Gransnet forums

Chat

Isn't it funny the things you remember

(22 Posts)
kittylester Tue 25-Jun-19 12:48:38

This morning, I made some gluten free scones from a new recipe which had the all the flours mixed with the sugar before being rubbing the butter in.

As a child totally lacking in confidence, I once did exactly that while making scones at school and our Domestic Science teacher ridiculed me and said she hoped I didn't ever get married and have children as they would starve with my cooking abilities!

I do so wish I could show her the family photos from my 70th birthday photo shoot. All 20 of my happy, healthy, well fed family!!

Obviously, I haven't fed them all, all the time but they haven't starved!!

I'm fairly sure I have mentioned this before so apologise but it still rankles.

Who would you like to prove a point to, years later?

EllanVannin Tue 25-Jun-19 13:13:42

My parents I think, who, through my teenage years both vowed that I wouldn't see 50. I worked hard and played hard ( as you do ) sometimes coming in from a night out and getting bathed and changed for work that morning.
Sadly, dad died at 70 and mum at 67 after their " clean lives " and here am I 80 next year and still going. So who was right? Neither of them were alive to see me turn 50.

Jane10 Tue 25-Jun-19 13:19:34

My university tutor told me after marking my first essay 'You're not writing for a ladies magazine!'
Now I am! Take that Miss G!

ninathenana Tue 25-Jun-19 13:35:17

Oh, I would so love to prove a point to the old bat who told my mum at a parents meeting in primary school that "she will never amount to anything" What a thing to say about a 7 y.o.
Imagine my horror when I discovered she was my typing/shorthand teacher at senior school 6 yrs later. I did learn to touch type and passed the exam plus various others and have always worked, run a home and have been happily married for 44 yrs.
That'll do me !

TwiceAsNice Tue 25-Jun-19 13:43:19

I went to a secondary modern school. Told all the time I was there that I wouldn’t amount to anything ( as was everyone else!)

It gives me great satisfaction that I am now twice as well qualified as any of those teachers (think they did me a favour was determined to prove them wrong) . If I’d only realised at the time if the school was so bad it doesn’t say much for the teachers who taught there, none of them ,with the exception of the English teacher was good enough to teach anywhere!

Urmstongran Tue 25-Jun-19 13:46:30

When our eldest daughter was 9 months old she held my hand and we walked to the local corner shop. 2 houses along not as far as it sounds!

The shopkeeper who was a grumpy old bat noticed her and said ‘well I’m not surprised she’s walking already with those big feet’ (she was wearing leather ‘jumping jacks’).

41y old daughter wears a size 4 shoe.
?

Teetime Tue 25-Jun-19 13:49:41

My clinical tutor said she expected great things of me but expected to be disappointed - I ended up managing 160 nurses and a £3 million service so that wasn't bad.
My mother said I would never be happy...…..sad

quizqueen Tue 25-Jun-19 13:51:06

My year 6 primary teacher, who told my parents I would not pass the 11 plus. I did, his daughter didn't, first time anyway and had to retake the next year! My parents didn't listen to him and I went very happily to the local grammar school.

newnanny Tue 25-Jun-19 14:04:49

I overheard My Physics teacher, who was a personal friend of my Dad's, told my Dad I did not have a snowballs chance in hell of passing my Physics exam. I became determined to prove him wrong. I passed my Physics albeit with a C grade and was cockahoop. I rushed to show him on results day and thought he would be pleased for me but he said it must have been an easy paper this year if you passed, and started mumbling to himself about falling exam standards. I later found out three of his pet boys who he always spend ages helping all failed. Easy paper my foot.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Jun-19 14:06:09

During a summer job I had which related to the degree I was doing my boss told me it was obvious I was on the wrong course. Now I'm in a more senior position than she was and doing very nicely in said field, thank you!

Otoh my maths teacher at school once lost the plot with me when I was chatting as usual at the back of the class. He shouted he could just imagine me yakking to my neighbour over the back of the fence in years to come - and he was spot on!

Nannyxthree Tue 25-Jun-19 15:18:31

My grandmother said I would never be married. I've now been married a lot longer than she was.

My father said I couldn't learn to drive unless I understood how the engine worked. I still don't understand the engine but have been driving for over 40 years. He did know I'd passed my test but it continued to worry him.

lemongrove Tue 25-Jun-19 16:44:45

My domestic science teacher.She used to bring in her husband’s shirts for us to press and liked the collars and cuffs starched first.The collars were separate of course.
She said I couldn't expect to be happily married to a man if I presented such poorly starched floppy collars to him and asked how I would manage.I replied promptly that I would buy him drip dry shirts with collars already on them.The whole class of girls giggled, and I was sent to the Head’s office ( for ‘cheek’).The Head just smiled, and sent me to the library for the rest of the lesson.
So.... Mrs M, there you are, I did get married and my DH was happy enough with my shirt presentation ( drip dry ones.) grin

kittylester Tue 25-Jun-19 17:02:49

What is it with domestic science teachers lemon?

Oldandverygrey Tue 25-Jun-19 17:21:08

They said my marriage wouldn't last, well 55 years down the line, it did, married to a wonderful man, think he is worth hanging onto!

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 17:30:26

My maths teacher told me to give up maths as I was hopeless and I'd be sure to fail at GCE. (She was a rubbish teacher.)
When I passed with a good mark and told her she was very rude and dismissive.
I also took 'A' level maths (and passed).
But didn't become a mathematician, perhaps because I didn't want to end up like her.

Scentia Tue 25-Jun-19 17:33:27

My sister once said my DH would run off with someone else as I never worried about him going clubbing on a Friday night when we were younger. I have been married to him for 30 years now and she is on her third husband! Oh the irony?

Calendargirl Tue 25-Jun-19 18:33:20

My Needlework teacher wrote on one of my reports”Calendargirl must learn to work and not talk in a practical lesson”.
I took little notice of this. Would like to report I became the next Stella McCartney, but sadly she was proved correct and I can hardly sew a button on! ?

NanaMacGeek Tue 25-Jun-19 21:44:51

My new boss implied that I had only been employed by my previous (retired) manager because I was a young blonde. I said I would find another job. Four weeks later, I delivered the large, complex project I was managing, on time and on budget and handed in my notice. When he said he hoped I would change my mind, I'm afraid I wasn't very nice!

Jomarie Tue 25-Jun-19 22:30:46

My boss at one time (incidentally the elder brother of an ex boyfriend so I knew him personally too) accused me of being hypersensitive when I insisted that I wasn't and that he was being unfair he persisted in saying that I was (with a smug smile on his face) - in the end I told him that I would accept his opinion of me provided he accepted my opinion of him that he was a bully! That shut him up!! grin

janeainsworth Tue 25-Jun-19 22:41:20

I only weighed 5lbs 4oz when I was born.
Apparently my paternal grandfather took one look at me and said to my mother, “That’ll never live, girl!” shock
Nearly 70 years later, I’m still heregrin

gillybob Tue 25-Jun-19 23:12:21

My son was 4lb 13 oz born janeainsworth and my daughter 5lb 2 oz.

What the hell did they know eh?

My late (and much loved grandma) could remember falling off a wall aged 7 and (probably) fainting. Coming around She distinctly remembered someone (probably a doctor) telling her mother she wouldn’t see her next birthday . She lived to be 99 ! When she was in her 90’s she used to say she wished she could confront that doctor and say “nah, nah, nah, nah nah” grin

BradfordLass72 Wed 26-Jun-19 06:31:15

Every doctor, health professional and amateur fool who told me that I wouldn't reach 30, 40, 50 etc because I was too fat.

Ya boo sucks to you (who are mostly dead)