Gransnet forums

Chat

Prodigal Sons

(27 Posts)
Granny23 Mon 24-Jun-19 16:03:04

Following the threads about Chris Davis, Boris Johnson and Mark Field over the past few days has caused me to think deeply about the issues raised. My thoughts keep returning to the parable of the Prodigal Son. I was brought up as a Christian and although I am no longer a believer I have found the parables - particularly the Good Samaritan - to be good, solid guidelines for those wishing to live as a decent, caring human being.

I have, however, always had a bit of a problem with the Prodigal Son. You know, the one where Son number one, abandons his aged father, squandering his inheritance by indulging in riotous living, until he is ruined, when he returns, seeking his father's mercy.

My sympathies lay with the other Son (though sometimes I thought it more likely that it was a dutiful daughter), who worked hard to take care of the Father and the farm without complaint, nor much reward. This Son was instructed to prepare a huge feast to celebrate the return of the now penniless, prodigal son.

I see so many parallels in today's world, when Celebrities/ Royals/politicians and Senior figures in Business who behave badly are feted and given hours of air time and column inches . Excuses are made for their behaviour and the enormous stress they are under is mentioned.

No such glory for your average, decent, person, working hard to care for their family and bring them up to be good citizens. Some coping with the stress of living in poverty, or just making ends meet, with careful budgeting, while perhaps coping with a disability or caring 24/7 for a child' parent or spouse. These honest people, who used to be considered the 'Salt of the Earth' are now dismissed as, at best, Mugs, Sheep, lacking in ambition or at worse 'drains on society' They are the ones considered feckless when they are unable to afford to buy a house, or dress their children in the expensive prescribed school uniform. No excuses are made for them if they drink to excess, instead they are doubly condemned for spending money that should have been devoted to essentials.

These are my thoughts on today's society. I wonder if many would agree with me?

sodapop Tue 25-Jun-19 17:29:24

Yes I hadn't thought of it like that MOnica You are right of course.