 25-Jun-19 18:35:53

My dishcloth's fairly clean! Would never do the spit thing though. Eeurghhh! grin

Lilyflower Wed 26-Jun-19 07:14:58

OP, you are providing a couple of hundreds of pounds worth of care a day. Financially, you are being exploited.

I know that you love your DGC and want to help but, really, it is perfectly OK to ask for some assistance with the cost of feeding someone else’s children.

Hint that you might not be able to offer the care so the DIL has to face the reality of paying or juggling childcare options. She will soon come to see what a treasure you are and cough up.